Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Is it just me?

Old 12-29-2014, 11:55 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Is it just me?

Or is the RCU servers getting slower and slower? Half the time the site won't load at all and if it does I have to refresh 2 or 3 times to get the forum to have me "signed in". I have my browser setup to automatically keep me logged in. I run into the same problem whether using my computer or my smartphone. Anyone else run into the same problem?
Old 12-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're not the only one, I see it too.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:41 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This was brought up to out tech team and they reported that there was some technical issues going on with some maintenance issues and such. But that they should all be complete now and the site should be returned to a normal speed. If you are still seeing a slow access speeds please let us know. One thing to watch for when seeing where the slow down is coming from is watch the lower left corner of your browser as the pages loads. A lot of time the slow downs will actually come as 3rd party content loads. Now we're not trying to shift blame away from us by saying it's not our fault, but we do need to know what you are seeing so that we are looking at the right places so that we can give you the best service. You can post back here to this thread or you can PM me direct and let me know where you are see slow loads.

Ken
Old 12-29-2014, 05:00 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Most if not all the time I have it happen is right away. The status bar never moves. This isn't part of the page loading and it stops; it just doesn't load anything.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:02 PM
thailazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suspect the servers supporting the ads are being slow to respond. Try using an adblocker and see if that helps. RCU loads very fast here on the other side of the world, but I use the Adblocker plug in with FireFox.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:48 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by thailazer View Post
I would suspect the servers supporting the ads are being slow to respond. Try using an adblocker and see if that helps. RCU loads very fast here on the other side of the world, but I use the Adblocker plug in with FireFox.
I use Firefox and Safari and both have ad blockers and anti pop-ups enabled. It's just slow. Tonight since RCKen's reply I have kept track of page load times. It's taken on average 12-18 seconds for the status bar to even move. Much better than the several minutes it's been taking the last few days.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:30 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen View Post
This was brought up to out tech team and they reported that there was some technical issues going on with some maintenance issues and such. But that they should all be complete now and the site should be returned to a normal speed. If you are still seeing a slow access speeds please let us know. One thing to watch for when seeing where the slow down is coming from is watch the lower left corner of your browser as the pages loads. A lot of time the slow downs will actually come as 3rd party content loads. Now we're not trying to shift blame away from us by saying it's not our fault, but we do need to know what you are seeing so that we are looking at the right places so that we can give you the best service. You can post back here to this thread or you can PM me direct and let me know where you are see slow loads.

Ken
Ken,,
It says "waiting for rcuniverse.com..........."

Been this way on and off since the server swap,, when was that?? 3 years ago?

I've got this a few times recently again so I screen shot it,,

it's not third party content,, don't think ever has been, this can only come off the server right?

anyway, I'm over it, just what you have to deal with here
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rcu error.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	2058842  
Old 12-30-2014, 07:04 AM
scale only 4 me

I got locked out completely again about 20 minutes after that post,, after a minute I just closed the tab,, all the other forums/websites I go to load perfectly fine.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:33 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Yeah, the new servers are definitely slower than the old ones. The new forums software is fine, but the speed of the site is very slow compared to the old site.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:34 AM
FBaity
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RCU is very slow and about half the time doesn't load at all, sure not like the old days.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:41 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Just posted another message elsewhere in the forum and when I linked back to the main forum page it wouldn't load at all. Closed the browser twice and it finally loaded.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:43 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is free so stop the complaining.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:25 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll pass this along to the tech team. I have the suffered some of the same issues as you all do, remember that I run the same software too. When running Chrome I find that I have the fastest load times of all. I have a complete Linux (Ubuntu 14.04) laptop at home that loads RCU fastest of all of the systems that I use to access RCU. Anything that I use Internet Explorer on is usually the slowest load times. These are my personal observations and should not be taken as anything official.

Ken
Old 12-30-2014, 10:53 AM
IBobi
Administrator
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For those experiencing slow page loads or lockups, can you report:

1. Your device if mobile
2. Browser type and version
3. Geographical location (country)

This may help us track the issue. Thank you all!

Paul
Old 12-30-2014, 01:34 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by flycatch View Post
It is free so stop the complaining.
I'm sure the site's sponsors would like to ensure their advertising dollars are well spent so I would think the better the forum works, the better it is for the sponsors' business. No?
Old 12-30-2014, 01:39 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
For those experiencing slow page loads or lockups, can you report:

1. Your device if mobile
2. Browser type and version
3. Geographical location (country)

This may help us track the issue. Thank you all!

Paul
Home computer is running the latest version of Firefox in the USA, and an iPhone 6 iOS 8.1.2 / Safari browser. Same problems occur using Mercury (mobile) browser as well.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:37 AM
Thisstrangeengine

I have a brand new computer and it seems my only issue is viewing pictures. They seem to load slower than they used to and if there's more than one and I hit the "next" button it takes even longer...
Old 12-31-2014, 04:47 AM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by Thisstrangeengine View Post
I have a brand new computer and it seems my only issue is viewing pictures. They seem to load slower than they used to and if there's more than one and I hit the "next" button it takes even longer...
Do you have dial up?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foru...ing-speed.html
Old 12-31-2014, 05:33 AM
Thisstrangeengine

I haven't had dial up for like, a hundred years...LOL I have high speed cable and a wireless connection. Could be my anti-virus...
Old 12-31-2014, 05:45 AM
toolmaker7341

RC Ken S---L---O---W here I have a digital HD and RC Groups loads instantly. Haven't had a no load in about a week. Cheap server?
Old 12-31-2014, 07:47 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

RCU down about an hour.
This just happened to me when I was reading this thread.
I was going to go back using the arrow on the web address bar and it timed out trying to load the page.
This started about 8:32 AM Central time on 12/31/14 using Firefox browser on my PC. The message in the lower left corner read "waiting for www.rcuniverse.com".
I finally was able to get back on RCU at about 9:37 AM. During this time I was able to log onto RCG anf FG. Also played a couple of YouTube videos.

Greg
Old 01-01-2015, 06:03 AM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by Thisstrangeengine View Post
I haven't had dial up for like, a hundred years...LOL I have high speed cable and a wireless connection. Could be my anti-virus...
haha,,I know it was a joke,, Ibobi asked me that when I spoke of the slow download pic speed a year ago (see link), the site used to reduce file size on upload, since the new vBulletin, it no longer does that, anything over 1m I don't bother, just takes too long

Originally Posted by toolmaker7341 View Post
RC Ken S---L---O---W here I have a digital HD and RC Groups loads instantly. Haven't had a no load in about a week. Cheap server?
My thoughts for years, this is the only site I have these issues too, it never happen before the server swap they said they did a few years back

Originally Posted by OldRookie View Post
RCU down about an hour.
This just happened to me when I was reading this thread.
I was going to go back using the arrow on the web address bar and it timed out trying to load the page.
This started about 8:32 AM Central time on 12/31/14 using Firefox browser on my PC. The message in the lower left corner read "waiting for www.rcuniverse.com".
I finally was able to get back on RCU at about 9:37 AM. During this time I was able to log onto RCG anf FG. Also played a couple of YouTube videos.

Greg
It's be my suspicion that the servers kicks you off after you've been browsing for a while, when you first log on everything is fine,,the longer you browse the site the slower (longer the "lag") becomes until eventually it just locks you out and you need to close your browser, wait a while and try again,,, then the cycle starts again.

Edit,,, got locked out twice trying to edit this post, had to close browser, wait 15 minutes.

Running Chrome, High speed cable,

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 01-01-2015 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:15 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

"Waiting for rcuniverse.com..." For 3 timeouts. Site loaded an hour later for me. Tried on my smartphone, status bar never moved. Made breakfast for my son and I and the status bar never moved. Other forum sites loaded fine in the same time period.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:49 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

I have stopped doing build logs here because it takes so long to load pics. I don't the patience for it anymore. Usually just browse till it locks, then move on to other RC sites that will load, ie; RCG.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:27 AM
scale only 4 me

Yeah, if you have pics or other info only on this site, I'd make copies and save them to your drive,,, wouldn't be surprised if the whole site goes poof someday soon,, sad to think this way

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.