Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

RCU is *****g out my computer now

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RCU is *****g out my computer now

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 09:16 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RCU is *****g out my computer now

I've got other interests and better ways to spend my time than staring at a locked up screen that is swamped with massive advertisements loading.
That's all I've got to say.
RCU deleted "Max ing" for whatever enlightened purpose that they subscribe to.

Last edited by combatpigg; 09-25-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:17 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have similar frustration with the site from a technical standpoint, page loading times, etc. Not sure what you mean by they deleted "max ing". ?

This is a thread started on the whole new ad process they have up and running.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foru...604-ads-4.html
Old 09-26-2015, 05:02 PM
combatpigg

Thanks for the link to that thread. I had to close the window before I could read the posts because it made my computer's resources go to 100% again.............
Many of the automotive forums are this way now. There are times I get stuck with an automotive problem and they are a great resource, so I'm a little bit more patient when it comes to waiting longer to access critical information.
I'm using Windows XP with an old Dell that has as much memory as what is recommended. I'm sure this computer is puny by today's standards...but since misery loves company it's reassuring that I'm not the only one having trouble enjoying this website.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:48 PM
porcia83
Banned

Sometimes misery is our only company!
Old 09-27-2015, 07:01 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Thanks for the link to that thread. I had to close the window before I could read the posts because it made my computer's resources go to 100% again.............
Many of the automotive forums are this way now. There are times I get stuck with an automotive problem and they are a great resource, so I'm a little bit more patient when it comes to waiting longer to access critical information.
I'm using Windows XP with an old Dell that has as much memory as what is recommended. I'm sure this computer is puny by today's standards...but since misery loves company it's reassuring that I'm not the only one having trouble enjoying this website.
Your PC problems are not likely because of RCU, I'm on a 10 year old dell machine too and besides some slow page loads sometimes there are no problem like you describe that I can link to this site. You likely have viruses or adware/spyware jacking your machine that need to be cleaned up.

good luck
Old 09-27-2015, 10:07 AM
combatpigg

The first hurdle to clear is a "pop-up ad" called "Info Links" that creeps up the page from the bottom. It presents a moving target that forces you to look at it until you can close it out.
In spite of having a pop-up blocker, it lurks at RCU and at some other forums.
I do not understand how these invasive advertising schemes can be effective if they tend to anger the viewers..?
There must be a lot of folks out there who don't mind getting pooped on as consumers. I make it a point to boycott any products and services that stoop to this level to be noticed.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:17 PM
porcia83
Banned

The first hurdle to clear is a "pop-up ad" called "Info Links" that creeps up the page from the bottom. It presents a moving target that forces you to look at it until you can close it out.
I do not understand how these invasive advertising schemes can be effective if they tend to anger the viewers..?
There must be a lot of folks out there who don't mind getting pooped on as consumers. I make it a point to boycott any products and services that stoop to this level to be noticed.
I think it's like spam mail, the response rate is minuscule but the delivery method is so cheap, that if only a tiny percentage respond, they make money. I'm shocked at some of the stuff I get in my inbox from reputable companies, I bet they have no idea they are being marketed that way by some questionable advertisers.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:53 PM
JMCHASE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it just me or are the posts getting wankey like verticle up and down insted of across the page like a regular document and the and ad for Oprah?
Old 09-28-2015, 02:53 AM
porcia83
Banned

it's not just you
Old 09-28-2015, 04:05 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I see nothing like that ever, I take that back,,I had that happen to me many years ago,, it's "adware",, there are free anti adware programs that will help.

good luck
Old 09-28-2015, 08:08 PM
Checklst

Must be your old xp.............my win 7 loads vary fast now that I have set win7 not to receive pop ups of any kind. Takes a little effort in 4 or so menus but its worth it.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:52 AM
Aquila1954
My Feedback: (1)

I use a "Adblocker Plus" to get rid of ads. But RCU for some reason does load slowly. I belong to a couple of other r/c forums and they load faster than this site does.
And I am running a very extensive computer system that I built about a 1.5 yrs ago. And Windows 10 Professional.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:31 PM
combatpigg

Thanks for all of the feedback..!
I'll look into preparing my machine to better handle navigating these waters.
I will say that since Windows stopped support for XP, my machine has never run better.