Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

POLICING has Already Started

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

POLICING has Already Started

Old 12-28-2015, 08:38 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have read a lot of the Chicken Little stories. I found them amusing at best, made my head hurt at worst. In the time this thread has been running, I have built (2) D, E sized rockets, swapped over Rx's, setup 6 flight modes for me 450 quad copter, cycled 30 or so lipos, repaired my SC10.2 short course truck, had a few med issues resolved, talked to my (2) brother in laws, retired LEO's, sent many emails to the local, state and Fed reps, sent actual written letters to local and state reps about this issue and a bunch more. You can get more accomplished by doing something then by sitting here and typing away complaining about an issue.

Both bother in laws sort of laughed at all of this. They think it will be a non issue, UNTIL they catch you doing something stupid and it will be another charge to add to the list is all. They have asked LEO's they know who are still working and pretty much were told yeah, we will get right on it. They have better things to do then chase down every R/C aircraft they see or hear about.

If it does get to be a lot of horse hockey, I will go back to free flight and U/C models and smile.

Now if I programmed a 6 axis control board with GPS points, sent it free flight with no control from me, would that need to be registered?

Buzz.

P.S. added a layer of foil to my hat.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:44 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by psgugrad
Your assertion that it unconstitutional for a law enforcement officer to ask for your ID unless you're breaking the law is 100% false. Police officers have full legal authority to request your ID under many circumstances. For example, your appearance might fit the description of a wanted fugitive and the officer may need to verify who you are. There are other instances where you might not be breaking the law but the cop has legal authority to request your ID.

Whatever the circumstances, you are legally required to comply and the cop is not legally obligated to explain to you why he is requesting your ID. Out of politeness, he SHOULD (circumstances allowing) explain to you why he wants to see your ID if you (politely) challenge the request...however he is not required to do so.

I'm not a cop, but I do have law enforcement members in my family who I care about and I hate to see people spreading misinformation on this topic.
It seems many of the posters here think that it is unlawful for a cop to stop you and ask for ID without probable cause. I don't know what the laws are in the US, but I would think very similar to Australia?

Here a cop cannot by law, stop you and question/ask for ID unless they have reason to believe you have, or are about to commit a crime. Of course there are exemptions such as random breathyliser and vehicle checks etc. Many people, (cops included), are under the impression that the "badge", gives them the right to do so. Saying "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about", even though it is mostly true, is just a cop out, (no pun intended).

We all do have rights and they are slowly being eroded away by misinformation and scare tactics. Which unfortunately, most people fall for.

Just sayin'.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:55 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard

If it does get to be a lot of horse hockey, I will go back to free flight and U/C models and smile. .
Best make it free-flight. U/C (tethered models) are included in the drone category.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:07 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

And really a FREE FLIGHT plane may be the most dangerous of all types of models!!!
Old 12-29-2015, 12:43 PM
Mickydee1354

Hi drac1,

A private person in a public place can strike up a conversation and ask you questions. A police officer can do the same. It's called a consensual encounter and you have the right to either speak with the officer, or to decide not to do so just like you have the right to choose to whether or not to speak with a private person. Nothing says the officer can't ask to see your identification or ask you questions. However, during a consensual encounter, you are not obligated to provide identification or answer those questions.

There are many reasons for a police officer to strike up a conversation with a member of the public. However, if the officer wishes to detain a person, that is when they must have reasonable suspicion to believe the person is involved with criminal activity. Most vehicle stops and pedestrian stops are detentions and require reasonable suspicion. However, it does not usually take much for a good police officer to develop reasonable suspicion to stop someone. If you are not sure if you are being detained or not, simply ask. Be civil about it and there should be no issues. Remember, the police are just trying to do their jobs. They should be professional and courteous, (in the absence of extenuating circumstances) and mutual respect and cooperation will go along way toward a positive result.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:49 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mickydee1354
Hi drac1,

A private person in a public place can strike up a conversation and ask you questions. A police officer can do the same. It's called a consensual encounter and you have the right to either speak with the officer, or to decide not to do so just like you have the right to choose to whether or not to speak with a private person. Nothing says the officer can't ask to see your identification or ask you questions. However, during a consensual encounter, you are not obligated to provide identification or answer those questions.

There are many reasons for a police officer to strike up a conversation with a member of the public. However, if the officer wishes to detain a person, that is when they must have reasonable suspicion to believe the person is involved with criminal activity. Most vehicle stops and pedestrian stops are detentions and require reasonable suspicion. However, it does not usually take much for a good police officer to develop reasonable suspicion to stop someone. If you are not sure if you are being detained or not, simply ask. Be civil about it and there should be no issues. Remember, the police are just trying to do their jobs. They should be professional and courteous, (in the absence of extenuating circumstances) and mutual respect and cooperation will go along way toward a positive result.
Well said!
Old 12-29-2015, 02:18 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by Mickydee1354
Hi drac1,

Hi Mickydee,

Agreed. But a consensual encounter is different than being stopped specifically to be asked for ID etc. and being expected to provide that ID. with no reason.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:59 AM
jonesg

Suspicion of being a suspicious person is not probable cause. No PC no ID.
You can be greatly inconvenienced for standing your ground but there are numerous instances on youtube where people have been awarded a lot of money for these exact abuses by police.
Rights are like muscles, exercise them or they wither away.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:49 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

As a veteran LE Officer I often engaged folks in conversations while on duty, doing so in a friendly respectful manner. Many times it was to see if all was well, perhaps something they should be aware of, etc.. At times
some folks may try to mislead me, outright lie, etc., thus Probable cause to go to the next step. That is part of LE.

As pertaining to Model Aircraft, nearly all Officers have more to do than harass folks having fun with their model aircraft and often the Officer is just interested in seeing the thing fly!

I see many posts here from folks giving free legal advice, most poor "they have no right", etc. THAT ADVICE IS WORTH ABOUT AS MUCH AS IT COSTS YOU TO POST HERE!!! Nice will get you a long way with LE.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:19 AM
jonesg

I get legal advice from my lawyer, not the police.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:54 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by jonesg
I get legal advice from my lawyer, not the police.
Good example of a bad attitude!
Old 01-14-2016, 01:25 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
Good example of a bad attitude!
Not at all. Just because they are cops, doesn't mean they know the correct legal advice to give. They may try to make you think they do though.

Even with lawyers you need to do your own home work, as two different lawyers may at times give different advice.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:37 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

jonesg

If only everyone were as smart as you.........but I guess you have so much money whats a few thousand for legal fees here and there