Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
AMA says, "Wait to register" >

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Old 01-20-2016, 12:12 PM
  #601  
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,369
Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by daveopam
Hound Dog, that is SOP for me. Unfortunately I am having computer issues today and have not been able too do as I said above. When I get things rolling again I will let each person know that a post has been edited or deleted and why. It is not SOP for me to say in the thread what was going too happen. I did that to try and nip some replies in the bud.

Thanks, David
You could pretty much flush any thread beginning with "AMA" or "FAA" down the crapper , and RCU would be all the better for it , then people could go back to fighting the good ol "Balsa VS Foam" and "Futaba VS Spektrum" battles that we all came to love ..... NOT !!!!

Oh , and let's not forget "Tower VS HobbyKing" , , that's always good for a few hundred angry posts .......
Old 01-20-2016, 12:16 PM
  #602  
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,916
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

How many drones registered now? Maybe a little over 200,000 and most are probably AMA members who have model airplanes not quads. Just read that 1.1 million were sold over the holidays.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:17 PM
  #603  
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,916
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by init4fun
You could pretty much flush any thread beginning with "AMA" or "FAA" down the crapper , and RCU would be all the better for it , then people could go back to fighting the good ol "Balsa VS Foam" and "Futaba VS Spektrum" battles that we all came to love ..... NOT !!!!

Oh , and let's not forget "Tower VS HobbyKing" , , that's always good for a few hundred angry posts .......
Or electric VS glow?
Old 01-20-2016, 12:42 PM
  #604  
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Or electric VS glow?
ARF v kit.....etc etc.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:09 PM
  #605  
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (10)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Somers, WI
Posts: 1,754
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Planes vs. drones!! Muahahahaha!
Old 01-21-2016, 12:29 AM
  #606  
My Feedback: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Roseboro, NC
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hi Guys, and any Ladies present!!!,
Yup, Now we got the FAA playing their B^!! &#!+ games with us stirring up a hornets nest!! "Drones" basically described as an airplane without somebody "in" it!! As we know the "Third Most Often Told LIE In The World" "IS," "I'm from the FAA and I am here to help you!!!" We all know the other two!!! Well,............The fed will be inundated!! There is currently an "18 Month Waiting Period" just for setting up an appointment to get a "Concealed Carry permit" in I believe Riverside County, CA since that shooting incident of recent!.. Five bucks on a credit card on the internet.......yeah right?? How many people got those things for Christmas??? Within a week at least 80% will be "Criminals" because of this new ".Gov edict!!" On a more "lethal" scale, after the "Sandy Hook" Fiasco, a couple of those "Northern States" went bonkers declaring a certain class of fire arm to be "Persona non grata!!" (just one way to put it!!) Anyone not "Registering" them after a specific date ...well you know the drift....... Only now instead of "Fire Arms" it's "Kids Toys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" You think I'm kidding??....How many times have you been looked at with disdain by the local citizenery as "That Grown Man Going out their and Playing with 'Toy Airplanes!'" "NOW YOU ARE A FELLON!!!!!!!" Just don't kiss the fed *****!!! They want five bucks per......As the late Frank Gallop would say in his throaty baritone voice,"R-I-G-H-T-!!!!!!!!" Don't be a Fool, five bucks, hell, they want to really get to know you, who you are where you live, who your wife is, where your kids go to school , how any traffic tickets do you have, do you ever Talk back to cops???" have you ever raised your voice at the PTA Meeting!!!!, It is all part of their Plan!!!! 4AM in the morning and you wonder why a SWAT team is breaking down your front door, shooting "Fifi", putting you in hand cuffs and meanwhile your wife and kids are scared out of their wits!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Think I am kidding, they've done it for less and not to mention done it to the wrong address!!! Well, welcome to the Real world!! Besides Model Airplanes, I fly "Full Scale"9(Solo 7AC Aeronca Chmp, oct '62) You know the ones you have to get in and push the pedals with your feet and pull the stick back and forth!!! Dealt with the feds there too "AND" I am also a "SKYDIVER!!!" We Skydivers as I have stated before are the "******* Stepchildren of General Aviation!!!!!" (First jump 08MAY1964) 'Remember back in '65 there was a "NPRM" by .gov to curtail the areas where skydiving could take place!! That was back in the dayz of "TYPEWRITERS!!!!!" and we pounded key on paper and staved off the .gov for a while, happened again in '72. more pounding keys on paper!! Somehow we SURVIVED!!" thanks to being organized in the AMA brother organization the "United States Parachute Association" of which I have been a member since May of 1964!!!!!!!!!!!! Well boyz and Gurlz, I like Flying, Big Airplanes, Little Airplanes and "ME!!" Now we have our .gov trying to throw another monkey wrench in the werkz!! At Lexington Concord Bridge, Capt. Parker said to his men,"Don't fire unless fired upon, ..If they want to start a war, let it start here!!!" A little more "History for you!
Blue skies,
skybill-standing by
PS, I have more questions...........just not enough whiskey!!
Old 01-21-2016, 04:08 AM
  #607  
My Feedback: (158)
 
scale only 4 me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Avon Lake, OH
Posts: 10,394
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

stopped reading @ B^!! &#!+,, but I'm sure it was a great rant
Old 01-21-2016, 04:21 AM
  #608  
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,916
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
stopped reading @ B^!! &#!+,, but I'm sure it was a great rant
It truly was! You should go back and read it.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:55 AM
  #609  
My Feedback: (90)
 
TLH101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Elephant Butte, N.M.
Posts: 6,716
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

What everyone here seems to forget, is the FAA is a government entity, like the EPA. And we all know the US Government has no power over what the EPA does. Giant corporations with millions of dollars, and the best lawyers in the world, have been unable to sway the EPA, so what makes anyone believe that a few hundred thousand modelers will change what the FAA mandates.
I sure hope I am dead wrong.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:14 AM
  #610  
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,916
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

And we all know the US Government has no power over what the EPA does.
If Obama tells the EPA what to do or not, they do it or not!
Old 01-21-2016, 12:17 PM
  #611  
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)
 
RCKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lawton, OK
Posts: 27,784
Likes: 0
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Ok guys, DaveOPam stepped in and said that if things don't shape up in here there are some posts that may go away, and he is absolutely correct. But if this petty bickering doesn't stop this instant there are some people that are going to go away, permanently!! I don't have to mention any names because they have been warned by me many times and will not receive any further warnings. Any further actions taken by me towards those people will be to simply toss them out the back door of RCU, I am tired of dealing with their crap. All I can say is try me if you feel lucky punk!!! (I'm doing my best Clint Eastwood face here!!!!)

I apologize that I haven't cleaned this up sooner, I have been buried up to my earlobes in a huge network upgrade for a client and haven't been able to get to a keyboard as often as I would have liked.

Ken
Old 01-21-2016, 12:24 PM
  #612  
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,916
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

We were bickering? I thought it was sarcastic humor. Or maybe I missed those posts?
Old 01-21-2016, 10:00 PM
  #613  
My Feedback: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Roseboro, NC
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hi Guys,
When in doubt, run around in circles, scream and shout!! Last night I said I had a lot more questions, just not enough whiskey!! Well, here goes! Right now the FAA declares any "Drone" over a half a pound or there abouts to be licensed!! Do "Sailplanes" count, still flyin my old Mark's Models 'Wanderer' with an old Aero Sport 2 ch radio!! How about my old "Riley Wooten" "Voodoo" that I bashed into an aile-elev 2 ch. slope ship!! I can get some alt. with the Wanderer on a good day but the Voodoo, never get it more than 50-75 yds away from me on the slope!! As if I'm going to mount a cannon on it and go after a "747!!" Are our boys at the FAA just being a little "Over Cautious!!" So they get a few "Complaints" from some "Concerned Citizens" and all HE2xl breaks loose!! I don't know about some joker with a "Drone" with a "Plane to Radio video connection!!" That being the case we are dealing with a lot more than "LINE OF SIGHT!!!!!"
Another thought, "Follow the MONEY!!!!!" "who" is really behind all this B. S.!!!???????
Got Gunz......OUTLAW!!!!!,
III%,
skybill-out
Old 01-22-2016, 04:12 AM
  #614  
My Feedback: (158)
 
scale only 4 me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Avon Lake, OH
Posts: 10,394
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by skybill
Hi Guys,
When in doubt, run around in circles, scream and shout!! Last night I said I had a lot more questions, just not enough whiskey!! Well, here goes! Right now the FAA declares any "Drone" over a half a pound or there abouts to be licensed!! Do "Sailplanes" count, still flyin my old Mark's Models 'Wanderer' with an old Aero Sport 2 ch radio!! How about my old "Riley Wooten" "Voodoo" that I bashed into an aile-elev 2 ch. slope ship!! I can get some alt. with the Wanderer on a good day but the Voodoo, never get it more than 50-75 yds away from me on the slope!! As if I'm going to mount a cannon on it and go after a "747!!" Are our boys at the FAA just being a little "Over Cautious!!" So they get a few "Complaints" from some "Concerned Citizens" and all HE2xl breaks loose!! I don't know about some joker with a "Drone" with a "Plane to Radio video connection!!" That being the case we are dealing with a lot more than "LINE OF SIGHT!!!!!"
Another thought, "Follow the MONEY!!!!!" "who" is really behind all this B. S.!!!???????
Got Gunz......OUTLAW!!!!!,
III%,
skybill-out
Well, kinda about money,, but not how you infer,,,Not that complicated,,

Look at this Flint MI fiasco,, the Gov. had info,, did nothing for over a year,, even though it was the city/states responsibility to provide the clean water,, the EPA knew of the problem and didn't do anything,, It's the Federal EPA now that's going to get Sued big time,, it's always the entity with the deepest pockets that gets sued..

Now,, the FAA knows there is a danger to General Aviation from these few idiots that think they can fly their "Drones" anywhere the want,, this has also been going on for a long time with the FAA "doing nothing", Let's say the worse case scenario takes place and a drone takes down a 737,, who are the lawyers going to sue?? That's right,, the FAA.

Like everything that get's screwed up in this Country,, it's about the lawyers trying to leach out a luxury living on society while appearing to be defenders of the weak and oppressed.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:20 AM
  #615  
 
BrightGarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Hudson Valley. New York. USA
Posts: 283
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Well, kinda about money,, but not how you infer,,,Not that complicated,,

(...)

Like everything that get's screwed up in this Country,, it's about the lawyers trying to leach out a luxury living on society while appearing to be defenders of the weak and oppressed.
However, lawsuit is the language to be spoken here. I don't think you are saying that the FAA's actions have been justifiable, at the strength and scope they applied the regs.

A lawsuit against the FAA (click to follow) is just a move on a chessboard, part of the scrum. And if we don't have a suit in the fray, nothing is going to happen to unwind the situation.
The AMA should have reactivated our lawsuit against the FAA immediately, to delineate the limits of control we are willing to live with.

I am the first to say regs had to be put in place. We as citizens deserve more than the Obamacare'esque garbage rule that was put in place. If we put up with this "throw it against the wall and see what sticks" MO, lawmaking in the US is only going to get uglier and uglier.

Lawsuit is the language, and the tool.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:04 AM
  #616  
My Feedback: (49)
 
HoundDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Apache Junction AZ. WI 0WI8
Posts: 4,501
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by init4fun
You could pretty much flush any thread beginning with "AMA" or "FAA" down the crapper , and RCU would be all the better for it , then people could go back to fighting the good ol "Balsa VS Foam" and "Futaba VS Spektrum" battles that we all came to love ..... NOT !!!!

Oh , and let's not forget "Tower VS HobbyKing" , , that's always good for a few hundred angry posts .......
We still are doing that Except the subject is now changed to Traditional vs Quad (Drone) if U prefer. LOL Man could U see if we were ALL in the same AMA club. It might even come to Fist-a-Cuffs ... Probably wouldn't even have the same animosities tword each other as we have here on RCU.


If we all had the same opinion then the world would be a very boring place






Last edited by HoundDog; 01-22-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:39 AM
  #617  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 1,169
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I am angry with the AMA because they had the opportunity to exclude the FPV aspect from the Association some time ago when a lot of the members asked them to do it. The problem that we are facing today was made clear more than two years ago and it didn't take a crystal ball to see it coming. I feel like they have let me down and are now totally unable to deal with the bureaucracy to reach some kid of reasonable solution.


I am angry with the FAA because they implemented a typical government knee jerk overreaction to a problem that is limited to a few stupid individuals. We are the only country that has effectively clamped down on model aircraft. In my particular case I live on the fringe of the 30 NM no fly zone around Washington D.C.

Our flying field has been shut down and we are not even allowed, under the new regs, to fly micro planes which is simply ludicrous. So like I said earlier I feel as though I'm living in some vestige of the old soviet union where common sense had nothing to do with government. Whatever happened to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness? I have life but my liberty is being restricted more each day and now, I am no longer able to pursue happiness.

This entire situation is ridiculous and we need a common sense solution that everyone can live with.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:30 PM
  #618  
 
jeffrey solomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: TITUSVILLE FLORIDA NY
Posts: 207
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I don't know if you got the most recent AMA email this evening 1/25/16

about the 2014 lawsuit and the AMA trip to DC
but I emailed almost all the departments at

the AMA last night about just these issues.
Today we all get a response?
I find the coincidence interesting.


Jeff Solomon





I sent the AMA this suggestion,




Dear AMA,

Before you go to Capital Hill, it might be wise to prepare a petition that could be presented to the entire AMA

membership via email. I would leave the exact wording to you and our attorneys, but it should reflect the basic
objections we AMA members have to the FAA interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft.

The petition with all the members, names and emails should then be sent, and brought to all


the
members of Congress and their staffs. This will demonstrate to Congress the great dissatisfaction we hold
against the actions of the FAA and hope to persuade Congress to support or wishes to preserve model aviation.



Respectfully


Jeffrey Solomon


Old 01-26-2016, 04:56 AM
  #619  
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,916
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by topspin
I am angry with the AMA because they had the opportunity to exclude the FPV aspect from the Association some time ago when a lot of the members asked them to do it. The problem that we are facing today was made clear more than two years ago and it didn't take a crystal ball to see it coming. I feel like they have let me down and are now totally unable to deal with the bureaucracy to reach some kid of reasonable solution.


I am angry with the FAA because they implemented a typical government knee jerk overreaction to a problem that is limited to a few stupid individuals. We are the only country that has effectively clamped down on model aircraft. In my particular case I live on the fringe of the 30 NM no fly zone around Washington D.C.

Our flying field has been shut down and we are not even allowed, under the new regs, to fly micro planes which is simply ludicrous. So like I said earlier I feel as though I'm living in some vestige of the old soviet union where common sense had nothing to do with government. Whatever happened to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness? I have life but my liberty is being restricted more each day and now, I am no longer able to pursue happiness.

This entire situation is ridiculous and we need a common sense solution that everyone can live with.
I honestly don't see an issue here. To not do this would have only meant smaller numbers of AMA members. The drone association does not exist for AMA FPV flights. In fact the issue was non FPV drones as BLOS is illegal at present. The association is entirely from congress's definition of "model airplane" which includes drones. This was not an issue in 2012 when it was adopted.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:40 AM
  #620  
My Feedback: (158)
 
scale only 4 me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Avon Lake, OH
Posts: 10,394
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I honestly don't see an issue here. To not do this would have only meant smaller numbers of AMA members. The drone association does not exist for AMA FPV flights. In fact the issue was non FPV drones as BLOS is illegal at present. The association is entirely from congress's definition of "model airplane" which includes drones. This was not an issue in 2012 when it was adopted.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.


Please excuse the plagiarism
,
Old 01-26-2016, 01:22 PM
  #621  
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,916
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.


Please excuse the plagiarism
,
The reasoning is that somehow the newer drones are giving the AMA a bad name. And the fact that the AMA allows FPV makes the AMA drone lovers, thus the bad reputation extends to us. But the issue is not just the high tech drones, but also the easy to buy and use foamie electric planes and cheaper MR's as well. That association goes back to the definition of a "Model Airplane" which was determined by a sUAV ad hoc committee in 2008 and put into law in 2012. It actually has nothing to do with FPV and the word drone is not part of the official.

OK, I actually have explained it, but I cannot understand it for you.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:54 PM
  #622  
My Feedback: (158)
 
scale only 4 me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Avon Lake, OH
Posts: 10,394
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

It's as simple as this... Once Again,, The opportunity for the AMA to argue to the FAA "we don't fly drones" is long gone,,
thanks to things like this Comprendo??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DCRC1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	2143658  
Old 01-26-2016, 03:20 PM
  #623  
My Feedback: (21)
 
Luchnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Amelia, VA
Posts: 2,079
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
It's as simple as this... Once Again,, The opportunity for the AMA to argue to the FAA "we don't fly drones" is long gone,,
thanks to things like this Comprendo??
So the AMA is sleeping with drones?
Old 01-26-2016, 03:26 PM
  #624  
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Better than sleeping with the fishes! Just ask Luca Brasi!
Old 01-26-2016, 05:05 PM
  #625  
 
jeffrey solomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: TITUSVILLE FLORIDA NY
Posts: 207
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I am not sure your use of the term reactivate our lawsuit is accurate regarding the 8/22/2014 action
AMA v FAA #14-1158.

I spoke to Chad Budreau several weeks before the email of 1/25/16 from the AMA that mentioned this lawsuit.

What the AMA did not say in last nights email is that the case is in abeyance as per the request of the FAA.

I sent emails on 1/24/16 to most everyone on the AMA department list asking "what does the AMA plan to do to get the case out of abeyance.

Really can the respondent indefinitely tie up the issue while they gather more information, which was the reason the FAA used with the court.

The AMA lawyers would probably have to write to the court and request that the court get off its' as and demand that the case should

commence and further delay is causing damages to the petitioner, namely us, the AMA.

During this long delay more actions by the FAA against us have come into being, and with each new member that registers, the reason for the

lawsuit becomes a less and less pressing issue. That is to say: If everyone is complying with the FAA regulations why should a lawsuit

against the FAA be re-instituted ? taken out of abeyance. I believe the FAA is aware of the growing numbers of AMA pilots who register

and are just waiting us out. That is why I had suggested to the AMA executive council that an electronic petition should be created quickly

and sent to them even if they have already arrived in DC. To be present to congressmen that they are meeting with as well as the FAA.

Not that I expect the FAA to be terribly impressed with any numbers we present to them, and I think the FAA could do the math to determine

how many AMA members have not registered. But I was told by one of the posters, "its too late baby" to do anything, let the "pros" handle it.


I am not real happy with the "pros" performance to date.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.