Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

What has happened to Hobbyking?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What has happened to Hobbyking?

Old 07-05-2015, 06:41 PM
  #76  
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)
 
vertical grimmace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: ft collins , CO
Posts: 7,246
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

The current unfriendly nature of RCU in general will put an end to any concern over HK threads. As only the lat die hards will continue to even visit this site. It has become more about one upping one another by and large, and is not a comfortable place to visit anymore.

I get most of my info now from Facebook, where I have friends that run the gamut of the model industry, and provide much more friendly (and accurate) info. For me, RCU's days are numbered. So bad threads are not really relevant anymore.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:45 PM
  #77  
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)
 
RCAddiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sarasota FL
Posts: 1,010
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Wow.

I've not been active on RCU for a while, but saw a link to this thread on the front page. Taking no sides in this thread, it is a wonderful example of why people left RCU over the years to seek other forums. Imagine a newcomer to the hobby stumbling across this thread. Would they really want to be engaged in a hobby where people behave this way?

Very few vendors have threads 3 pages long praising their wonders. Including US-based ones. People get on these boards to complain far more than they do to compliment. The larger the retailer, the more purchases, and the more complaints will surface. I've purchased from HK, Horizon, HP, Tower, TBM and 30 other sites. Not every purchase was an awesome experience, but the vast majority were good, including HK.

As for the OP - I once had a similar payment problem HK. They wouldn't ship a small order that I had placed a while back, forgotten about, but had clearly paid via Paypal. I didn't get upset and I didn't post here. Instead, I contacted them to see if they could find out what went wrong and gave them the opportunity to make it right...a couple of Live Chat sessions with the HK staff resolved it pretty quickly. If you have a concern, go to their site, click the orange Live Chat box on the top right off the screen. It helps if you have your order number handy.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:07 PM
  #78  
Maximilionalpha
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hither & Yonder, USA
Posts: 188
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

HK, has been going downhill for over 2 years now, with all of the change-ups that they started making with their staffing and website. If you were indeed an HK fanatic, you would've seen all of the complaints that they were making in the forums, there, as well as, in the product review sections.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:01 AM
  #79  
LDM
My Feedback: (15)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Denver, PA
Posts: 9,326
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

"Unless you have access to HK's customer database , How could you possibly know how many folks in this or any other thread are actual HK customers ? By my estimation , I'd say just about every poster to the HK threads likely has had an interaction with them , some good and some bad , and that's what drives the sometimes unfriendly exchanges that permeate these threads . The ones who are happy with their purchases get angry to see their favorite company talked bad about . The ones who've got a bad deal complain and are dismissed as whiners by some of the other posters . Seen it over and over . But seeing you accuse some of the fellow posters here of not being HK customers , with no proof of such claim , that just had to be called out for the false claim that it is .

Let's try and keep it real here , shall we ? "
Instead of saying keep it real lets say " lets be honest" , if you check the HK threads sooner or later they real haters that add zero value to the OP say say " I don't buy from them and never will" lol , its virtually in every thread.
See the problem as stated by me in my very own opinion is that people get too emotional over the fact that this is a China based company. Its starts to be about everything but what the original Op intended. If you look at my post in every HK thread I not only keep it real but give sound advice if and when you choose to buy from them or avoid them, but I don't post meaningless banter about a company that I don't buy from.
I have seen countless post about Atlantic Hobby , many bad things, I don't buy from them so I cant say.
I do buy from HK and quote often and personally every time I know its like rolling dice but for some stupid reason the cost still get to me and I buy , more better then worse but I know its only a matter of time before I have another bad experience but then again I am not buying blood , so its not life threating lol .
You can call me out all day long I am and always will be 100% transparent in my post , I don't stand to gain anything either way but I still stand but my original post that many rant and have never purchased , same goes with Banana Hobby , Nitro planes ect, some people love to bash and join a bash party but hate to attempt to add some value to a discussion.

By the way Lee---great post and so very very true !

Last edited by LDM; 07-06-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:18 AM
  #80  
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)
 
vertical grimmace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: ft collins , CO
Posts: 7,246
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LDM View Post
"Unless you have access to HK's customer database , How could you possibly know how many folks in this or any other thread are actual HK customers ? By my estimation , I'd say just about every poster to the HK threads likely has had an interaction with them , some good and some bad , and that's what drives the sometimes unfriendly exchanges that permeate these threads . The ones who are happy with their purchases get angry to see their favorite company talked bad about . The ones who've got a bad deal complain and are dismissed as whiners by some of the other posters . Seen it over and over . But seeing you accuse some of the fellow posters here of not being HK customers , with no proof of such claim , that just had to be called out for the false claim that it is .

Let's try and keep it real here , shall we ? "
Instead of saying keep it real lets say " lets be honest" , if you check the HK threads sooner or later they real haters that add zero value to the OP say say " I don't buy from them and never will" lol , its virtually in every thread.
See the problem as stated by me in my very own opinion is that people get too emotional over the fact that this is a China based company. Its starts to be about everything but what the original Op intended. If you look at my post in every HK thread I not only keep it real but give sound advice if and when you choose to buy from them or avoid them, but I don't post meaningless banter about a company that I don't buy from.
I have seen countless post about Atlantic Hobby , many bad things, I don't buy from them so I cant say.
I do buy from HK and quote often and personally every time I know its like rolling dice but for some stupid reason the cost still get to me and I buy , more better then worse but I know its only a matter of time before I have another bad experience but then again I am not buying blood , so its not life threating lol .
You can call me out all day long I am and always will be 100% transparent in my post , I don't stand to gain anything either way but I still stand but my original post that many rant and have never purchased , same goes with Banana Hobby , Nitro planes ect, some people love to bash and join a bash party but hate to attempt to add some value to a discussion.

By the way Lee---great post and so very very true !

Kinda hard to order from Nitro planes when so much of what they advertise is out of stock, and has been for years.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:27 AM
  #81  
topspin
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 1,169
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
Wow.

I've not been active on RCU for a while, but saw a link to this thread on the front page. Taking no sides in this thread, it is a wonderful example of why people left RCU over the years to seek other forums. Imagine a newcomer to the hobby stumbling across this thread. Would they really want to be engaged in a hobby where people behave this way?
So lets take this in parts. First the question is, act like what? This is a thread that was started to warn other modelers about a vendor who has a long and voluminous reputation for being unscrupulous. Here is a link for this company's lack of customer care going back to 2006, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569101


People get on these boards to complain far more than they do to compliment. The larger the retailer, the more purchases, and the more complaints will surface.
Really? So the bigger the company the more complaints? That's an interesting observation since I rarely see any complaints about Tower or Horizon Hobby and I think they are pretty large. Also, people do get on this, and other sites to complain, it's just human nature but the majority of complaints seem to center on Hobby King, formerly United Hobbies and several other names.


As for the OP - I once had a similar payment problem HK. They wouldn't ship a small order that I had placed a while back, forgotten about, but had clearly paid via Paypal. I didn't get upset and I didn't post here. Instead, I contacted them to see if they could find out what went wrong and gave them the opportunity to make it right...a couple of Live Chat sessions with the HK staff resolved it pretty quickly. If you have a concern, go to their site, click the orange Live Chat box on the top right off the screen. It helps if you have your order number handy
.
Your experience seems to be unusually successful because most of what is posted says otherwise about their Chat system. My personal experience with them on three separate orders was that they were of no help at all. The last time I dealt with them I was very polite and gave them several opportunities over a period of about a month to fix things, they didn't and I had to file a dispute through PayPal.

There is a guy on RC Groups who can help in many cases but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to wonder why a company would need to hire an outside company to fix their problems. Even more telling is the fact that the outside company often gets overwhelmed and has to cherry pick the ones they help right away, the ones that will look good in print because part of their job is PR. Tower and Horizon don't need that.

So for any noobs who see this just think twice before you spend your hard earned hobby dollars with any vendor with an established reputation for iffy delivery and customer service. In other words, do some research before you buy and know what you're getting into.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:04 PM
  #82  
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)
 
scale only 4 me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Avon Lake, OH
Posts: 10,288
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

If you save one guy a dollar it will all be worth it.,, you'r fighting Niagara Falls with a Dixie Cup pal,,, I do give you credit for persistence,, but heck the same could be said for Porcia
Old 07-08-2015, 05:05 PM
  #83  
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

And....you too.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:20 PM
  #84  
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)
 
RCAddiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sarasota FL
Posts: 1,010
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Topspin,

The intent of these forums is for modelers to share experiences and help one another out. The OP had a bad situation, feeling ripped off by HK. At what point in the thread did anyone offer help to the poor soul?

What actually occurred is the usual t.i.t for tat that the vendor is awful or the vendor is wonderful, followed by personal attacks, rather than focusing on providing some assistance to the OP. The message delivered was that anyone who buys from that vendor is not very smart and deserves bad things to occur. This was further exemplified by the poster brave enough to post his turbine installation, and who had a good HK experience, yet was criticized for his build technique and component selection not being up to someone else's "standard".

When was anyone going to offer any useful advice to the OP, without the personal back and forth attacks, such as the one above?

Imagine a new pilot, brave enough to join the thread, and posting (possibly in the wrong sub-forum), a photo of their new baby, asking for help with issues they experienced. Based on this thread, such a user would be potentially attacked, criticized for where/what/how they bought things and how they put it together. Net, it would be their own fault.

My point only is that the forum does not well serve modelers with personal attacks. Not does it serve modelers well without trying to directly help the person who started the thread.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:55 PM
  #85  
topspin
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 1,169
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
Topspin,

The intent of these forums is for modelers to share experiences and help one another out. The OP had a bad situation, feeling ripped off by HK. At what point in the thread did anyone offer help to the poor soul?

What actually occurred is the usual t.i.t for tat that the vendor is awful or the vendor is wonderful, followed by personal attacks, rather than focusing on providing some assistance to the OP. The message delivered was that anyone who buys from that vendor is not very smart and deserves bad things to occur. This was further exemplified by the poster brave enough to post his turbine installation, and who had a good HK experience, yet was criticized for his build technique and component selection not being up to someone else's "standard".

When was anyone going to offer any useful advice to the OP, without the personal back and forth attacks, such as the one above?

Imagine a new pilot, brave enough to join the thread, and posting (possibly in the wrong sub-forum), a photo of their new baby, asking for help with issues they experienced. Based on this thread, such a user would be potentially attacked, criticized for where/what/how they bought things and how they put it together. Net, it would be their own fault.

My point only is that the forum does not well serve modelers with personal attacks. Not does it serve modelers well without trying to directly help the person who started the thread.
I couldn't agree more and that's why I never make personal attacks on anyone. I did mention the guy that they hired to help solve problems and I assume that most people would think to look into that if they were so inclined. I hope I helped a lot more people than just him by emphasizing that they should practice due diligence before making a purchase from any vendor with a poor track record.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:29 PM
  #86  
ira d
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Maricopa County AZ
Posts: 3,238
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
Topspin,

The intent of these forums is for modelers to share experiences and help one another out. The OP had a bad situation, feeling ripped off by HK. At what point in the thread did anyone offer help to the poor soul?

What actually occurred is the usual t.i.t for tat that the vendor is awful or the vendor is wonderful, followed by personal attacks, rather than focusing on providing some assistance to the OP. The message delivered was that anyone who buys from that vendor is not very smart and deserves bad things to occur. This was further exemplified by the poster brave enough to post his turbine installation, and who had a good HK experience, yet was criticized for his build technique and component selection not being up to someone else's "standard".

When was anyone going to offer any useful advice to the OP, without the personal back and forth attacks, such as the one above?

Imagine a new pilot, brave enough to join the thread, and posting (possibly in the wrong sub-forum), a photo of their new baby, asking for help with issues they experienced. Based on this thread, such a user would be potentially attacked, criticized for where/what/how they bought things and how they put it together. Net, it would be their own fault.

My point only is that the forum does not well serve modelers with personal attacks. Not does it serve modelers well without trying to directly help the person who started the thread.
I don't see much that could be done to help the OP other than to inform him this is pretty much the norm for HK and this kind of issue has being going on for a long time. Like you said
the intent of these forums is for modelers to share info about issues they are aware of.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:22 AM
  #87  
Rob2160
Senior Member
 
Rob2160's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,786
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by crashmasterb View Post
Oh and I already own an armattan cf 355 and is my best flyer. Thumbs up for armattan. Chris "Rocks "and he is the best customer service I have ever come across.
Sorry about your problem with HK.

Agreed, The Armatttans are great and who else gives you a lifetime warranty against crash damage?

Last edited by Rob2160; 07-09-2015 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:35 AM
  #88  
Pete Lane
My Feedback: (3)
 
Pete Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 53
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hello Pilots.

I wonder how many of us would wander into a Hobby King retail outlet if they decided to open up shops in the local malls ?.
It seems to me that one of the biggest reasons they provide cheap prices is because they are not a " Brick and mortar " store.
That being said, is the reason most of the hobby shops in my area have closed, no sales tax and free shipping on the internet
is so tempting.

I guess its just the satisfaction of buying something brand new. I see people plunking down 400 - 700 dollars at the LHS
on a new rig and smiling all the way to the car, yet those same people will only offer me 200 dollars for the same type of
set up at the swap meet..........funny how that works. Scary part is, I am the same way !

Plane ~
Old 07-09-2015, 06:35 AM
  #89  
bradbranch
My Feedback: (25)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Littlefield, TX
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

sooner or later you will be Hobby Kinged, it happened to me. I had to make a video, put on youtube to get them fix their mistake, took weeks isn't life sweet.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:46 AM
  #90  
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: hemet , CA
Posts: 1,164
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

i support the usa no china or japan>>if i cant get it at my local hobby shop i dont need it wont be long till the other companies own this country>> then what >buy where you want and suffer
Old 07-09-2015, 10:30 AM
  #91  
jim billings
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Check all the stuff in a local hobby shop for a "Made in the USA" sticker. It is most likely you will not find one. It is most likely you'll find "Made in China" or "Made in Japan" or other foreign made products.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:43 AM
  #92  
TheEdge
My Feedback: (788)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bonita, CA
Posts: 1,030
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jim billings View Post
Check all the stuff in a local hobby shop for a "Made in the USA" sticker. It is most likely you will not find one. It is most likely you'll find "Made in China" or "Made in Japan" or other foreign made products.

What's the likelyhood that the device he's using to place these comments on this thread are american? It's just not worth speaking to IMO.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:48 AM
  #93  
jim billings
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Chalk up another Chinaphobe. If you don't buy foreign, you ain't flying.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:13 AM
  #94  
ira d
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Maricopa County AZ
Posts: 3,238
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
i support the usa no china or japan>>if i cant get it at my local hobby shop i dont need it wont be long till the other companies own this country>> then what >buy where you want and suffer
Almost none of the stuff you buy at your LHS is american made even if it has a american brand name on it. If you know of products that you know for sure are made in america why don't you share what they are.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:11 PM
  #95  
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)
 
vertical grimmace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: ft collins , CO
Posts: 7,246
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

I have given up on the made in USA issue. I just do not support bad companies. I do not care where they reside. If anything, RCU helps to find out who they are. but otherwise, RCU is defined by threads like these.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:34 PM
  #96  
LDM
My Feedback: (15)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Denver, PA
Posts: 9,326
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

VG your post 76 is dead on , that is why my useage of RCU dropped . I was tired of the drama. Countless threads on I build from scratch , so I am better then the kit guy , the kit guy was better then the ARF guiy , who was better then the foamy ARF guy lol , all nonsence .
I am in this hobby for fun and when I want drama I watch dance moms !! 10 years of coaching ice hockey and running a club in my spare time and i spent most of my time on drama control and the same parenst that create drams at age 6 still create drama when there kids are 18 and entering junior hockey lol .
I dont want anyone to get harmed by HK and its a shame that a business model that in theory bypasses the middle man is so poorly run .
IN reality HK bypasses what we have come to know was Great Planes , Hobby Lobby , Horison , Hobby People , that is what HK is on the books, but as we know they cant get there sh... together !
Old 07-09-2015, 05:33 PM
  #97  
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)
 
RCAddiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sarasota FL
Posts: 1,010
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ira d View Post
Almost none of the stuff you buy at your LHS is american made even if it has a american brand name on it. If you know of products that you know for sure are made in america why don't you share what they are.
Dubro
Deans
Sullivan
McFueler
Madison Components (QualityRCProducts dot com)
Jersey Modeler
Syssa Aircraft
Balsa USA (of course the wood itself is imported)
Desert Aircraft
Old 07-09-2015, 07:26 PM
  #98  
ira d
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Maricopa County AZ
Posts: 3,238
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
Dubro
Deans
Sullivan
McFueler
Madison Components (QualityRCProducts dot com)
Jersey Modeler
Syssa Aircraft
Balsa USA (of course the wood itself is imported)
Desert Aircraft
I am aware of all the brands you listed but do you know for sure that they are all made in whole in the usa? I just looked at a Du-Bro package and it's printed made in USA, Japan, Korea. Also
take Jersey Modeler I don't know this for sure but I bet the fuel jug and the pump motor and switches are made outside the USA. I don't think anyone could come into the hobby and get a RC
model in the air using all USA made components. Also I think I read somewhere that Desert Aircraft is using Chinese components in their engines and from I have been reading here on RCU
Syssa engines appears to be out of business. oneaew is famous for his one liners comments here on RCU but when you ask him what the products are that we should purchase or anything
for that matter he won't respond.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:46 PM
  #99  
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)
 
RCAddiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sarasota FL
Posts: 1,010
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Yes, absolutely correct, Ira. The world has gotten more complicated. Even HK sells some US maker stuff, like Bob Smith adhesives.

Dubro, at least to my knowledge, still molds all of their own plastic parts (fuel tanks, fuel line, servo arms, control horns, clevises, etc) in their Illinois facility. I would not be surprised if they globally source specific metric nuts/bolts, etc. The batteries in their glow ignitors are Sanyo, which are not made in the US.

Jersey Modeller - I believe the tank and the fuel fittings (medical grade) are made in the US, but the pump and switches could well be Asian.

DA - like most others, uses ignition modules which are not made in the US. Final assembly and all development was all done in the US, though.

Syssa - Todd has always treated me well, and sent me an updated carb for my SAP180 late last year. I've read some of the disappointing threads myself. I hope he's still supporting the hobby but have no recent info.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:30 PM
  #100  
ira d
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Maricopa County AZ
Posts: 3,238
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
Yes, absolutely correct, Ira. The world has gotten more complicated. Even HK sells some US maker stuff, like Bob Smith adhesives.

Dubro, at least to my knowledge, still molds all of their own plastic parts (fuel tanks, fuel line, servo arms, control horns, clevises, etc) in their Illinois facility. I would not be surprised if they globally source specific metric nuts/bolts, etc. The batteries in their glow ignitors are Sanyo, which are not made in the US.

Jersey Modeller - I believe the tank and the fuel fittings (medical grade) are made in the US, but the pump and switches could well be Asian.

DA - like most others, uses ignition modules which are not made in the US. Final assembly and all development was all done in the US, though.

Syssa - Todd has always treated me well, and sent me an updated carb for my SAP180 late last year. I've read some of the disappointing threads myself. I hope he's still supporting the hobby but have no recent info.
Yes lee I can agree with you on the points you made, But I think the bottom line is that way more of the products we use in this hobby are made outside of the USA in whole or in part than made here.
I will also say that it is impossible to operate in this hobby with using non USA products in spite of oneaew always telling us to only buy american products.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.