Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

FAA stopping drones at Boston Marathon

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

FAA stopping drones at Boston Marathon

Old 04-06-2015, 06:33 PM
rgburrill

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Default FAA stopping drones at Boston Marathon

Due to the requests of the sporting event sponsors the FAA has stopped drones from legally flying over the Boston Marathon. Seems that too many sporting events have complained about them at other similar events.

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving group of clowns.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is only the beginning !
Old 04-06-2015, 08:27 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have no problem with the FAA cracking down on people who don't fly at a designated RC site or on their own property if it's suitable.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:02 AM
init4fun

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Being from a suburb a bit south of Boston , I can tell you we get TFRs quite frequently , and these stop ALL model aircraft operations both drones and good ol club field flying . Just last week Obama and co. were here to dedicate a library to the late sen Edward Kennedy and we had a TFR for that . Thing is , I can understand the no fly zone over the marathon because I'm sure they're (FBI , CIA , NSA , or whoever) going to have their own drones keeping watch of the entire 26 miles because of what happened two years ago . Although the rest of the country has likely moved on to news more topical to the area they live in , we currently have a trial going on for the surviving bomber and so with that added to the already enhanced security I can understand they want free run of the skies for the day . Trying to keep track of what's happening on the ground would sure be easier without having to dodge a fleet of civilian drones , all out for their "million dollar photograph" .....
Old 04-08-2015, 07:56 PM
yamhenliu

I have no problem with the FAA cracking down on people
Old 04-10-2015, 11:19 AM
W7APD Alan

After reading the NPRM on "Operation and Certification of Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems" I find the proposed rule to be even handed and well designed. The important thing for hobbyists to remember, is "The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safetyguidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization."

Whether you/we/I like it or not, the "nationwide community-based organization" means the AMA. If I'm not mistaken, AMA guidelines have something to say about flying over people, particularly spectators and non-participants.

So there are going to be limits, which shouldn't be a surprise because there have always been limits imposed by rule. Interestingly, those limits are not being changed. The dumbarses will still be dumbarses...
Old 04-10-2015, 07:08 PM
topspin

Do you blame them?
Old 04-10-2015, 09:31 PM
rocyizhen

I can understand they want free run of the skies for the day .