Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

POLICING has Already Started

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

POLICING has Already Started

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 12:07 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jws_aces
Ok not to changed the subject but if the police comes up to and asked to see you registration and you present your AMA card and number. Show you have your aircraft marked per AMA regulations ...

What happens then....I know the enforcement deadline is not until February 2016
I think you just answered your own question. If you haven't registered you note the deadline to do so, if you have, show them your document. The chances of that happening are extremely remote, even if your not flying at a club field. Like really remote. Now, if you're flying a drone in a school yard during the day while school is in session, that might be a different story.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:12 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HunkaJunk
This is exactly the kind of thing me and many others predicted would happen once the FAA set it's sights on the "drone" industry. Anyone who thought this was going to be a reasonable or common sense set of regulations by a federal bureaucracy has not been paying attention for the last 25+ years.

I'll make another prediction right now that this is only the beginning of the federal governments meddling with respect to model aircraft, not to mention UAVs.
Lets be honest, lots of folks have been predicting the worst of the worst, and then when something even remotely happens of a similar nature they are the first to say see..told ya so. The first "hard" look at this issue was as a result of fixed wing jets being possibly used to carry in explosives, remember the F-4 and F-86? Odd how that's never brought up in the discssion of "drones" ruining hte hobby. The reality is everything within that area was being looked at in terms of being a safety thread...everything and anything that could make it into that area, not just drones. It's pretty disingenuous (and convenient of course) to lay this at the feet of the "drones". The govt has been involved in our hobby for many years, and will continue to be. How the fact that the times and more importantly the technology has changed and is not part of these discussions is amazing. I know it doesn't fit the narrative of "drones bad", but c'mon.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:15 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by phcflyer
All flyers in the 14 AMA clubs within 30 miles of Washington DC have just been notified by the FAA via AMA that we cannot fly anywhere – including our club fields – until further notice.
There were discussions to actually continue that flying as well as open up more areas, but legal action taken by the AMA last week may have put that on hold, and yes, it sucks. I look at it this way, at least they were trying to do something. If they (the AMA) did nothing they would be hammered, and changes are they will be hammered again for moving forward in a more aggressive manner.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:29 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Well, we don't know what the op was flying but I'll assume it was a heli or mr and he has been flying there for 8 years. Did he just buy it on the 22'nd or has he had it for years? Who knows ?
Either way the leo was out of bounds coming up and asking him for his paperwork, again, unless he was breaking a law. Rereading his post it appears he was not.
JR Ninja so he said.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:11 PM
B Shipp
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't believe his story. The police just don't have time for this. The model world may be making a big deal with this, but to most of the world we are just playing with big boy toys.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:18 PM
porcia83
Banned

It took the OP of that story a little while to come clean in the thread, of course he didn't tell the whole story right away, it wouldn't have garnered the attention it did. After being called out by his fellow board members he admitted he was not only flying on school property, he was doing so while school was in session. The LE officer had every right in the world to investigate, and the OP in that story was fully compliant with the questioning because he knew he had no absolute "right" to be doing what he was doing.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:34 PM
TampaRC

Not sure if I believe the OP or not, but as far as I know, cops cannot demand ID unless they have probable cause that you have committed a crime, or will commit a crime. If cops are going to demand the FAA registration AND ID just because you are flying, let the lawsuits begin. Once they have your ID, they will run you in hopes that they can find something to arrest you for. (for dozens and dozens of examples, just visit YouTube...and those are just the ones that were caught on tape) That is absolutely against your constitutional rights, i.e. Nazi Germany.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:38 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I fly on a dry lake bed that is owned both privately and the Department of Natural Resources of the state of California. The portion of the lake that I fly on is privately owned and I have permission to use this property from the owner. The DNR does patrol their portion of the lake and at numerous times I have been reminded by them to stay off their property. I wonder with this new ruling going into effect will they take action if I violate their airspace?
Old 12-26-2015, 01:42 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by TampaRC
Not sure if I believe the OP or not, but as far as I know, cops cannot demand ID unless they have probable cause that you have committed a crime, or will commit a crime. If cops are going to demand the FAA registration AND ID just because you are flying, let the lawsuits begin. Once they have your ID, they will run you in hopes that they can find something to arrest you for. (for dozens and dozens of examples, just visit YouTube...and those are just the ones that were caught on tape) That is absolutely against your constitutional rights, i.e. Nazi Germany.
Geezz...Nazi Germany...really? Wonder if the Nazi's talked about suing at the drop of a hat? The OP invited scrutiny when he flew on school property while school was in session. Act stupid be prepared to get called out on it, and he sure did. Not sure if you've been following the news the past few years with stuff happening at all levels of schools. I know this, if he was up to something bad and our kids were in that school and his "constitutional rights" were infringed on, we'd all be clapping the cop on the back saying Thank you officer, thank you!
Old 12-26-2015, 04:07 PM
Rob2160

All flyers in the 14 AMA clubs within 30 miles of Washington DC have just been notified by the FAA via AMA that we cannot fly anywhere – including our club fields – until further notice.
Would it have something to do with this?

http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/medi...t_advisory.pdf
Old 12-26-2015, 04:45 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The "Enlightened Progressives" keep telling us that our "quality of Life", our "Standard of Living" and our society in general is so much better now than ever before...!
Old 12-26-2015, 06:20 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No mention of altitude in there. Just not being safe.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/law_enforcem...dance_card.pdf

and

https://www.faa.gov/uas/law_enforcem...ement-FAQs.pdf
Old 12-26-2015, 06:36 PM
HunkaJunk

Originally Posted by porcia83
Lets be honest, lots of folks have been predicting the worst of the worst, and then when something even remotely happens of a similar nature they are the first to say see..told ya so. The first "hard" look at this issue was as a result of fixed wing jets being possibly used to carry in explosives, remember the F-4 and F-86? Odd how that's never brought up in the discssion of "drones" ruining hte hobby. The reality is everything within that area was being looked at in terms of being a safety thread...everything and anything that could make it into that area, not just drones. It's pretty disingenuous (and convenient of course) to lay this at the feet of the "drones". The govt has been involved in our hobby for many years, and will continue to be. How the fact that the times and more importantly the technology has changed and is not part of these discussions is amazing. I know it doesn't fit the narrative of "drones bad", but c'mon.
I disagree, It's not model aircraft (as they are legally defined) that are reportedly getting into close calls with full scale aircraft, It's not model aircraft that prevented or delayed slurry bombers in CA, it was not a model aircraft that fell into a sports stadium full of people. These high profile cases were caused by drones (defined as a UAV). I'm sure there has been more than one knucklehead get into trouble with a model aircraft over the years, but now that anyone can walk in and buy a functional UAV, it lit us up like a neon sign.

I suppose my biggest point is that many people were complaining about drones and saying that we needed to stop them, As soon as the FAA even began to look at this, I predicted that they would throw "model aircraft", a legally defined term, into the same class as Unmanned Arial Vehicles (another legally defined term), as far as the registration requirement, they seem to have done exactly that, and I'll stand by my prediction that this is only the beginning.

Last edited by HunkaJunk; 12-26-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:03 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HunkaJunk
I disagree, It's not model aircraft (as they are legally defined) that are reportedly getting into close calls with full scale aircraft, It's not model aircraft that prevented or delayed slurry bombers in CA, it was not a model aircraft that fell into a sports stadium full of people. These high profile cases were caused by drones (defined as a UAV). I'm sure there has been more than one knucklehead get into trouble with a model aircraft over the years, but now that anyone can walk in and buy a functional UAV, it lit us up like a neon sign.

I suppose my biggest point is that many people were complaining about drones and saying that we needed to stop them, As soon as the FAA even began to look at this, I predicted that they would throw "model aircraft", a legally defined term, into the same class as Unmanned Arial Vehicles (another legally defined term), as far as the registration requirement, they seem to have done exactly that, and I'll stand by my prediction that this is only the beginning.
Hi Hunka,
Without a doubt the technology has forced the issue to a head right now. I've posted videos in the past of fixed wing aircraft in excess of 9,000 feet which didn't seem to garner much concern now or then, in part because of apathy, or because it was a foamy, who knows. I've always thought that was as much a risk as a DJI at 1000 feet. The media has eaten up the Drone hype, lets face it they can be both amazing and amazingly dangerous at the same time, so it make for great copy for them to exploit.

Speaking of things getting lumped into one category, I think it's unfair for those that advocate for the "banning" or lack of recognition on behalf of AMA I guess, that multi rotors and drones are seen as one in the same. They absolutely can be distinct and different.

Anyway, I may be a sheeple, or a enlightened progressive, or just naive but I hope that your prediction is wrong. Not as a persona attack on your opinion, rather as hope that this is it. I can't say that I would be shocked to see more involvement later on, this technology continues to expand exponentially. Just as social media issues gripped school administrators when dealing with bullying, or any other advance in technology, sometimes it takes a while for laws/rules to catch up. I'm not sure the govt has the time, nor the ability to be as nuanced as we would have liked them to have been with us. At this point the registration is where we at, hopefully that's it.

Happy Holidays, what's left of 'em!
Hi Hu
Old 12-26-2015, 08:43 PM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Well,, I guess all the people who argue that "They can't do that" are WRONG... hahahaha.. its gonna get worse guys...mark my words.. just because you aint seen it yet, don't mean it aint gonna happen... There are a ton of idiots who fly these, that are getting them in harms way,,, when you do that.. the government makes laws...That's the way it is.. Is the sky falling???..........I think so... to about 400ft. Whats next...200?? How many of us are gonna follow the law then??... I love to take pics at 800 to a 1000ft... its fun...BUT,,,,,,,,,,,, I dont fly into fires where aircraft is try'n to put out the fire.... but the idiots who have, have screwed it up for the rest of us....JUST LIKE gun control.... hate to bring it up,,,but damnit,,,,,how many laws are on the books about that?....holy hell!!... Is the sky falling,,, YUP...
Old 12-27-2015, 03:58 AM
HunkaJunk

Originally Posted by porcia83
Hi Hunka,
Without a doubt the technology has forced the issue to a head right now. I've posted videos in the past of fixed wing aircraft in excess of 9,000 feet which didn't seem to garner much concern now or then, in part because of apathy, or because it was a foamy, who knows. I've always thought that was as much a risk as a DJI at 1000 feet. The media has eaten up the Drone hype, lets face it they can be both amazing and amazingly dangerous at the same time, so it make for great copy for them to exploit.

Speaking of things getting lumped into one category, I think it's unfair for those that advocate for the "banning" or lack of recognition on behalf of AMA I guess, that multi rotors and drones are seen as one in the same. They absolutely can be distinct and different.

Anyway, I may be a sheeple, or a enlightened progressive, or just naive but I hope that your prediction is wrong. Not as a persona attack on your opinion, rather as hope that this is it. I can't say that I would be shocked to see more involvement later on, this technology continues to expand exponentially. Just as social media issues gripped school administrators when dealing with bullying, or any other advance in technology, sometimes it takes a while for laws/rules to catch up. I'm not sure the govt has the time, nor the ability to be as nuanced as we would have liked them to have been with us. At this point the registration is where we at, hopefully that's it.

Happy Holidays, what's left of 'em!
Hi Hu
That's part of my point, just because it was a fixed wing aircraft does not mean it was legally defined as a model aircraft, for to be flown at 9,000 feet, it would have almost certainly had video TX capabilities allowing it to be flown well out of the line of sight view of the operator, which makes it a UAV, fixed wig or not.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:40 AM
vandis

Perhaps the officer thought you were flying a full-sized aircraft. If the FAA is behind all this nonsense, then they'll assume their rules are in force. That is, if you fly full-size aircraft and have a pilot's license, then you may be stopped for a "ramp check" at any time or place and you MUST provide any law enforcement officer identification information and any other thing he may ask for.

You folks are correct that this is not going to get better any time soon if the FAA thinks it can get away with this.

And one other thing that's been gnawing at me. Let's suppose you're an idiot, but a law abiding one. You've done your registration and glued the number on you 6 rotor drone. You now fly the thing into the path of a modest-sized jet airliner and the drone gets sucked up into one of the engines, shreds the engine innards, and your drone and the engine works get spit out and flutter to the ground. What are the chances that anybody is going to be able to find that little piece of label material with your number on it and identify you as the culprit?
Old 12-27-2015, 07:26 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Thanks and I can see your view. I am sure we will see this tested in due course.

If I was driving on the highway with no registration plates on the car would that give the leo a valid reason to pull me over and ask for my licence?

They might use the same reasoning after 19th Feb if the registration number is not clearly visible on an aircraft.
An expired sticker? Of course they can pull you over and then ask for ID, etc,,. They cannot pull you over and simply ask for your license and registration unless you broke some law. . Those here commenting "enough with the constitution", "you will go to jail", etc.. , well, study more on it. Who do you know who has gone to jail for politely standing up for their rights? None that I know.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:37 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Well again,, yes and no,, DUI check points pull you over for no reason,, and have been ruled constitutional as long as they stop everyone who comes by and don't "select" those to pull over,, so as long as the police check everyone,, yes they can stop you without cause.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:47 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

I have read a few posts here from some stressing their rights, some are way off track.........

There is an old saying, "Someone acting as his own Attorney has a FOOL for a client", some of the posts show that mentality. As an Officer(long retired) I have had folks display what they thought was their rights and act as OBAMA put it "Stupidly".
thus earning the right to visit the judge (who told them they acted stupidly) . Had they been decent they would gotten off a with minor warning as usually the infraction was really minor and not worth a lot of time.

I found it refreshing when a violator admitted they were at fault and were decent. An officer usually will cut someone like that a break.........
Old 12-27-2015, 08:02 AM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Well again,, yes and no,, DUI check points pull you over for no reason,, and have been ruled constitutional as long as they stop everyone who comes by and don't "select" those to pull over,, so as long as the police check everyone,, yes they can stop you without cause.
Thanks to one judge on the supreme court he gave law enforcement probable cause. You are now assumed guilty until proven innocent But you still have rights at these stops ....if you want to use them. I don't think anyone should drive, fly or fly rc while under the influence. If someone is flying rc with a beer helmet on or a joint stuck in their mouth then by all means tell them to land ,test and/or arrest them but don't come up to someone and ask for their papers if they are not breaking a law.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:11 AM
porcia83
Banned

Brilliant. So if someone is flying a 700 size heli in a grade school playground while school is in session, they should feel free to exercise their Constitutional freedoms eh? Better yet they pull into a mall parking lot and throw the DJI up for some great views, hey, they got rights! More internet lawyering without reality or common sense. Ya, I love all those videos online of people looking for conflict with LE, wanting to "test" them. Most end up ranting like lunatics as they are cuffed and put into the back of a cruiser and driven away. Sure, some might end with up no charges, or the charges are dropped to a lower level, but hey....they got to show everyone about their "rights". All the keyboard Johnny Chochrans are going to pucker right up and be the first to say yes sir, here's my papers sir, have a nice day sir.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:17 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
I have read a few posts here from some stressing their rights, some are way off track.........

There is an old saying, "Someone acting as his own Attorney has a FOOL for a client", some of the posts show that mentality. As an Officer(long retired) I have had folks display what they thought was their rights and act as OBAMA put it "Stupidly".
thus earning the right to visit the judge (who told them they acted stupidly) . Had they been decent they would gotten off a with minor warning as usually the infraction was really minor and not worth a lot of time.

I found it refreshing when a violator admitted they were at fault and were decent. An officer usually will cut someone like that a break.........
+1. The response you'll get from one person in general is that those people who were "decent"...are nothing but "sheeple". They need to stand up for their "rights", and when they don't, well, they are sheeple. If only they new the legal strings to pull like the other guy knew. So silly, so naive. These are the same yahoos who walk around in open carry states with assualt rifles strapped to their backs and try to go into schools and stores and buildings and wonder why they are "persecuted" when stopped and questioned. They have "rights"! The reality is more people who are stopped and questioned are doing something that gives LE a reason to stop and question them. LE officers are trained to spot things that the average person is not aware of, and many times they correct in their instinct. Yes of course there are some cops who abuse this, or go over the line, in that case there are remedies available to the public.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:36 AM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU

Sure there are people who act "stupidly" and pay the price ,and rightfully so. There are also people who stand up for their rights in a respectable manner and go on their merry way.
I'm sure you are aware of leo's pushing the boundaries of citizen's rights and if the public just go along with it then good for the leo and more money for the municipality/state.
Know what your rights are and stand up for them ....if you want.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:45 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Thanks to one judge on the supreme court he gave law enforcement probable cause. You are now assumed guilty until proven innocent But you still have rights at these stops ....if you want to use them. I don't think anyone should drive, fly or fly rc while under the influence. If someone is flying rc with a beer helmet on or a joint stuck in their mouth then by all means tell them to land ,test and/or arrest them but don't come up to someone and ask for their papers if they are not breaking a law.
One judge overruled the other six?? didn't think that was how the court worked

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.