Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 05:04 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Thanks - got it.

Next question - item 32 refers to that airspace above minimums. Other than T/O or approach paths, isn't that 1,500 AGL? Why, then, are they so ready to squash us under 400?

Because it is not 1500 feet. It is 500 feet in most places and 1000 feet above congested areas. Less for Helicopters. FAA Part 91, 119
[h=2][/h]
Old 12-22-2015, 05:05 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

AHA! I stand, corrected. Tks
Old 12-22-2015, 06:34 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I haven't got any kind of traffic ticket since 1976 and I owned a Vette for 10 years. I'm a law keeper. I posted this not because I'm encouraging anyone to break the law but to point out how draconian simple sounding laws can be or become.
If only all citizens would ............ (fill in the blank) America would be a perfectly Safe Country. Were that only true ya know.
Aren't locked doors really only for honest people? Same with stupid laws..
Old 12-22-2015, 08:27 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Because it is not 1500 feet. It is 500 feet in most places and 1000 feet above congested areas. Less for Helicopters. FAA Part 91, 119
§ 91.119Minimum safe altitudes: General.Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b)Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
According to the the PHX FSDO an Open air assembly persons is as little as 2 people have a picnic on a blanket. That being said Trichology If you have a 30 foot wind sock all Full Scale (Except Helicopters) are supposed to be 1030' AGL.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and
(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.
[Doc. No. 18334, 54 FR 34294, Aug. 18, 1989, as amended by Amdt. 91-311, 75 FR 5223, Feb. 1, 2010]
Old 12-22-2015, 09:50 PM
HoundDog

Question...
Where Does this leave the INTRO Pilot program when some one comes along with a new toy airplane they got for Christmas and asks for help and is not registered? Sign him up on a cell Phone? Then fill out the AMA IP paper work? Use my Registration Number? Any Opinions here ... Now that's a stupid question ain't it?
Old 12-22-2015, 09:58 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Sporty What's your number ?I now a Canadian that has lost 5 planes in 4 weeks all more than a quarter mile and one over a half mile away 2858 feet according to Google Maps. One On the Shoulder of a road 165 feet from a house on the other side of the road.... So He needs a good Number.
I have not registered, will not register, and do not need to register for some time. The way it's going may be years.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:31 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Question...
Where Does this leave the INTRO Pilot program when some one comes along with a new toy airplane they got for Christmas and asks for help and is not registered? Sign him up on a cell Phone? Then fill out the AMA IP paper work? Use my Registration Number? Any Opinions here ... Now that's a stupid question ain't it?
My immediate thought is that they are flying under the "colors" of the already registered AMA pilot,so they would not need to, but who knows.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:45 AM
fliers1

Another reason to wait: http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...on-scam-sites/
Old 12-23-2015, 05:47 AM
falcon_56

"AMA asks members to hold on registering model aircraft"

That is not even possible. The FAA sUAS registration, registers people not model aircraft.

In similar fashion to the AMA number.

The minimum amount of information needed to register is:
First Name
Last Name
Address, City, zip code
email address
Credit Card

There is no requirement to enter brands, makes or models.

Last edited by falcon_56; 12-23-2015 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by falcon_56
"AMA asks members to hold on registering model aircraft"

That is not even possible. The FAA sUAS registration, registers people not model aircraft.

In similar fashion to the AMA number.

The minimum amount of information needed to register is:
First Name
Last Name
Address, City, zip code
email address
Credit Card

There is no requirement to enter brands, makes or models.
The FAA says this is registering the aircraft. The USC says they must register aircraft, not people. So if what you say is true then the registration process is illegal. That makes the FAA site a scam site as well.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:38 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The FAA says this is registering the aircraft. The USC says they must register aircraft, not people. So if what you say is true then the registration process is illegal. That makes the FAA site a scam site as well.
all the aircraft have the same number,, so your number ties you to the aircraft,, it's hyperbolistically the same thing,,

But you might be right,,, they processed my $5 yesterday and I haven't gotten my refund yet,
Old 12-23-2015, 06:41 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just checked, too. No refund.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:47 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	35728002[1].jpg
Views:	88
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	2137227  
Old 12-23-2015, 06:49 AM
falcon_56

Oh, I am sure that if we beg them to register all our individual planes, radios, receivers, servos, serial numbers, etc. Our wishes will come true...
Old 12-23-2015, 07:08 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The issue for me is that almost everything I fly is over 55 pounds. So this simple registration does not work for me, and the FAA is basically requiring me to register my model as a full size A/C. I have worked with the FAA my whole career, and to say that they are out of control and cannot police what they already are in charge of policing, is an understatement. I do not see how this can be policed unless you are ratted out. So, here, the AMA has maybe found a way to limit us back to the old 55 pound limit (which recently was ambended to 125 pounds max), who knows. But our ridiculous government has stepped in my way of having fun. I will wait and see what the requriements for over 55 pounds are. Now the question becomes, who dictates the weight limits? AMA says 125 pounds with a LM-2 waiver, but, basically, there is no limit with the FAA process? What a freaking mess. If I end up having to go thru the FAA, then I surely will not need the AMA in my hip pocket trying to control my habits.

JQ
Old 12-23-2015, 07:41 AM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

Question...
Although my club has not yet instituted a policy on this, as a club instructor here is how I handled training prior to the registration requirement and how it will be handled going forward (at least until directed otherwise). 1) A person with a new aircraft does not fly anything the first day. It is called "ground school". This gives them time to register their craft and I can submit AMA forms and preach and demonstrate AMA safety and cover basic aviation theory. 2) If the person has a new airplane and needs help, he typically does not know how to fly and with that in mind, he flies the club trainer or my personal trainer long before we fly his/her new toy as it was stated. 3) Only after proficiency is demonstrated does he fly his personal airplane with my assistance and by this time the craft is registered. Which brings up an issue with registration of club-owned airplanes. Since all club members will be registered, their number cannot be used (or at least should not) so will the FAA application look at a club as an individual or as a commercial endeavor?
Old 12-23-2015, 07:45 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
all the aircraft have the same number,, so your number ties you to the aircraft,, it's hyperbolistically the same thing,,

But you might be right,,, they processed my $5 yesterday and I haven't gotten my refund yet,
I agree, but its another argument for the AMA to make. You never know what sticks in the Judge's craw.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:49 AM
Sport_Pilot

I like glow and I do have an old Cox .020 TD. I think a plane for that may weigh less than .55 pounds, so I may play with that.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:58 AM
HoundDog

I have not registered, will not register, and do not need to register for some time. The way it's going may be years.
Good Luck with that ... U sell'n all your R/C Toys? Herd the FAA's first stop is
Acworth GA.

Just as a point of INFO
According to a good friend and Retired TWA Captain with some very good FSDO Connections told me they said there were 36,000 registrations as of 10 am yesterday 23 Dec. '15.
If U wish to fly (Legally) then register and put that number on your sUAS. If we don't I'm sure the FAA can and will make many more ridiculous but Much More resistive and expensive rules for us to follow. Just MY Humble Opinion. Free and easy is GOOD.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:04 AM
Sport_Pilot

Good Luck with that ... U sell'n all your R/C Toys? Herd the FAA's first stop is
Acworth GA.

Just as a point of INFO
According to a good friend and Retired TWA Captain with some very good FSDO Connections told me they said there were 36,000 registrations as of 10 am yesterday 23 Dec. '15.
If U wish to fly (Legally) then register and put that number on your sUAS. If we don't I'm sure the FAA can and will make many more ridiculous but Much More resistive and expensive rules for us to follow. Just MY Humble Opinion. Free and easy is GOOD.
You don't have to register anything now. No deadline at all. Just can't fly till you do. Per the FAA that is.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:11 AM
HoundDog

That maybe what the Feds want U to Think. Then what is that Number on Your Pilot certificate or Your drivers license. Is that number U or a piece of paper?
U Have a Social Security? Does that Card refer to U or the Piece of paper in Your Pocket? Just asking. they may say it's not registering people but If that is what People then They are to S&(^id to be fixed. Or may they should be to get theme out of the Human gene pool.

Besides
Old 12-23-2015, 08:13 AM
HoundDog

You don't have to register anything now. No deadline at all. Just can't fly till you do. Per the FAA that is.
Correct U finally got one right way to go,
sporty.
Is the weather in Acworth conducive to flying R/C in the winter???
Old 12-23-2015, 09:23 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Acworth GA.

Just as a point of INFO
The FAA is not going to waste their time and money trying to make an example out of somebody flying responsibly who didn't register. Is that not counter productive to the whole point of registration? I thought they wanted to stop the people that were doing stupid things? 36,000 registered huh? How many aircraft expected to hit the skies in 2 days? how many people fly RC aircraft currently? Does not sound like this registration thing is working out very well so far, nor do I ever expect it to.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:43 AM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yeah, it's as bad as it can be.

As per: http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/#cov [NEW] Q19. I would like to fly my Radio/Remote Controlled (RC) aircraft outdoors, do I have to register it? Yes, RC aircraft are unmanned aircraft and must be registered online if they weigh more than 0.55 lbs. and less than 55 pounds.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:48 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

A little late to the table.....did you real the whole doc or just one of the faq's ?

And no...it could have been far worse. And if you read the threads here...the end of RC days is all but here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.