Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Old 01-04-2016, 09:59 AM
  #351  
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Charles, MO
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

By the way has anyone received a refund of their $5.00 registration fee from the FAA?
Old 01-04-2016, 10:03 AM
  #352  
Sport_Pilot
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,916
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by CESSNA 421 View Post
By the way has anyone received a refund of their $5.00 registration fee from the FAA?
Some have but I don't think the maximum 30 day wait has applied to anybody yet.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:12 PM
  #353  
68goat
My Feedback: (40)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alabaster, AL
Posts: 64
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I still can't make sense of the FAA giving us back our five dollars if we register early. Why charge us at all if we register early?
Old 01-04-2016, 02:37 PM
  #354  
BobH
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Springfield, VA,
Posts: 8,049
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

The reason for charging us is to have our credit card number. Very transparent I think, why would they NEED that?
Why not a check or MO or any other kind of payment?
NO.. it HAS to be your Credit Card.
I'm not saying there is a Nefarious reason behind this.
I do find this troubling.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:40 PM
  #355  
vfourmax
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lynchburg, Va.
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

My guess is that with the CC they can verify identity and address submitted is in fact legit and correct
Old 01-04-2016, 02:51 PM
  #356  
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by vfourmax View Post
My guess is that with the CC they can verify identity and address submitted is in fact legit and correct
exactly correct, the FAA even answers this question in the FAQ's. And before some jump in yes, some folks have decided that they didn't want the govt to have their CC data (despite having virtually everything else hello IRS) so they went and spent money on disposable credit cards, then registered. I think the vast majority will go the CC route though.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:07 PM
  #357  
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)
 
HoundDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Apache Junction AZ. WI 0WI8
Posts: 4,501
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by 68goat View Post
I still can't make sense of the FAA giving us back our five dollars if we register early. Why charge us at all if we register early?
Besides Using the CC for verification and people not loading the system with false registrations,because of the$5 fee,
The office of business and management or some thing like that requires that All federal registration be accompanied by a fee. OK? The FAA wanted, if i remember correctly the FAA wanted to charge 1 ten thousandth of a mill ... Virtually
Nothing

Last edited by HoundDog; 01-04-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:25 PM
  #358  
Rob2160
Senior Member
 
Rob2160's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,786
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BobH View Post
The reason for charging us is to have our credit card number. Very transparent I think, why would they NEED that?
Why not a check or MO or any other kind of payment?
NO.. it HAS to be your Credit Card.
I'm not saying there is a Nefarious reason behind this.
I do find this troubling.
I registered with a pre paid credit card that is not linked to my name or address at all.

Not worried about them having my CC details but the prepaid card had about $10 credit left over from a vacation in USA so I decided to try it first and it went through fine.

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-04-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:57 PM
  #359  
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)
 
VF84sluggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 2,367
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

^^^^ Did the same thing with a disposable AMEX card that had about $8 left on it that belonged to my wife. Worked like a champ.

You know, if we keep trying, we can keep coming up with more and more "sky is falling" nefarious intents of the FAA and the government. Or could this whole tempest in a teapot be a classic example of how a government bureaucracy responds to a "problem"? The FAA, IMO, would love nothing more than to let RCers go about their hobby.

But, this "drone" mess (ie idiots with multi-rotor contraptions) has continued to grow and get more and more press attention to the point where, in true bureaucrat fashion, "something" HAD to be done! Whether it actually addresses and solves the perceived problem is moot. The bureaucracy just needs to do something - anything! - to show that it's existence is justified and that they are on top of things...all the better if it garners increased revenues and funding.

(pssst, hey buddy....you didn't hear this from me, but I've heard through the grapevine that if you register using your personal credit card, they're gathering info from your personal info to see if they can charge you with the Kennedy assassination...pass it on)

Last edited by VF84sluggo; 01-04-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:07 PM
  #360  
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo View Post
^^^^ Did the same thing with a disposable AMEX card that had about $8 left on it that belonged to my wife. Worked like a champ.

You know, if we keep trying, we can keep coming up with more and more "sky is falling" nefarious intents of the FAA and the government. Or could this whole tempest in a teapot be a classic example of how a government bureaucracy responds to a "problem"? The FAA, IMO, would love nothing more than to let RCers go about their hobby.

But, this "drone" mess (ie idiots with multi-rotor contraptions) has continued get more and more press attention to where, in true bureaucrat fashion, "something" has to be done! Whether it actually addresses and solves the perceived problem is moot. The bureaucracy just needs to do something - anything! - to show that it's existence is justified and that they are on top of things...all the better if it garners increased revenues and funding.

(psst....you didn't hear this from me, but I've heard through the grapevine that if you register using your personal credit card, they're gathering info from people's personal info to see if they can charge you with the Kennedy assassination...pass it on)
So true...but you missed one organization there with nefarious intent...the AMA. How could you?

The last line reminds me of this classic....

They're coming to take me away Ha Ha
They're coming to take me away ho ho he he ha ha
to the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time, and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats
and they're coming to take me away ha ha
Old 01-04-2016, 06:12 PM
  #361  
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)
 
VF84sluggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 2,367
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
So true...but you missed one organization there with nefarious intent...the AMA. How could you?
LOL....my bad, sorry!

This whole mess reminds me of the saying, "You're not paranoid if everybody really IS out to get you!"
Old 01-04-2016, 06:35 PM
  #362  
BobH
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Springfield, VA,
Posts: 8,049
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

OMB is the Office of Budget and Management. It has nothing to do with fee collections from agencies. It's there to examine spending and spending projections by Government agencies.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:38 PM
  #363  
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo View Post
LOL....my bad, sorry!

This whole mess reminds me of the saying, "You're not paranoid if everybody really IS out to get you!"
or...just because you can't see them doesn't mean they aren't out there....or are they?
Old 01-04-2016, 07:53 PM
  #364  
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)
 
HoundDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Apache Junction AZ. WI 0WI8
Posts: 4,501
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Rob2160 View Post
I registered with a pre paid credit card that is not linked to my name or address at all.

Not worried about them having my CC details but the prepaid card had about $10 credit left over from a vacation in USA so I decided to try it first and it went through fine.
O O are u a [h=2]Who must register a UAS?[/h]The owner must be:
  • 13 years of age or older. (If the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the small unmanned aircraft.)
  • A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident
Old 01-04-2016, 08:04 PM
  #365  
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)
 
HoundDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Apache Junction AZ. WI 0WI8
Posts: 4,501
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Anyone know how many peple have registered to date their band new Xmas DRONES?
Like Wise how many are AMA and how many are NON AMA,

Saw a News clip to night on a guy flying a Qad and the announce saying ow U can be held Liable for any property damage U might cause or people U may hurt. Then they told hw can get 2.5 million in Liability coverage by joining the AMA. Go figure. The news media almost got one right... Close but didn't explain it was secondary liability insurance.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:20 PM
  #366  
Rv7garage
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (10)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Somers, WI
Posts: 1,754
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Speaking of the AMA.... where are they?? Muncie has been silent of late, no? When are our next instructions forthcoming???
Old 01-04-2016, 08:41 PM
  #367  
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)
 
HoundDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Apache Junction AZ. WI 0WI8
Posts: 4,501
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Rv7garage View Post
Speaking of the AMA.... where are they?? Muncie has been silent of late, no? When are our next instructions forthcoming???
Doesn't matter much to those of u who ar living in the North at least till spring I would think. But according to many here I'm Never right so who knows. Put some wires on the left wing and say it's control line and it got away.

With Rv7garage as a name U fly, have, own, an RV7?
Old 01-05-2016, 04:34 AM
  #368  
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by HoundDog View Post
Anyone know how many peple have registered to date their band new Xmas DRONES?
Like Wise how many are AMA and how many are NON AMA,

Saw a News clip to night on a guy flying a Qad and the announce saying ow U can be held Liable for any property damage U might cause or people U may hurt. Then they told hw can get 2.5 million in Liability coverage by joining the AMA. Go figure. The news media almost got one right... Close but didn't explain it was secondary liability insurance.
Would you believe over 160,000 to date? As for the split between ama and non ama, I wouldn't expect that information to ever be available. My understanding is that this isn't a question to be answered on the application, and so far the AMA isn't asking for the information, After 2/19 I suspect many of the AMA members will be. Those that don't might not be aware of the requirement (no computer,don't go to field often, don't fly anymore or fly UMX), and then of course you'll have the purposefully non compliant non sheeple freedom fighters who wont be told what to do by the power and money hungry gubmint.

As for the news story, ya they usually only tell part of the story. Gotta cram a lot of info into a news bite. Liability has always been on the pilot for bodily injury and property damage. Although it might be secondary insurance to for some, there are also those people that don't have homeowner or renters coverage, and as such the AMA coverage is primary. There is no other entity providing this much coverage, even if the 99% of the dues went to the insurance.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:41 AM
  #369  
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Rv7garage View Post
Speaking of the AMA.... where are they?? Muncie has been silent of late, no? When are our next instructions forthcoming???
No actually they haven't been silent. Are you not getting their e-mails? They have sent multiple e-mails and issued releases clearly stating that they are working on the registration issues, as well as working on getting the fields in the DC area opened again. For some added context...the registration issue was announced weeks ago...nothing turns on a dime when the feds are involved.

The last e-mail asked members to sit tight until further notice. It's still about 6 weeks til the reg date.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:52 AM
  #370  
Sport_Pilot
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,916
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
exactly correct, the FAA even answers this question in the FAQ's. And before some jump in yes, some folks have decided that they didn't want the govt to have their CC data (despite having virtually everything else hello IRS) so they went and spent money on disposable credit cards, then registered. I think the vast majority will go the CC route though.

I see no need to verify the information. Why fake a registration? One would instead not bother. If they don't trust those registering, why should we trust them? IMO the FAA is as bad as the IRS, don't trust them at all.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:57 AM
  #371  
Sport_Pilot
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,916
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by HoundDog View Post
Anyone know how many peple have registered to date their band new Xmas DRONES?
Like Wise how many are AMA and how many are NON AMA,

Saw a News clip to night on a guy flying a Qad and the announce saying ow U can be held Liable for any property damage U might cause or people U may hurt. Then they told hw can get 2.5 million in Liability coverage by joining the AMA. Go figure. The news media almost got one right... Close but didn't explain it was secondary liability insurance.
Did they say that the AMA insurance would not pay if you were obviously breaking the AMA rules?
Old 01-05-2016, 04:58 AM
  #372  
Rob2160
Senior Member
 
Rob2160's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,786
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HoundDog View Post
O O are u a Who must register a UAS?

The owner must be:
  • 13 years of age or older. (If the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the small unmanned aircraft.)
  • A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident
Q11. Updated: Are non-U.S. citizens visiting the United States on vacation or for drone competitions required to register?

A. Everyone, including foreign nationals and tourists, who operate a UAS for hobby or recreational purposes outdoors in the U.S. must use the FAA's online registration system. These non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent U.S. residents will receive the same registration certificate as U.S. Citizens or permanent U.S. residents. However, this certificate will function as a "recognition of ownership" document. This document is required by the Department of Transportation for foreign nationals to operate legally in the US.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:59 AM
  #373  
Sport_Pilot
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,916
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Would you believe over 160,000 to date? As for the split between ama and non ama, I wouldn't expect that information to ever be available. My understanding is that this isn't a question to be answered on the application, and so far the AMA isn't asking for the information, After 2/19 I suspect many of the AMA members will be. Those that don't might not be aware of the requirement (no computer,don't go to field often, don't fly anymore or fly UMX), and then of course you'll have the purposefully non compliant non sheeple freedom fighters who wont be told what to do by the power and money hungry gubmint.

As for the news story, ya they usually only tell part of the story. Gotta cram a lot of info into a news bite. Liability has always been on the pilot for bodily injury and property damage. Although it might be secondary insurance to for some, there are also those people that don't have homeowner or renters coverage, and as such the AMA coverage is primary. There is no other entity providing this much coverage, even if the 99% of the dues went to the insurance.

So where are these numbers coming from?
Old 01-05-2016, 05:00 AM
  #374  
Sport_Pilot
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,916
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
No actually they haven't been silent. Are you not getting their e-mails? They have sent multiple e-mails and issued releases clearly stating that they are working on the registration issues, as well as working on getting the fields in the DC area opened again. For some added context...the registration issue was announced weeks ago...nothing turns on a dime when the feds are involved.

The last e-mail asked members to sit tight until further notice. It's still about 6 weeks til the reg date.
And even then you don't have to register till you actually fly.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:23 AM
  #375  
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot View Post
Did they say that the AMA insurance would not pay if you were obviously breaking the AMA rules?
They will never come out in writing and make a pronouncement like that...and keep in mind it's the carrier that makes these decisions. Each case needs to be investigated and then a decision is made.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.