Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Powering DC LED light fixtures

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Powering DC LED light fixtures

Old 06-30-2015, 01:29 PM
EchoBravo
My Feedback: (220)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powering DC LED light fixtures

Was looking at these LED fixtures in Harbor Freight the other day and thought, why can't I use an AC adapter to power them instead of batteries?

After all, power is power, right? I've got old cordless phone adapters, radio shack ac adapters, etc. laying around so for ~$10 & under, I'm willing to give it a go.

Puck Light

"T" light

Under cabinet

Four Head

Bought one of the puck lights, took the leads off the battery tray and hooked a 4.5V 300MAh adapter to it and voila, light.

Could it take more Voltage? Let's find out.

I have a selectable voltage unit from Radio Shack that goes from 1.5V DC up to 12v DC. Started @ 4.5, to 6, 7.5, then 9. All it did was get brighter (Wasn't brave enough to take it to 12 ) So even if you don't have the exact matching voltage adapter (within reason of course), I think you could still use it.

I think there could be some nice work area lights here without worrying about batteries.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:17 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed hobby king cheap LED strip lights using an ac inverter. I choice 9 V rather than the 12V has they seems plenty bright and figured 9V would last longer. I soldered up to three together 'end to end'. They are in parallel electrically but look like in series . Works great and cheap to add light under my kitchen counter!