Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 01-30-2024, 07:45 AM
Clean

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

In 77 I bought the Tower one for 200 bucks with an extra servo, 4 whole channels. 200 bucks is a pretty good computer radio with way more options and reliability today. Flying 72 Mhz in the 70's a good day is when you didn't get hit buy some CB guy on a linear at least Once while at the field.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:11 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 275 Likes on 240 Posts

I got my first radio in 1974, it was a Heathkit twin stick 3 channel with KPS-9 servos. The old KPS-9 were huge due to having twin linear drive in addition to a servo arm. It was on close out for $125 and I got a third servo thrown in with the deal. I hustled the folks with I needed a kit to build as part of an electronics class, I got an "A" too! Left stick controlled the rudder and the right the elevator with the throttle being on the back on the right side. I used the right thumb for the elevator and index finger for the throttle. If we hadn't moved I would have taken the advance class and hopefully built the Heathkit 5 channel I lusted over. In 1977 I had a job and found a used but never used Kraft 5 channel with KPS-10 servos. I bought it with my income tax refund for $235, what a deal! When I got back into RC in 2004 I paid $185 for a Futaba 6EXA, I was amazed how the hobby prices had come down.

Old 01-31-2024, 06:32 AM
FlyerInOKC

I just had a thought, back in those days .40 - .60 were considered big engines!
Old 01-31-2024, 08:16 AM
mgnostic

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I just had a thought, back in those days .40 - .60 were considered big engines!
Yep, when and where I started flying a .40 was the average size engine. The first RC I ever flew had a .15 Enya.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:04 AM
FlyerInOKC

I started in control line with Cox .049 and a .020. My first RC engine was an OS .20 followed by a .099 Pet. Prior to getting back in the hobby in 2004 I had never built anything larger than a .40 size airplane.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:52 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 155 Likes on 130 Posts

I have been working on my reserve Baron.

Once I'd repaired the wing, the fuselage and tailplane looked scruffy so I removed the old covering, repaired any damage and re-covered them. The grey didn't match anyway because the film was from two different manufacturers. I've usedoff-cutts from rolls of flourescent yellow and orange. I should be able to see it in the sky!

I hope to maiden it this weekend. There's still a bit to do mind.
The following users liked this post:
Flicker (02-07-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 11:10 AM
FlyerInOKC

She looks good David!
Old 01-31-2024, 03:08 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I havenít been here in a good while. Today was a very good day but also a very sad day for me. I sold my full scale Cessna T210L. I owned that aircraft for 27 years and just loved that flying machine. In all the years of ownership it only let me down on one flight home. An oil leak developed when departing Kissimmee airport for Texas..I had to order parts and a special tool in order to get home.

Now Iím left with balsa and foamy airplanes for that aviation fix.
The following 2 users liked this post by ETpilot:
David John Davis (01-31-2024), Flicker (02-07-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 11:35 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

ETpilot Glad you had a good time with that aircraft you had to part with. When younger, I wanted to learn to fly, but never got around to it. Motorcycles have filled that void more or less, and particularly older now, know that I'll never fulfill that dream.

The model aircraft helped also to fill the void, but the latest gov R/C restrictions have me focusing toward control line aircraft. Just seems too much fear mongering going on these days.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:31 AM
Clean

With the exception of mine said Tower on the plaque and was cream colored, it was a copy of that radio.

Though mine had a charger plug that plugged into the radio and a lead from that to plug into the airplane's flight pack. I don't know if the normal Kraft's were that way too.
My first club there were a couple of guys that flew go-fast pattern with 60's on tuned pipes. And one guy that had a 90 on a huge stick, trying to show off I think but most were flying 35's to 45s. One guy had a Se5a with an Enya 35 in it. He'd getup, do some flying around, loop, roll but then go into doing touch n go's with it because it just made it so easy with all that drag to pull up, hammer head or snap spin, come right back down with the motor idling and pull out while not overshooting the runway. He'd giggle. I know why, I do too. I remember seeing my first Nosen P-51 with a 60 size engine on gear reduction spinning that big prop. He didn't have the CG right on it, as proved by the inverted flat spin it fell into while he was trying to get it trimmed enough to land. Oh, it landed.
Then past that, One guy flew scale and used the converted chainsaw Gas engines. He'd build the coolest planes and show us how to build fuel tanks to fit the airplane by making a foam plug, fiberglassing it and dissolving the foam with GAS, then using Dubro plugs to piping. Shoot, in SPADs I've seen folks get square Juice or water bottles that fit our pipes and run tubing into those. Gas doesn't have to have pressure, it has a pump on the carb.
Ok Ok, I'll go clean house, old man.
ehhhh you young whipper snappers, no respect, no respect at all.....
Old 02-03-2024, 12:35 PM
FlyerInOKC

The old Heathkit radios were like that too with the charging. The Heathkit radios were designed by Kraft and I suspect the Tower were a Kraft design as well and if not actually built by Kraft for Tower.
Clean (02-03-2024)
Old 02-04-2024, 08:33 AM
mgnostic

Tower probably contracted with more than one company through the years. I've always thought that my early 80's Tower 6 channel was made by Airtronics. I managed to let the smoke out of one of the servos attempting to hook it up to a Futaba receiver. I didn't know the signal and hot wire were reversed. I eventually put the transmitter module from a Hitec FM radio into the Tower case after the Hitec gimbals cratered. I lost two channels but at that point in my life I couldn't afford a 6 channel airplane anyway.
Old 02-04-2024, 09:20 AM
AJ Sun

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Haven’t posted here in a while, but I stored my RC stuff And went back to U Control. Currently building a Super Ringmaster, it’s about ready to cover the wings, and do a weight and balance trim. Any body out of Seguin Texas? I Hurd that Brotherhood of the Circle is sponsoring a Ringmaster FlyOhThon in October 2024. Dates are 2nd and 3rd with a rain day. 13th and 14th October results by the 17th. This is possibly run by Stunt Hanger, I attempted to Join that sight but got Scammed. My membership was cancelled. Found out Stunt Hanger is out of Costa Reca. And my system guards against Scammers. AJ
Old 02-04-2024, 03:02 PM
Clean

https://stunthanger.com/ was scammed? I just looked at it, saw Dee Hill passed Jan 30th. I haven't signed in forever and didn't this time. But the site seems active. There's a link to Windy's Spitfire bedroom video he put out 6 days ago. But between here and Facebook. There's plenty. The Tulsa Glue Dobbers was Dee's Club and I thought that's where BOTR is out of but the event is international. Buncha countries in that list.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:32 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 155 Likes on 130 Posts

I flew the Baron as pictured in 12056 for the first time since repair. We had a windless and sunny afternoon though it was a bit cold. The model flew well enough but it still needs a few minor trim alterations. The threads in the Thunder Tiger 54's exhaust port have stripped but I glued the exhaust pipe in place with half hour epoxy. It works but you cannot change the position of the exhaust pipe of course. The orange and flourescent yellow patches, which I'd cut from remnants, showed up well.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:41 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sounds good David!
Old 02-05-2024, 12:13 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Sorry to hear that Dee Hill passed on. He was one of the corner stones of the Brotherhood of the Ring website and the annual worldwide Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon first weekend of October, sad to see that forum decline then went off-line. For a while, they had an interesting but informal contest of Ringmaster variants. Some took a scale plane and adapted the Ringmaster wing and tail outlines to turn it into a Ringmaster. (This is the Sterling Models profile Ringmaster Kit# S-1 or Junior Kit# S-5, although other Matt Kania Ringmaster designs could be the basis.)

Don't know about Tower, but I bought my radios from Hobby Shack of Fountain Valley, CA (near Anaheim where Disney is at). Their later Cirrus radios were Futaba stencils. Still have my 4 channel no frills Cirrus from the 1990's on later 72 mHz frequencies.

Stunt Hangar isn't hosted from Costa Rica, believe somewhere on the US North-East coast.
Old 02-05-2024, 12:47 PM
FlyerInOKC

Truth be told I use my computerize transmitters a lot like the old no frills radios from when I started. I will store a plane after I get it trimmed but that is about it. I have two Futaba 7C on FASST and my 6EXC on 72 MHz They do everything I need them to do. As far as airplanes go except for a 1/4 scale Globe Swift all my projects are 1/5 scale or smaller, .60 to .90 are plenty big for me.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:45 PM
Clean

Same with what I do. I started with a JR 388 computer radio because when I got back into flying my wife bought me a JR Max 6 channel radio and I had 3 planes on it, all setup the same. THEN I bought the 388 and it could hold 10 airplanes which meant I had all my planes on one channel. I added planes, all on channel 54 of course. Then I started flying combat and at that time I bought a plane and gear from a guy that had another 388 in it. Well I flew combat on one and sport on the other. Started flying 4 classes of combat with 3 planes at least each and filled up both of those transmitters with combat planes but I had also bought another full setup airplane with a DT 388. I was flying that for years. 2.4 came in and I bought modules for that and started using Orange Rx's for combat. Never had a problem. At one point I realized my newest 388 was over 10 years old and was working fine as were the oldest but it was getting to be time for onboard battery replacements and everybody was all squiggly for spectrum. So I bought one of those and migrated over to 2.4. Man, I thought gold stamp was the end of radio problems, never had a glitch on 2.4 and we could fly as many people as we wanted without freq flags. Gave the JR's and receivers to two different boy scout groups and a buddy whose old FM unit wore out. I flew the Spektrum that could remember 50 planes and store more on a card for a few years and then Taranis came in. I looked at it. I looked at the reports of how good it was. AND with a bunch of OT money burning a hole in my pocket and the Taranis not costing that much, I bought one and a couple extra transmitters. I was a little down because I had a bunch of spektrum receivers but I built a spektrum plug in for the module slot and could run both spektrum and FrSky from the same radio and more memories then you can shake a stick at. The biggets bonus? It's in the same box that my 388 was in. I was back home.
Granted, all the fantastic things that computer is capable of, I use it as a 4 channel box most of the time though I like 5 or 6 channels for Flaps, Flaperons and bomb drops, rato, silly stuff. But it might as well be a 6 channel transmitter except I control all my airplanes with it. I think I was in the first open buy group in the states. My first Grandchild was met with a second and a third and my flying was reduced and reduced and almost non existent. And I was really bringin in the OT half the year. They had a new, later, greater Taranis came out so I bought one. THEN found out it would only talk to the lastest transmitter that came with it. So, I didn't use it for two years. Then, I finally got the Radiomaster multimodule for the bay and now I can talk to everything. BNF models, the works. And, it's still in the 388 package.
The only problem I ever had with my old Taranis was I lost an airplane. I was flying along, just having gotten it back to flying, it dove straight in, no control. I took another airplane out and it was acting freaky. I killed the motor, did a range check, couldn't figure what the problem was THEN the module fell the rest of the way out. Just was barely hangin on. I must have taken it out and not put it all the way again sometime in the years I had the module in there. I also noticed that it didn't quite act right with a new BNF model I had. It kept burning out the flap servo. I used my Spektrum radio on it after I put yet another servo in it AND never had a problem. Reliazed later I had taken the tx module out of he wrong level transmitter I found online. The new multimodule has none of those issues.
It was nice just havin a radio and a bunch of servos. But you can really get lazy with a computer radio and just throw servos of any brand in there and program them to move right.

Which brings me to my new VolantexRC T-28. I was flying that today and the trainer and medium modes are ok but the expert mode is a handful. No gyro on a sub 500 gram plane? wow. It's still fun to fly but with it on my Taranis I can get some tripple rates on expert mode, with a little smoothing of the throws OR more throw out of sport mode it'll grove better just having a full size radio in my hand not not a little toy transmitter. It works pretty good though for 100 bucks of airplane/TX. Gotta get their Jug.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:25 AM
mgnostic

I do have to admit I enjoy the computer functions that give me the convenience of tweaking servo throws and directions. I even use the exponential function but for all that most of my flying can still be handled by four channels. I've only ever had one plane that used all of the six channels on my current radio. It was a little ME 110 ARF that had flaps and retracts. It was a nice airplane but my scale taste runs to WWI. There is that opposite end of things where a fella has every single control surface on its own channel each lovingly tweaked to shoot touch and goes. It makes him happy so power to him.
Clean (02-11-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 10:13 AM
FlyerInOKC

When I went to 2.4 GHz I upped my radio to 7 channels. My thought was I intended to build a Top Flite warbird and 7 channels gives me the usual rudder, throttle, and elevator with two left for ailerons, flaps, and retracts. I have a built 1/5th scale SIG Cub and went with the dual servos for the aileron so I can take a stab at using them as flaperons with the radio doing the heavy lifting. I haven't a clue how it will work but I thought it would be fun try. I have fallen into a few deals on Top Flite Warbird kits and now have the following to build when I retire next year: P-39, P-40, P-51D, F4U, Spitfire Mk IX. In addition I picked up a Bonanza A36 kit with cockpit kit. Depending on when it comes available and if I can swing it without the wife killing me for getting another kit, I may consider the retro TF Arrow II kit Planes Gone By is bringing out this year.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:06 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I thought when I retired I'd be in hog heaven, I had my shop, land enough to fly, and all the kits and plans I ever wanted, bought several radios and finally a FRSKY gozillion channel trans. and a couple of receivers when my health went down hill, now I got all this stuff and can't use it. I will slowly divest most of it but I be six feet under before it is all gone. I was about to have My Futaba 9c up graded but why bother now?

Learning to configure my trans. has really blown my mind because i don't seem to remember all of the formulas, names and programs but I love the idea of the whole mess. If I get up enough strength to climb my stairs I will finish as much as I can because of the satisfaction of building. But standing for any length of time wears me out.

I've been searching for a new home for far too long and can't seem to find anything to compare with what I currently own, so I put it in momma's hands but she is in the same slump I am in. I think my son has forund a place with enough land close enough to his job and is preparing to purchase it but all kinda weird stuff is slowing him down.

This is a negative post but that is my current status, and this thread still wont let me post pics. (what a let down. I am truly disappointed.) I hope you guys are having better luck.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:42 AM
FlyerInOKC

I'm fortunate in my garage is attached and while space is limited I only have to slip out the door going into the garage and turn on the appropriate heater or A/C unit. Where I will run into issues is where to put the airplanes after they are built. Then again my flying skills may help with that until I get sufficient stick time.
The following 2 users liked this post by FlyerInOKC:
Clean (02-11-2024), Flicker (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 10:34 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default For Donnyman above: Don't worry 'bout Negative inputs..

Hi Donny;
I'm in a similar sinking boat, not yet the Titanic, but....Will be a'turnin' 80 in a few months; have a great home with lots'o'space to build, all da tools to do same, + have over 800 kits accumulated since getting into RC back in '68, and over 100 engines of all sizes, and enuff balsa to build a small house.....etc. etc, ad nauseum....Problem is similar to yourn.....medical....My Docs' keep finding new ailments/conditions as they raise their ugly heads, needing ever more tests and doc visits.....Sure do slow you down.

I totally lost my hearing 'bout 11-12 years back, now hear very well via L&R Cochlear implants, so good in fact, that glow/gas engine noise drive me up a wall, simply can't stand da noise, so, I gots to sell all my glow motors, a lot of them brand new, also collected over my RC lifetime. I also have several 2.4 radios, [unfortunately Airtronics...they have deserted us old tome users], and I simply have fits trying to bind and program them. I like the old timey Krafts' [sigh of sadness], and the Futabas, alas: so easy to set up, neutral at start, fly-set trims as needed, then enjoy the bird, and go on to the next one. As for power now, I have gone totally electric, got used to them and like them and their quietness, but my reflexes are getting a mite slow, so no more pylon racers or high perfomance pattern/WW2 fighter types....gonna have to sell them too. My enjoyment now comes from Old Timey Free Flights, gliders and high wing sport ships; like, slow and steady wins da day. And you know what? That slow and steady type flyin' is just fine and great, don't mind it at all, I find it is good therapy, always feel great after a nice slow flight, What more can I say.

So Donny, don't feel bad re a negative posting, you have a lot'o'bros'out'here wid similar aggravations, hurts'n'pains, wants'n'needs, etc., sort of and Old Timers'/Timeys' Brotherhood of sorts....Quite similar to the ones protrayed in that great TV series a while back, Band of Brothers working their way through WW2, [only we are not getting shot at].

Donny, will close for now, good a'rappin wid you, I hope i did not sound too negative myself. But dis a'gettin' old is serious stuff, should almost qualify for getting medals/awards for.....naw! Be good, ENJOY! and best regards to you and anyone else reading this rant, from Wickenburg, Arizona,

Joe Nagy, AMA #52925.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joe Nagy:
David John Davis (02-07-2024), J330 (02-13-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 06:02 AM
FlyerInOKC

Wow Joe! I can't wrap my head around 800 kits and 100 engines! You got more than the distributors use to stock back in the day. I got 10 kits and close to the same in short kits, if I live to be 80 I might finish them all. Still there are a few airplanes I wish I could find but doubt I will.
Mike
J330 (02-13-2024)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.