Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
With all the issues with Hobby King ,  has anyone found a technical c/s person? >

With all the issues with Hobby King , has anyone found a technical c/s person?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

With all the issues with Hobby King , has anyone found a technical c/s person?

Old 12-11-2015, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With all the issues with Hobby King , has anyone found a technical c/s person?

Is there an email address or rcu member that is a customer service rep that can provide technical help with products?

I bought a HK ARR car, and a HK radio, but neither came with instructions on how to calibrate the included esc to the radio. I did find some online manual for the esc but it simply does not work. No leds, no sounds, but fan is running.

Spent all this money, no instructions, been using esc's for 15 years and I have a car that is useless. Probably something simple, but without instructions, I am very frustrated.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:25 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll make my comment and get out of the thread as I can pretty much predict how this one will go.

They don't usually have tech help. Your best bet is to search out threads here and at RCG for people who have the same item. Also check the HK threads at their site. That's how it usually works, they are the best sources of information. Yes, Tower and HH have service techs, they also have a different business model and prices to go with it. It is what it is.

If it's a defective item, you can ask for a replacement, or refund. You can also check with this guy if you are a member of RCG, his name is Rob. He is their appointed CS rep and is normally really good at answering all types of questions. Good luck, hope you can figure it out.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2139842
Old 12-12-2015, 03:21 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Based on threads that I have seen off and on this year regarding Hobby King, I have to wonder why you all do business with them. Is it price? That would not be my sole motivator. There are several home grown (USA) companies around such as Tower, Advantage Hobby, Central Hobbies, Horizon Hobby, Servo City, etc. that I have done business with over the years with no problems. Doesn't HK have its' roots in China?? Just curious. I know that most of our hobby related products are produced in Asia, but why not support the companies in this country that sell them??
Old 12-12-2015, 03:37 PM
Banned

It's called personal choice, and everyone should respect each person's choice regardless of what it is. Probably the majority of what is available for the hobby comes out of China (as well as many other things you buy everyday). All the companies you mention are great to deal with, and many folks feel the same way about HK. HK has two warehouses in the states, as well as another office in NY, and employees in this country as well. They offer some items you can't get anywhere else, and they also sell many of the name brand items you can buy anywhere else as well.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Predictable? Too funny

porcia83, I'll make my comment and get out of the thread as I can pretty much predict how this one will go.

Believe it when you see it

Originally Posted by [B
porcia83[/B];12140308]It's called personal choice, and everyone should respect each person's choice regardless of what it is. Probably the majority of what is available for the hobby comes out of China (as well as many other things you buy everyday). All the companies you mention are great to deal with, and many folks feel the same way about HK. HK has two warehouses in the states, as well as another office in NY, and employees in this country as well. They offer some items you can't get anywhere else, and they also sell many of the name brand items you can buy anywhere else as well.
Didn't take long...
Old 12-12-2015, 04:35 PM
Banned

Sit tight OP, more folks with useful information will be along eventually! Update the thread as you go.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:37 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Sit tight OP, more folks with useful information will be along eventually! Update the thread as you go.
There's more truth to that that you may ever know Op.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:43 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Soon to be followed up by the HK cheerleaders ! This poor guy may never get his car working but we will soon find out who has xxx number of orders, spent xxx number of dollars and never had problems , or if they did it was handled in record time with one email to their wonderful cs department!
Sorry TampaRC but you should have spent your money with a company and vendor who actually care about their customers. Now you will have to jump through their hoops in hopes of getting some kind of resolution. ! You may want to forgo the frustration and just buy a good esc from a reputable company and get the car running.

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 12-13-2015 at 04:18 AM.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:25 PM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi TampaRC ,

Just curious here , have you tried substituting a different ESC or RX to see where the problem lies ? In reality as you likely know , a failure of an ESC to respond could originate in either the ESC itself or the TX or RX . The substitution method (if you have the spare parts available) is the best method of determining where the fault is . Were this mine , and for instance it is the ESC that's DOA , I'd price a new one and then if the cost of returning the defective one exceeds half the cost of new , I'd just go ahead and get the new one .

I will not admonish you for shopping from HK , what's done is done , but I will suggest not throwing good money after bad , and if you get no satisfaction from HK it may be best to chalk it up to a learning experience and then get the ESC from somewhere more accommodating to replacing defective product if the need arises .
Old 12-13-2015, 06:53 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

You wont find a more honest persons comments of Hobby King then mine ! I leave my opinions at the door. I order things on a benifit to risk ratio. So as an example I started with there cheap Turnegy line of lipos and had great luck. I moved up to the Nanutech and its been mixed results good and bad. Now a friend who is very technical suggested I try the lower cost Zippy packs. So I ordered two no test yet.
I simply could not fly large electrics if it was not for Hobby king.
Things I have purachased included large eletric motors, HV ESC, three blade wood props, mini high torque servos, servo extensions, and about 15 differant size lipo batterys.
I also bought two very very good Multi Chargers and two power boxes. The Multi Chargers look 100% like the one sold by HiTec but $125 less !!!!
I have one major customer service issue and it was like a bad movie going in circles round and round.
They finally refunded my money after 90 days and in the end my products finally showed up.
So my conclusion is :
1) i use them for price
2) only had one issues and there CS sucks , non existant and depend on if its USA based on China based.
3) Some USA distributors are staring to meet HK cost
4) Avoid there HK China website forums at all cost, they are loaded with HK trolls that will bash you for any comment you make that is not inline with the Kool Aid drinking trolls
5)I use them like I use Amazon, Tower, Horizon and the rest -its cost + need and then benifits vs features. So as my last example I have only bought one plane from them, an EPO P40N 64" span because at the time it was the only site selling an N model. For planes I stick to Horizon, Top Flight , ESM , VQ , FMS, and LX . For parts and part support I look for price and risk associated with price, no drama , simple decision
Old 12-13-2015, 07:03 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Tampa, sorry in my responce I did not try to help you as the original OP .
I am assuming based on 15 years of experience you have :
1)removed the shrink and checked all connections ?
2)checked the wires to the motor ?
3)gone thru full throttle calibration to see if you can get a beeb ?
I would remove the lipo for the motor, start with a battery to power up your system and see if you get the system to bind.
Then remove the small pack and add the lipo back in, also as others has stated I would try another esc.
Do you know if the car was designed to run with a lipo and a separate pack for the servos ?
Old 12-13-2015, 05:16 PM
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated above, contact Rob thru that link above. You will be taken care of. Just went thru it last week, and all squared away in just a few hours.