Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

WWII Heroes

Old 05-23-2015, 08:37 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WWII Heroes

Memorial day is upon us, time to dwell on the past a bit. How many of us personally know a hero from WWII? All our boys were heroes, but some were presented with the opportunity to stand out more than others, and they did. We have two members of our little flying group who were presented with such an opportunity and they did not disappoint. One was on the raid in January of 1945 which freed the 500+ soldiers on Bataan whom we had abandoned and were held captive in Cabanatuan the Philippines for four years. The other flew P51s with the 357th fighter group out of England during the war and later flew F86 Saber Jets in Korea. They are both over 90 years old now but still sharp as tacks. I am in absolute awe of them. I salute everyone, both men and woman, who have served our country.

There have been several movies made about the rescue mission in Bataan over the years. I did not realize that one of them was being shown this evening entitled "the Great Raid".

Last edited by JollyPopper; 05-23-2015 at 10:06 PM. Reason: further info concerning the post
Old 05-24-2015, 06:51 PM
cetme308

I know of none personally, maybe one thru a friend. That same friend is a veteran of the cold war and her son was in afgan and thankfully is back now.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:11 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My Dad flew with the RAF during the Battle of Britain. ...
Old 05-24-2015, 07:15 PM
jcstalls
My Feedback: (7)

Two uncles before I was born lost on the Normandy beachhead.
My father entered service towards the end of WWI in the Navy, and obviously was not lost.
For what, I do not know. Still, my flag is already ready to post at sunrise on the morrow at half mast to honor all that did.

Jared
US Army