Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
AMA says, "Wait to register" >

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Old 12-22-2015, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
No navigable airspace does not include the air below 1'000 feet in populated areas and 500 feet from people and structures in rural areas so wherever you stand there is a bubble of 500 feet of non-navigable airspace.
I recall flying full scale low off the beach I would have to turn or climb around boats. I decided not to do that again because you are maneuvering a lot not far above the stall speed and the view is not that much better. Also someone could disagree with me that I was 500 feet from those boats, or I could be wrong, and they could take my N number and report. So I decided that was foolish and stayed above 600 feet after that. But yes that area is not navigable airspace. As is the area around a tall antennae for example.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Anyone could do that now if they know where to look, Anyone who owns property has their info online,, so my name & address gets posted?? then what? You know how many strangers I've given my address to over the years?? It's in the 6-7 Hundreds that I've sold crap to or bought stuff from.
Not free anymore. But also if you register and have a flyaway then the person who finds the model could report you to the FAA who would then fine you for losing control of your aircraft.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:58 AM
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

No navigable airspace does not include the air below 1'000 feet in populated areas and 500 feet from people and structures in rural areas so wherever you stand there is a bubble of 500 feet of non-navigable airspace.
And there in lies the problem right?,, our planes are capable of bursting that bubble,, and the a-holes who fly irresponsibly have brought this on us,,, I'm in no way happy or defending the FAA on this, But to do nothing would open the Gov. up to serious liability if/when one of these aholes puts his drone through a GE-90. I believe they can care less about most of us, and will never show up at a field, but to do nothing would be irresponsible also..

Giving them my name and address so they know I'm one of the good guys?? still can't see how that harms me.

laters

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 12-22-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I read the regulations properly, ALL unmanned flying devices flown out doors and weighing more than the specified weight are required to be registered. That covers most of the ARF's and foamies now so popular. Definitely all glow, gasoline, diesel as well as most gliders.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:03 AM

And there in lies the problem right?,, our plane are capable of bursting that bubble,, and the Drone a-holes have brought this on us,,, I'm in no way happy or defending the FAA on this, But to do nothing would open the Gov. up to serious liability if/when one of these aholes puts his drone through a GE-90. I believe they can care less about most of us, and will never show up at a field, but to do nothing would be irresponsible also..

Giving them my name and address so they know I'm one of the good guys?? still can't see how that harms me.

laters
The 49 requirement is aircraft intended to fly in navigable airspace. Though they can fly in the navigable airspace they were not built with that intent.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney
If I read the regulations properly, ALL unmanned flying devices flown out doors and weighing more than the specified weight are required to be registered. That covers most of the ARF's and foamies now so popular. Definitely all glow, gasoline, diesel as well as most gliders.
I am not saying that there is no FAA requirement. I am discussing possible future legal arguments that could be used in court so that a judge may decide against the FAA and for the AMA. Please do not confuse the two. I had a prior misunderstanding with others because of similar confusion.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:40 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And there in lies the problem right?,, our plane are capable of bursting that bubble,, and the Drone a-holes have brought this on us,,, I'm in no way happy or defending the FAA on this, But to do nothing would open the Gov. up to serious liability if/when one of these aholes puts his drone through a GE-90. I believe they can care less about most of us, and will never show up at a field, but to do nothing would be irresponsible also..

laters
Are there not current laws on the books for the ahole who puts his aircraft through a GE-90? And what are the chances of this ahole registering or anything being left of his aircraft to identify who it is? I would just prefer the FAA do something that actually makes sense and will actuially help the situation.

I'm not registering. If the FAA wants to drive out to BFE and harrass a responsible flyer following the AMA safety code, then this has nothing to do with safety.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:25 AM

laters

Scale,

Unlike you, some people choose to expand their learning, their abilities and talents. I've been an AMA member (642398) for 15 years. I build scale WWII aircraft to fly and enjoy. Three years ago I decided to try helis, I found I like the challenge they provide. Not wanting to be numb minded, I tried the new thing, all while being an AMA member and flying at an AMA field. Yes, I decided to try MRs and I like the utility of them.

I am a volunteer firefighter and would love to be able to do a scene size up before sending my crew into a burning building. DJI announced they are bringing out a FLIR unit to go on an MR. This technology would not have been available, most likely, if there was no interest in MRs. Yes, we do have thermal imagers, but it requires someone to be in the building. This technology will help us locate victims, through heat differential, and possibly make our access, to these victims, more timely.

I'm not going to call you "NARROW MINDED", so don't call me an a-hole! There will always be stupid people who will push the envelope, and break laws. Unfortunately, we cannot control them and, most likely, neither will the Government be able to. I really hope this requirement will be rolled back. Those that fly responsibly should not be your enemies. I wish you a Merry Christmas, or whatever holiday you celebrate, and a very blessed and Happy New Year!

P.S. I am the safety officer for the "Mavericks" AMA club. It is my responsibility to make sure all of our members fly safely. This is something I take very seriously...and have pissed off a few members for calling unsafe acts to their attention. This is discussed between that person and myself, not the whole club.

Last edited by trex600fbl; 12-22-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

HEY U ARE NOT Registering DRONES It's the PILOT that's is REGISTERED PERIOD...GET IT, GOT IT, GOOD.

And Yes I'm Yelling

That is a flat out lie!
Well, actually, it isn't a lie, but it's also not QUITE correct. It's the owner/operator that's registered.

On my FAA sUAS Certificate of Registration my name sits next to "Certificate holder:" and on the right side of the CoR, I quote: "For U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and certain non-citizen U.S. corporations, this document constitutes a Certificate of Registration. For all others, this document represents a recognition of ownership.

For all holders, for all operations other than as a model aircraft under sec. 336 of Pub. I. 112-95, additional safety authority from FAA and economic authority from DOT may be required.

Safety guidelines for flying your unmanned aircraft:"

...and it goes on with the safety points.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:44 AM

The 49 requirement is aircraft intended to fly in navigable airspace. Though they can fly in the navigable airspace they were not built with that intent.
Can anyone explain what the FAA considers "navigable" airspace?

Really guys, I'd like to know and haven't found it.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by skylark-flier

Well, actually, it isn't a lie, but it's also not QUITE correct. It's the owner/operator that's registered.

On my FAA sUAS Certificate of Registration my name sits next to "Certificate holder:" and on the right side of the CoR, I quote: "For U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and certain non-citizen U.S. corporations, this document constitutes a Certificate of Registration. For all others, this document represents a recognition of ownership.

For all holders, for all operations other than as a model aircraft under sec. 336 of Pub. I. 112-95, additional safety authority from FAA and economic authority from DOT may be required.

Safety guidelines for flying your unmanned aircraft:"

...and it goes on with the safety points.
Well then it is illegal because the UFC says aircraft must be registered, not people.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:07 AM

Look in the definitions of UFC 49 VII. If you don't find it let me know and I will find it by the actual code number,.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:50 AM
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by trex600fbl
Scale,

Unlike you, some people choose to expand their learning, their abilities and talents. I've been an AMA member (642398) for 15 years. I build scale WWII aircraft to fly and enjoy. Three years ago I decided to try helis, I found I like the challenge they provide. Not wanting to be numb minded, I tried the new thing, all while being an AMA member and flying at an AMA field. Yes, I decided to try MRs and I like the utility of them.

I am a volunteer firefighter and would love to be able to do a scene size up before sending my crew into a burning building. DJI announced they are bringing out a FLIR unit to go on an MR. This technology would not have been available, most likely, if there was no interest in MRs. Yes, we do have thermal imagers, but it requires someone to be in the building. This technology will help us locate victims, through heat differential, and possibly make our access, to these victims, more timely.

I'm not going to call you "NARROW MINDED", so don't call me an a-hole! There will always be stupid people who will push the envelope, and break laws. Unfortunately, we cannot control them and, most likely, neither will the Government be able to. I really hope this requirement will be rolled back. Those that fly responsibly should not be your enemies. I wish you a Merry Christmas, or whatever holiday you celebrate, and a very blessed and Happy New Year!

P.S. I am the safety officer for the "Mavericks" AMA club. It is my responsibility to make sure all of our members fly safely. This is something I take very seriously...and have pissed off a few members for calling unsafe acts to their attention. This is discussed between that person and myself, not the whole club.
I do apologize,, I choose my words poorly in that post,,, if you're one of the majority who fly in a responsible way I wasn't talking about you.

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 12-22-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:59 AM

Look here. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/40102
Old 12-22-2015, 11:24 AM

I'm glad you responded back, thank you! I am new to this site and many, IMHO, are blasting the MR community. I would venture to say, at least until December 25th, there are many more AMA members flying these than there are in the general public. I could be way off base on that, I know I've been wrong at least once in my lifetime.I wish some would tone down the rhetoric and place the blame where it truly belongs.

The problem is the idiots that do stupid things. I worked for one of the local hobby stores after retirement. Very few of the sales people tried to educate the public. We had one customer take his 350qx up a half mile and shoot video. He did this from a local park that was no more than 5 miles away from a non tower controlled airport. I, in respectful terms, told him he was an idiot. I'm no longer working there.

This is the consequences of some bad actors, the media's sensationalism, and the Government's knee jerk reaction.

We need to be fighting this and not each other. There will always be stupid people doing stupid things. MRs, like guns and SUVs, do not ( in the hobby world ) kill people. Happy Flying!
Old 12-22-2015, 01:52 PM
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by ira d
At this point altimeters are not required I say unless you want for your own personal info I would not get one, And don't give the clubs any ideas as I don't think clubs should be trying enforce such rules.
I fly HiTec RCD Aurora 9 radio system mainly when I switched from Futaba Cap 9 RCD had the best Telemetry. GPS Altitude Ground speed RPM TEMP and it could be recorded on a lap top and played back aven against Google earth ...neet. I also took one of these Plastic bombs and Outfitted it with several type bomb releases a 7 channel RX A Battery, interface GPS and Pitot and air speed system. With the multipan bomb releases I can attach it to anyone's war bird and record the whole flight and play it back. The next version will have a camera in the Nose no I can play the data back while syncing the video. should be neet. Wish they had different instrument Panels so it looked like a real working cockpit.gets BORING just doing te Pattern. Got to do something other than listening to some goof holler at ya if U forget to call a T.O. or landing.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:55 PM

I'm glad you responded back, thank you! I am new to this site and many, IMHO, are blasting the MR community. I would venture to say, at least until December 25th, there are many more AMA members flying these than there are in the general public. I could be way off base on that, I know I've been wrong at least once in my lifetime.I wish some would tone down the rhetoric and place the blame where it truly belongs.

The problem is the idiots that do stupid things. I worked for one of the local hobby stores after retirement. Very few of the sales people tried to educate the public. We had one customer take his 350qx up a half mile and shoot video. He did this from a local park that was no more than 5 miles away from a non tower controlled airport. I, in respectful terms, told him he was an idiot. I'm no longer working there.

This is the consequences of some bad actors, the media's sensationalism, and the Government's knee jerk reaction.

We need to be fighting this and not each other. There will always be stupid people doing stupid things. MRs, like guns and SUVs, do not ( in the hobby world ) kill people. Happy Flying!

WOW one of the few that realizes the FACTs amaizing ... Good going.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney
The Person or Pilot IF not flown for compensation Must be Registered Under the UAS registration receive a number and put it on/in any R/C thing he flies in the NAS.
Simple FREE and keeps the FEDS happy.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:18 PM

Not free anymore. But also if you register and have a flyaway then the person who finds the model could report you to the FAA who would then fine you for losing control of your aircraft.
Sporty What's your number ?I now a Canadian that has lost 5 planes in 4 weeks all more than a quarter mile and one over a half mile away 2858 feet according to Google Maps. One On the Shoulder of a road 165 feet from a house on the other side of the road.... So He needs a good Number.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We need to be fighting this and not each other. . !
Well said.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:33 PM

Sporty U telling everybody that U don't put Your AMA number or your address name phone no and email in every one of your R/CToys even those that might be under .55 lbs or over 55 lbs. If so Is that just to avoid Prosecution if U loose control? Isn't not having your AMA info in your R/C Toy contrary to the AMA SAFETY CODE? Not Judging JUST asking
Old 12-22-2015, 02:55 PM
My Feedback: (5)

A number of Canadians fly at the field I belong to. What are they supposed to do, not fly?
Old 12-22-2015, 02:59 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I visited the FAA web site. There are "rules" provided near the end of the registration page. One of the "rules" is do not fly over 400 feet. Oh and another is not to fly beyond your line of sight. Well all that sounds good but those have probably violated more times than anyone could count.
So that leads to a "violation of the rules" if someone is reported for doing so. That could lead to a revocation of your FAA number.. aka you are forbidden to fly..
So now we have another way to be controlled by our benevolent government .. ya right.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:53 PM

Thanks - got it.

Next question - item 32 refers to that airspace above minimums. Other than T/O or approach paths, isn't that 1,500 AGL? Why, then, are they so ready to squash us under 400?
Old 12-22-2015, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by BobH
I visited the FAA web site. There are "rules" provided near the end of the registration page. One of the "rules" is do not fly over 400 feet. Oh and another is not to fly beyond your line of sight. Well all that sounds good but those have probably violated more times than anyone could count.
So that leads to a "violation of the rules" if someone is reported for doing so. That could lead to a revocation of your FAA number.. aka you are forbidden to fly..
So now we have another way to be controlled by our benevolent government .. ya right.
Bobby Do U go 75 in a 55 zone or run stop signs TOO?
That can get your License revoked too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.