Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 05:08 AM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
My guess is that some seniors may not yet be aware that there is a problem. There are several in my club without computers.
If you are a member of a club, then it is the clubs "duty" to inform it's members about the requirement. That's the job of the club officers (or whomever is in charge).
Old 12-21-2015, 05:23 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Ummm, not quite true. Quite some time back I actually printed out 336 and the FAA interpretation - they go with me to the flying field (I'm out here without a AMA club available). On the few occasions that I have been questioned I've simply handed them "THE LAW" so they could check for themselves. It's actually worked with civilians, local police and State police.

Awesome!
Old 12-21-2015, 05:40 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Lightning Fan
Porcia -
Totally agree - we are arrogant as a group if we think that the AMA had any real clout here. Their efforts probably saved us from more draconian rules, but there is no way that this registration process was going to be stopped by AMA. Not with the efforts of apparently more people than I ever imagined having something to say to the FAA about small unmanned vehicles. If you read the register ... our comments are in fact discussed, sometimes even down to what an individual RC guy said ... and it looks to me like the FAA acknowledged the size of our population ... but with all that, we fit into a relatively small space in the overall commentary.
As far as the folks that blame the AMA ... well, I'm a club officer, and I've been "elected" for several years with no opposition. It isn't because I do such a great job. It is because it is far easier to complain than it is to do something, and run for office. Same thing here in this forum. Those that want to lynch the AMA, go for it, as long as I see your name on the ballot next renewal.
By no means am I suggesting we should roll over on this - we need to continue to try to keep this rational with the FAA. They probably figure we are the only ones that actually know what we are talking about, given what I see in the register.
You are more able to cut through all the noise and distill down some of the core issues....but that is lost on many here. Just look below your post as a prime example, among others. It's the AMA's fault, it's the FAA fault. They both are making a huge grab for money (you know, the non profit AMA), and the FAA (who doesn't "profit" from 5.00 regs that scale pilots have been paying for years), so there's that. And now I see we are an organization that has no respect, sure, add that onto the list. Not to be undone we now see a comment about a budget of "dozens to hundreds of millions of dollars", whatever that means. Of course they have to have a budget, new programs just don't spring up and run themselves free of charge. But then again, this is from the FAA who has first criminalized the hobby, and now wants to be judge and jury and smother us with a wet towel and do away the hobby I guess. It just may be that they want to keep the skies we all fly in with both scale and model aircraft safe. But that's just my thoughts.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:40 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Originally Posted by DavidAgar
I am going to register on Monday just so I can get it out of the way. It will be free and good for 3 years and I enjoy flying my planes. I understand why the AMA is saying what it is saying as they have filed some legal claims against the FAA and they will want to see what happens with that. I also understand that using our AMA numbers would be a lot easier as we are supposed to have our number on our planes already, or an address. It is ashamed that it has come to this because some of the Drone Idiot's have to fly around airliners and forest fires, but it is what it is. I just heard on the news a few days back that Portland Airport, which is the one that I use, was close to the top of the list for reported close encounters with real aircraft and Drone's. Not sure what a Drone would do to a real airplane, but I don't want to be on the plane that finds out. I also do not think that this rule is going to stop the Idiots, as the Hobby Shops are selling Drones by the dozens daily and I would wager an extremely small per centage of the purchasers would register. It is no different than the folks that go to the same Hobby Shop and by a ready to fly plane and head out to the local park, not even knowing about the AMA or a local club and attempt to fly the plane. Once again it goes back to the same old adage, You just can't fix stupid......
We're you able to register today?
Old 12-21-2015, 08:56 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It is my hope that the AMA can at least negotiate to have our FAA registration handled automatically through them. That is my guess as to why they want us to hold off registering until the current deadline.
I don't see what harm [at this point] will be done if I go along with that.
[Maybe I should read ALL of the replies to this thread FIRST in order to form a better opinion..?]
Old 12-21-2015, 09:09 AM
poison

So us real RC flyers not drones can reg in February right? Or do we now? And do you have to have a sticker for each aircraft?
Old 12-21-2015, 09:13 AM
franklin_m

I just registered. I have to say it was the most unduly burdensome four minute 20 odd seconds of my life; I understand now why AMA is fighting it so much, it was very traumatizing.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:13 AM
StevL

I have a question...???

From the FAA site:
Why do I need to register?
A. Federal law requires aircraft registration. Registration helps us ensure safety – for you, others on the ground, and manned aircraft. UAS pose new security and privacy challenges and must be traceable in the event of an incident. It will also help enable the return of your UAS should it be lost.

Can someone point me to this "law"??

Thx,
Steve
Old 12-21-2015, 10:09 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by StevL
I have a question...???

From the FAA site:
Why do I need to register?
A. Federal law requires aircraft registration. Registration helps us ensure safety – for you, others on the ground, and manned aircraft. UAS pose new security and privacy challenges and must be traceable in the event of an incident. It will also help enable the return of your UAS should it be lost.

Can someone point me to this "law"??

Thx,
Steve
Hi Steve ,

The specific act that Congress passed way back in aviation's early days , the act that established the FAA , gave the FAA the authority to keep account of all aircraft that fly in the USA . Now of course , we (model aircraft hobbyists) didn't exist in those days in any kinds of meaningful or troublesome numbers and so weren't considered or mentioned in any of these laws . All the FAA had to do was to declare that we are flying aircraft , granted unmanned aircraft but aircraft nonetheless , to force us into the pre existing requirement that they keep track of ALL aircraft . I guess the only real contestable point is whether hobby grade model aircraft are "real" aircraft and subject to FAA control . Some seem to be of the notion that the FAA can only control manned aircraft , but they are taking the term aircraft to mean anything man made that flies and weighs over 1/2 pound , manned or not . If you closely examine special rule #336 it prevents any NEW ruling affecting hobby use model aircraft , but by declaring us aircraft in the first place the FAA claims we automatically fall under the aircraft registration mandate in force since the FAA's inception .
Old 12-21-2015, 10:19 AM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

[h=3]Birth of Federal Aviation Agency[/h]On May 21, 1958, Senator A. S. "Mike" Monroney (D-OK) introduced a bill to create an independent Federal Aviation Agency to provide for the safe and efficient use of national airspace. Two months later, on August 23, 1958, the President signed the Federal Aviation Act, which transferred the Civil Aeronautics Authority's functions to a new independent Federal Aviation Agency responsible for civil aviation safety. Although the Federal Aviation Agency technically came into existence with the passage of the act, it actually assumed its functions in stages. Under the provisions of the act, the Federal Aviation Agency would begin operations 60 days after the appointment of the first Federal Aviation Agency Administrator. On November 1, 1958, retired Air Force General Elwood "Pete" Quesada became the first Federal Aviation Agency Administrator. Sixty days later, on December 31, the Federal Aviation Agency began operations
Old 12-21-2015, 10:20 AM
StevL

Thx for the clarification, now I see why I couldn't find a relatively current "law".

Steve
Old 12-21-2015, 10:36 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I just registered. I have to say it was the most unduly burdensome four minute 20 odd seconds of my life; I understand now why AMA is fighting it so much, it was very traumatizing.
Where? I went to the site http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/ but nothing happens when I click on the registration button(s). What was so burdensome?
Old 12-21-2015, 10:46 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
Where? I went to the site http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/ but nothing happens when I click on the registration button(s). What was so burdensome?
Try this link

https://registermyuas.faa.gov/

Ken
Old 12-21-2015, 10:51 AM
Sport_Pilot

The specific act that Congress passed way back in aviation's early days , the act that established the FAA , gave the FAA the authority to keep account of all aircraft that fly in the USA
That law only gave them authority to protect and regulate navigable airspace. That is the airspace below the minimum altitude rules.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:52 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by RCKen
Wait till the AMA say's its OK.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:05 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Why ?
Old 12-21-2015, 11:10 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
What was so burdensome?

I believe our friend Franklin was joking , in light of all the unhappiness that this FAA action has caused . Not gonna speak for the guy , but that's my take on the meaning behind his post .

Yes , most of us , myself included , see this as more govt. waste and intrusion , but I for one am NOT going to be selling any planes because of it .
Old 12-21-2015, 11:14 AM
init4fun

That law only gave them authority to protect and regulate navigable airspace. That is the airspace below the minimum altitude rules.
They say "ToMAto" and we say "ToMAHto" , and it'll take the courts till the end of our lives to figure out the difference .

Meanwhile , I'll be doing whatever it takes to legally fly my planes and not end up being made an example of .
Old 12-21-2015, 11:14 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by init4fun
I believe our friend Franklin was joking , in light of all the unhappiness that this FAA action has caused . Not gonna speak for the guy , but that's my take on the meaning behind his post .

Yes , most of us , myself included , see this as more govt. waste and intrusion , but I for one am NOT going to be selling any planes because of it .
More sarcasm than anything. Not sure why AMA is fighting this so hard unless it's to try and get something, no matter how inconsequential, that they can point to as a victory in all this.

Of note, format of FAA number is completely different than AMA number, so I'm not holding my breath that AMA's effort to make their numbers valid for registration.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:23 AM
RC_Fanatic

Maybe the FAA has already given up. I get a blank screen when I click on "Register my Drone."
Old 12-21-2015, 11:28 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by HoundDog
It just boggles the Mind that anyone would fight getting a FREE Number from the FEDs and placing in ON/IN your R/C TOY. It satisfies the FAA and cost's U nothing. U pay for Plates for your car and many in the USA must be inspected every year. Don't forget the License U must have in your Possession to drive your car. The FAA can require ALL R/C Toys to be licensed and the Pilot too. Just as they already do if U Fly for anything but FUN or EDUCATION. Mark My words. That's the Next step if too many People refuse to register them selves as R/C TOY Flyers in the NAS. Just saying "
Fly and don't comply we'll all suffer the FAA's Dieir".
They can even offer a say $1000 reward for info leading to a conviction for Flying with out Registration. Think that might take care of having to monitor everyone every where all the time.
So let me get this straight. You would be ok with somebody getting convicted and fined for flying in a safe manner on an AMA field just because they did not register? And you are ok with offering a 1000.00 reward to get fellow AMA members to narc out registration offenders? The same registration that will do absolutely zero to solve the problem of stupid people doing stupid things? Wow! That is twisted.

Just an FYI, i'm not registering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2015, 11:37 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I was simply supply the address to the registration page.

However, as I have stated in my earlier post in this thread, I have my reservations about following the AMA's advice. The AMA has been involved with this process involving the FAA from the very begging, what are they going to accomplish in the next 30-60 days that they have not been able to accomplish in the last 2 years?? And as Franklin_M has stated in posts in many threads last week, I think that the AMA is putting themselves at a huge risk of putting themselves out of the game by playing this hand. The FAA could very well tell them that they are going to refuse to deal with them completely because of this action that the AMA has taken by asking it's membership to wait. It's my opinion that the AMA has taken a very VERY reckless action that could damage them as an organization in this entire process and that if they FAA takes action to not deal with the AMA then we will no longer have any representation in this matter at all. The AMA is supposed to do what WE tell them to do, NOT us doing what they tell us to do. I'm not a mindless lemming that is going to blindly follow off a cliff simply because Bob Brown and his band of croonies wants a few more days to try and look like some kind of hero. If and when the AMA can make some kind of headway with the FAA then I will be the first one to step up and say that I was wrong, however I seriously doubt that is going to happen as the FAA is not going to back down to the AMA. The AMA is only doing this action so that they "appear" like their are trying to do something to "save the day", in my opinion. As I have already said, they have had their chance as they have been in all the meetings with the FAA from the beginning going back for the last 2 or so years and yet we are still here with the regulations that we have.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox again.

Ken
Old 12-21-2015, 11:50 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Originally Posted by RCKen
However, as I have stated in my earlier post in this thread, I have my reservations about following the AMA's advice.
+1

I'm not waiting around. Hell, I'm in so many federal government databases as it is - military, FAA airplane registrations, medical, pilot certificates, TSA, etc. etc - that this is just a match on a bonfire as far as "big brother" crap goes. Plus, I don't need some overzealous Barney Fife government douche bag out to make a name for himself showing up and making things even more of a hassle.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:59 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo
+1

I'm not waiting around. Hell, I'm in so many federal government databases as it is - military, FAA airplane registrations, medical, pilot certificates, TSA, etc. etc - that this is just a match on a bonfire as far as "big brother" crap goes. Plus, I don't need some overzealous Barney Fife government douche bag out to make a name for himself showing up and making things even more of a hassle.
I agree with you as well. I have held a TS/BI clearance when I was in the Army as well as several background checks that I had to have because of government contracts I have done in my personal business I'm really not too worried about having one more registration. However, the one thing that did bother me was putting my every day use credit card on a government website. Working IT for a living I know the level a security those sited hold and I really didn't want my credit card floating out there, so when registration time came I used a pre-paid Visa card for my registration.

So yes, I have already registered. It took all of about 3 minutes this morning to do. And as far as the FAA's claims about having the charge my credit card to "verify the user", well that went down the toilet, because as I said I used a pre-paid Visa for that. So there is no authenticating me there!!! But at least my credit card number isn't sitting on a government website.

Ken
Old 12-21-2015, 12:01 PM
init4fun

More sarcasm than anything. Not sure why AMA is fighting this so hard unless it's to try and get something, no matter how inconsequential, that they can point to as a victory in all this.

Of note, format of FAA number is completely different than AMA number, so I'm not holding my breath that AMA's effort to make their numbers valid for registration.
Hi Franklin ,

Yes , I do believe the AMA is attempting to "save face" here , but that the battle is already pretty much lost . It is my belief that by getting the "inhofe exemption" and then allowing drones into the fold , that the AMA sought to position itself as the only CBO and in charge of anything that flies that's not manned and not commercial , and that the FAA wasn't about to hand over that kind of control to anyone but itself . Yes indeed , #336 may keep the FAA from enacting any new model airplane regulation but based on previous regulation if we are indeed "aircraft" then they are technically right , we are subject to the decades old registration requirement for all aircraft . The only possible "out" that I see would be in getting the court to declare us not aircraft , and I honestly believe SO little that will happen that I registered a few hours ago myself , in an attempt to beat the rush and get it done before the inevitable site crash that will likely happen sometime this afternoon .

And also , Yes , my AMA number is only 5 digits , numbers only whereas my new FAA number is ten , reading "FA" and then eight other random letters and numbers .

PS , I really want to Thank You for being one of the reasonable voices out here ! There have been a few who have saw fit to post some kinda nasty stuff directed at me cause I'm not taking up pitchforks and torches against the FAA , who I see as being in a difficult position here between the demand for safety and accountability , and our right to enjoy out toys without undue interference . In other words , I don't think that to the FAA this is as personal as some folks out here have tried to make it out to be .

To the folks who've posted their barbs at me ; Hey , this whole registration thing , Do I like it ? Hell no ! Do I understand where it's coming from ? Sadly , yes , Am I willing to go to jail or pay a huge fine to prove my displeasure with all this ? HELL NO ! Going forward , I'll watch the AMA's case play out in court , but if the only defense they (we) have got is that these AREN'T aircraft , well then ya'll best get to registering , cause of course they are air traveling man made craft , how can we possibly deny this ?

Last edited by init4fun; 12-21-2015 at 12:08 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.