Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
AMA says, "Wait to register" >

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Old 12-21-2015, 12:04 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ken, I like it when you're on your soapbox. You sound just exactly like me, but younger maybe.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:13 PM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Ken, I like it when you're on your soapbox. You sound just exactly like me, but younger maybe.

I don't know how old you are. I get a lot of my views from the group I fly with. I'm the youngest in the group at 51. They are all old farts and I call myself an old fart in training!!!!!

Ken
Old 12-21-2015, 12:18 PM
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
Maybe the FAA has already given up. I get a blank screen when I click on "Register my Drone."
worked for me I'm good for three year!!!

[TABLE="width: 3"]
[TR]
[TD]Small UAS Certificate of Registration[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]CERTIFICATE HOLDER:[/TD]
[TD]T**** R*****[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]UAS CERTIFICATE NUMBER:[/TD]
[TD]FA33R****9[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]ISSUED:[/TD]
[TD]12/21/2015[/TD]
[TD]EXPIRES:[/TD]
[TD]12/21/2018[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 12-21-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Let's just say that when you were born, I was driving cars, and leave it at that. Geez, my youngest brother is older than you. OMG, I'm ANCIENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...time for my nap.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:31 PM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Let's just say that when you were born, I was driving cars, and leave it at that. Geez, my youngest brother is older than you. OMG, I'm ANCIENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...time for my nap.

See, I'm a grumpy old fart in training!!!!!

Small UAS Certificate of Registration[TABLE="class: cms_table"]
[TR]
[TD]CERTIFICATE HOLDER:[/TD]
[TD]Ken Isaac[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TABLE="class: cms_table"]
[TR]
[TD]UAS CERTIFICATE NUMBER:[/TD]
[TD]FA33R****P[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TABLE="class: cms_table"]
[TR]
[TD]ISSUED:[/TD]
[TD]12/21/2015[/TD]
[TD]EXPIRES:[/TD]
[TD]12/21/2018[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Same here. Like I said, took me about 3 minutes or so to get it done. Right now the registration website appears to be back up again.

Ken
Old 12-21-2015, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the camp to where I see no reason at the current time to make waves and not register with the FAA as like it or not this is now a LEGAL requirement prior to operating a model aircraft. If you are an AMA member you have already agreed to abide by the same safety rules as you are agreeing to with the FAA.
I also would guess that 99.9% of people that frequent r/c forums are fairly serious and responsible modelers that cares about the hobby and do not operate their models in an unsafe or reckless manner and cares about the future of the hobby.

We have to realize that the general population of the U.S.A. is over 311 million people and the AMA has a membership that is less than 200,000. Percentage wise our numbers are not even hardly a blip on the radar in the grand scheme of society and with the recent negative media coverage concerning drones grounding firefighters planes out west, near misses with full size aircraft, buzzing national monuments, crashing on the White House lawn, spying and recording peoples families at their pools and through their windows the general public is starting to voice their objections and demand some sort of action be taken which this registration is that first step.

As responsible modelers we should hope that the next time some Yahoo flying near an airport causes a full size passenger plane to take evasive action to avoid contact that the FAA bust them and charges them with everything in the book and fines them out the yahoo so that will make the mainstream news. We may not be the ones causing the problems but Joe Public does not see or know the difference.

We need to be the ones that is helping with solutions not being a part of the problem. You do not want to register then don't, that is one thing great about our country you can decide what coarse of action you personally take but 3 months down the road if you get cited or fined for non-compliance that's on you, not the FAA or the AMA.
Personally, I have already signed up so I am legal for the next three years. I do not care who shows up where I am flying asking for registration paperwork. I will show them my little piece of paper and continue on with my day!
Old 12-21-2015, 12:46 PM
My Feedback: (2)

[h=1]This is from the EAA page on ultralight registration

Registration[/h] When the FAA published Part 103, that portion of the FARs that pertains to ultralight flight, they did so with the assumption that participants would self-regulate. By offering free registration programs for students, pilots, and ultralight vehicles, EAA is helping the ultralight community meet that commitment to self-regulation. If we don’t regulate ourselves, the FAA will be forced to do it for us.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grotto2
This is from the EAA page on ultralight registration

Registration

When the FAA published Part 103, that portion of the FARs that pertains to ultralight flight, they did so with the assumption that participants would self-regulate. By offering free registration programs for students, pilots, and ultralight vehicles, EAA is helping the ultralight community meet that commitment to self-regulation. If we donít regulate ourselves, the FAA will be forced to do it for us.
I would also contend that in the case of part 103 self regulation, that there's incentives to be safe that are just not shared by the RC community. For example, if a part 103 pilot is dangerous, he/she runs the very real risk of injury or death of something they care about ... themselves. Contrast that with the RC community where the pilot faces very little personal risk if they misbehave.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:18 PM
My Feedback: (55)

Originally Posted by RCKen
However, the one thing that did bother me was putting my every day use credit card on a government website. Working IT for a living I know the level a security those sited hold and I really didn't want my credit card floating out there, so when registration time came I used a pre-paid Visa card for my registration.
This is the part that actually irks me, too. Not crazy about divulging this info on a government website. BUT, that said, I have to do it when I renew my real estate license, or renew car tags online, - yes, that's state and not federal, but still government - so it's not like a new trail is being blazed here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as fed up with federal level intrusion as anyone (even have the Navy Jack "Don't Tread On Me" sticker on my bumper), but at this point model aircraft FAA registration is LAW, like it or not (it's NOT in my case), and regardless of the AMA's recommendation. I suppose it all comes down to what level of compliance each and every one of us is willing to live with, "sheeple" accusations notwithstanding...

Last edited by VF84sluggo; 12-21-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:38 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The problem with Joe Public is that many don't even know who the first President was let alone who would be responsible for some plane accident etc.
Mostly they only know what they see and are told by the local and National Media. Of course that's not the best source of information.
So AMA needs to run a National (albeit expensive) ad much like the NRA does to get its message to the masses.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:58 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by vfourmax
the general public is starting to voice their objections and demand some sort of action be taken which this registration is that first step.
I think we are very lucky to only have registration to deal with now. It's conceivable that if a serious accident does occur that model flying could be banned outright. All model flyers should be standing in solidarity with any action that ensures the long term viability of our hobby.

To whine that "if only we hadn't taken the drones into the AMA" we wouldn't be in this position is head in the sand at its worst.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:24 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Well, after an hour and a half, trying various things, I still cannot get registered. I have login set up, have been able sometimes to get my profile information stored, and one time got to where I could enter my credit card info, but could never get to the last step of getting my number. I was using Firefox, then tried IE, but no go. Closed and re-opened browser windows, tried everything I could but even when I can get part way through, it just hangs up, sometimes with error messages from the site saying a token is missing, frequently Firefox says that the redirection will not go to a valid address. Shades of Obamacare! No problems with any other websites.

Will go have a beer or two, then try again tomorrow.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by radfordc
I think we are very lucky to only have registration to deal with now. It's conceivable that if a serious accident does occur that model flying could be banned outright. All model flyers should be standing in solidarity with any action that ensures the long term viability of our hobby.

To whine that "if only we hadn't taken the drones into the AMA" we wouldn't be in this position is head in the sand at its worst
Well, you can call it "whining" to try and diminish those with the opinion that if we (ama) had distanced ourselves from them we could with a straight face tell the FAA "don't have to worry about us, we don't fly them",,,, but since we're forever joined at the hip because of the AMA's choices,, we're going to have to do what ever they say "Drones" must do forever.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:27 PM

Well, after an hour and a half, trying various things, I still cannot get registered. I have login set up, have been able sometimes to get my profile information stored, and one time got to where I could enter my credit card info, but could never get to the last step of getting my number. I was using Firefox, then tried IE, but no go. Closed and re-opened browser windows, tried everything I could but even when I can get part way through, it just hangs up, sometimes with error messages from the site saying a token is missing, frequently Firefox says that the redirection will not go to a valid address. Shades of Obamacare! No problems with any other websites.

I heard they're using Hillary's basement server,,, try tomorrow
Old 12-21-2015, 02:37 PM

Just watching my local newscast and they had a piece about the drone registration requirements
Old 12-21-2015, 02:50 PM

Just watching my local newscast and they had a piece about the drone registration requirements
How wrong were they?
Old 12-21-2015, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
How wrong were they?
Actually they just gave the facts of any drone bought today or afterwards needed to be registered prior to flight and any previously owned drone had to be registered within 60 days with the FAA.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:35 PM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
How wrong were they?
Hi Scale ,

In my area , the 5 second news blurb that counts for coverage of this has it correct that drones gotta register , but not a single news outlet has once mentioned that this also affects ALL flying things above 1/2 pound , drone or not . And the AMA ? 99.9999 percent of the public still thinks that's the American Medical Association , and have never not once heard speak of the Academy of Model Aeronautics during the oh so brief few seconds the news outlets have (or really should i say haven't) devoted to this .
Old 12-21-2015, 04:20 PM
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by flycatch
What gives gentlemen I went to the website and you can't register. Not only that but it says that your five dollar registration fee will be refunded. I thought the registration fee was waivered for the first thirty days.
What's not free about a REFund?
Old 12-21-2015, 04:26 PM

HEY U ARE NOT Registering DRONES It's the PILOT that's is REGISTERED PERIOD...GET IT, GOT IT, GOOD.

And Yes I'm Yelling
Old 12-21-2015, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi Scale ,

In my area , the 5 second news blurb that counts for coverage of this has it correct that drones gotta register , but not a single news outlet has once mentioned that this also affects ALL flying things above 1/2 pound , drone or not . And the AMA ? 99.9999 percent of the public still thinks that's the American Medical Association , and have never not once heard speak of the Academy of Model Aeronautics during the oh so brief few seconds the news outlets have (or really should i say haven't) devoted to this .

HEY U ARE NOT Registering DRONES It's the PILOT that's is REGISTERED PERIOD...GET IT, GOT IT, GOOD.

And Yes I'm Yelling
Old 12-21-2015, 04:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had trouble with IE, so I used Google Chrome. It went smoothly, then.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:33 PM

Sorry hound , I decided that after last night's BS storm from you and your other drone lovin buddy , I'm done bothering to get riled about the trash you post . Some out here are here to actually discuss things in a friendly manner , and I plan to concentrate my responses to those with the common decency to treat the other posters with something resembling respect .

Yell all ya want , it's finally falling on ears , now that I have tuned your BS out .......
Old 12-21-2015, 04:34 PM
My Feedback: (193)

I'm registered too. Actually, twice. Just wanted to be sure. The web page is reminiscent of the Obamacare web site. Just a little FUBAR. I took their survey also, asking me how much fun it was to use the web page. They are not going to be happy with the responses, but they asked. I didn't feel like it was voluntary. There was a 'thank you' at the bottom of the last page, and yes there were several pages in the survey. I do feel better now. Three years. Registration is 10 digits long. Can't wait to put it on my planes. Annual fee $0 net (this time).

I wonder how they will monitor when someone gives up the hobby? Come to think of it, in 44 years of flying R/C, as a member of several clubs in two states, and now a frequent flier, I have NEVER seen anyone at a flying field from the FAA. Never, as in never. My insurance company, AMA, says wait. Why? Looking for a reason, not a rationale.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by TomCrump
I had trouble with IE, so I used Google Chrome. It went smoothly, then.
Hi Tom ,

I used firefox and did my registration at around 10:30 EST and it worked fine .

The ten digit id comprised of both letters and numbers seems kinda odd after all these years of a 5 digit , numbers only AMA id , but I guess I'll get used to it ....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.