Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Moving an R/C Workshop & All My Models- Any tips? >

Moving an R/C Workshop & All My Models- Any tips?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Moving an R/C Workshop & All My Models- Any tips?

Old 11-22-2015, 01:00 PM
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Moving an R/C Workshop & All My Models- Any tips?

Looks like I am going to be making a 900 mile move in the next couple months. I will be moving myself, so I am looking for ideas to help get my shop and all my models moved safely.
Any tips from those who have done so would be appreciated.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20151122_145433.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	2131881  
Old 11-22-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd use that as an opportunity to get rid of anything I knew I wasn't going to use , and was saving "cause I might use it someday" . We all have that stuff , stuff that we KNOW we'll never get around to , but just don't want to get rid of . In a couple of years I'll be "downsizing" my living situation and I plan to keep only about half of my approx. 40 or so model planes . If I can't get fair prices for any of it (1/4 to 1/3 cost for new in the box items) I'll find some deserving newbie to the hobby and make one hobbyist's day .

After divesting all but the truly essential "must haves" , I'd then plan a bunch of time , rent a truck , and using many moving blankets , bubble wrap and styrofoam , take one heck of a road trip just to deliver the planes to my new address . After the good stuff was all moved , then I'd do the boring mundane household stuff , beds , couches , etc.

Best of luck with your move Terry !
Old 11-23-2015, 07:28 AM
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Keep it all, well maybe not "all"
When I moved from CA to OH I sold almost all my loose building materials, hardware, retracts,, and several planes I loved dirt cheap,, then when I started building/flying again it was costly to replace.... only sell stuff you know you'll never use.

oooh, and many smaller boxes is better than a few larger ones,, that crap can get heavy fast

good luck

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 11-23-2015 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:18 AM
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get a PODs or whatever they have in TX, just for your airframes. They drop it in your yard and you can load it at your own pace. Personally, I would build a framework out of cheap 1X & 2X lumber to support your airframes and load from the top down. Lots of foam and tape will hold them in place. The other stuff can go on the floor and whatever is left goes however you are moving.

http://www.pods.com/

You can get nice HD cardboard boxes from Uline for a reasonable price. I'm the opposite of scale_only on the box issue - get a hand truck and save time by moving more in fewer boxes - within reason of course. You'll do better with consistent size boxes, the usual random stuff you get out of the recycling bin can be a PITA. Size them to fit the floor of the POD or however you decide to move, to maximize your loadout.

This is a great opportunity to organize your stuff. When I redid my shop last year, I bought about $150 of plastic Sterilite containers from Walmart. I sorted everything out and organized it into those containers. Now, most everything I need is on one wall of Closetmaid shelving, easy to access and the contents are visible. I had just started putting stuff back away when i took this picture.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...s-6pk/44785774
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2283.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2132084  

Last edited by Hemikiller; 11-23-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:32 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will your new shop area be as big or bigger? do you have a floor plan for it to use to decide how/where you are going to put everything? if so then you can decide how where you will put all your stuff or if you need/want to downsize. you can also decide about storage too.

when i moved from ohio to texas i knew i was going straight into this house so I used a regular moving van because it was cheaper by $800 or so compared to a pod, plus i had a moving company that was run by friends so i was sure my stuff would be packed well by them. Just be aware that if you choose to use a moving company they usually charge by the box so putting more stuff in each box saves money moving. but if they dont pack them they might not insure them. you should also think about how you will move things into/out of the truck - will you have them hire a crew at each end or do it yourself? this might affect how much goes in what size boxes/crates. also how big are the doors? the move went perfectly as i had no losses except when i opened the box that was supposed to have my chain saw it wasnt there any more so i guess someone wanted it.

Ed
Old 11-25-2015, 07:48 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Terry;

Happy Thanksgiving wishes to everyone reading herein from the ever warm Valley of the Sun.

I did a similar move back in June '09, from Englewood, Fl to Glendale, AZ, moving over 100 eBay accumulated kits, tools, stuff etc. I rented a Penske 24' deisel truck, + purchased a number of Penske Wardrobe boxes, 2 sizes: 4' tall x approx 2' square, and 2 or 3 ' all x 2' square, to hold da kit boxes. Make sure you rubber band or tie up the kit boxes securely, otherwise, kits do not travel well. For other smaller stuff, I packed in 'banana boxes', collected free from local super markets.....just make a Friend of the stores' Produce Managers; these boxes are very sturdy double walled, with a top which makes them overall triple sided....like bananas are ocean shipped with narry a bruise, rite? I numbered all said boxes and kept a master list so that you know what is what later when you get to the new location.

Finished models and those under construction also do not travel well, especially the unfinished ones...lots of edges to get caught on and break, so I suggest wrapping in blankets/towels and place in the big wardrobe boxes loosely.

The move went great, I had had recent surgery, so brought a Buddy along to help with the driving, thinking that my Wife Shirley could not handle the rather large truck. hell, I found out that i was the delicate one, the Penke truck had an auto trans, AC and stereo, I hardly drove at all, and the Wife loved driving the truck, [her Dad was a Teamster 18 wheeler driver for many years].

ANyways Terry, that is how I handled a personal move with models, kits shop and all, and would do it the same way again, good luck with your move, [and watch your back/no heavy lifting], and best regards from Glendale, Arizona,

Joe Nagy.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:37 PM
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well most will go in storage for now, as I don't think the shed at the place I have rented will make a good shop. I had considered the wardrobe boxes for the finished models, but the banana boxes sound another great idea.
Now it just a matter of packing it all up, and getting a truck loaded.
Looks like I will move around the first of the year.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to pack it yourself, look for used boxes - much cheaper!
How about donating some of it to your club for Christmas Party raffle prizes.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 11-27-2015, 06:01 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would keep everything, like said before, it's expensive to replace. Every time I get rid of something I think I'll never use I usually need it within a month of getting rid of it.

Question - Why do we modelers always get stuck into the smallest spaces? My spring project is to build a new workshop, 18' X 24' and I'll bet that by the time I'm finished it will be too small.