Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

I want a BUILDERS magazine!

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

I want a BUILDERS magazine!

Old 01-31-2016, 08:55 AM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want a BUILDERS magazine!

I am NOT trying to make this a scratch builders are better than ARF's assemblers thing..........

I received my latest version of MAN, and there are 4 reviews in there for foamies, 2 wood ARF's, and one sad little build article in buried on page 92 of a 98 page magazine with 6 pathetic pictures of a .40 size plane called the "Pharaoh". Nothing against the plane, but COME ON!

I get it, foamies and ARF's are all the rage, but why can there be ONE magazine that is dedicated to people who build? It may not be MAN, but why do we need so many magazines that are nothing but foamies and drones while builders get shoved to page 92?

I will not be renewing my subscription, one of the other 1/2 dozen magazines I get can cover all that stuff.

Personally I am not a fan of "Foamies" (nor do I have a problem with those who are), and I do own ARF's, but this hobby has more aspects to it than for me, I would at least like the option of some variety.

Am I asking too much, for ONE magazine to dedicate itself to building?

Dave
Old 01-31-2016, 02:29 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Its pretty tough for a printed mag to stay in biz these days ya know. I'm not saying your asking for too much, but it stands to reason that a mag needs advertisers and sponsorship, as well as subscribers to stay alive. We've seen the likes of Radio Control Modeler go down, as well as a few others.. Model Builder is another that's no longer around....

Magazine's/publishing has got to be a tough business these days, when there's sites just like this one(this one included) that have near a million users with not near the overhead, and/or equipment needed to produce printed media. I can also venture a guess, there's more written about different aspects of the hobby EVERY day then most printed magazines put out in a year. True the articles aren't written by "reporters", or professional writers, but I've found many builders that are very good writers, and you/we can interact with right within these sites. You can't get that with a printed magazine. I've found reviews in current magazines very biased in favor of certain products and such, and its so obvious a writer/reviewer can't give a good review, as if they give to many "not good" reviews, nobody will want to advertise, and/or have any reviews/builds done.

I'm just throwing this out really for conversation, and how I've perceived changes in the publishing/media industry when it comes to our hobby. I for one would chomp at the bit for the new RCM to hit the store shelves, and I knew exactly when every month, so I'd go grocery shopping for my wife just to get a new RCM(she caught on to it of course)...

What I've done for the last several years is subscribe to build threads on a few or more of our favorite forums, and I've been able to follow and study, and learn from some of the best in the hobby. Not only that, I get to interact, ask questions, share ideas, etc... I guess I've considered these sites(this one and a few more).. not only online clubs, but a resource that wasn't available to many of us 20yrs ago.. So it doesn't surprise me that mags specific to building have gone away....not to mention I've seen magazines for $6.99!!! .... thing is with that, they have to get the money to produce them, so upping the price is just a part of that. I remember when a big, thick, shiny, new issue of RCM was $2.95, and it was loaded with ads, info, and resources.. those days are pretty much gone though... and when I think about it, RCM even changed in its later years... as in the 70's there was builds/info/etc.. in every issue(which is why I have 15yrs of them in my closet LOL).. but.. yeah...to answer the question... Its not too much to ask for a builders mag, but it might be too much to expect. Have a good one.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:58 PM
ovationdave

Yeah, I got ya. I was just kind of "throwing it out" for conversation as well. I was thinking the same thing of the build threads, they are an excellent resource and I have subscribed to many as well. I just seems to me, that there is a TON of redundancy in our current magazine offerings, and now, we have to share our mags with the multi-rotor crowd, and the stuff that I care about is being pushed off the pages into oblivion, and its frustrating. I may be one of a dying breed that cares at all, but I would sure like to see one, just one, magazine that would put some real effort into the building portion of this hobby again. Thanks for your thoughts though, it may never happen, but I needed to vent after seeing that last issue that just had, in my opinion, way too much foam!

Dave
Old 02-01-2016, 04:11 AM
TomCrump

"What I've done for the last several years is subscribe to build threads on a few or more of our favorite forums, and I've been able to follow and study, and learn from some of the best in the hobby. Not only that, I get to interact, ask questions, share ideas, etc"

I read about RC forums in the magazines. Once I started visiting them, magazines lost their appeal.

As you stated, one can learn from the best in the hobby, and have interaction with these same builders. Most will freely share their "secrets" as the genuinely desire to help.

I know that these forums have inspired me to tackle projects that I had only dreamed about, previously.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:16 AM
TFF

The best thing to do is start collecting old magazines. I have mine from the late 70s-80s. So much better than anything else.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:29 AM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Tom has excellent advise

I threw away magazines dating from 1979 thru 2008 and SORRY I did so. I have several 1967 and 1968 issues of the late great R.C.M. radio control Modeler and I'm keeping them.

You are certainly right not much building information available in any of today's R/C magazines,so again I would strongly suggest you consider Tom's advisement..

Last edited by ramcfarland; 02-01-2016 at 11:30 AM. Reason: as usral spelling LOL
Old 02-01-2016, 01:21 PM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Originally Posted by ovationdave View Post
I am NOT trying to make this a scratch builders are better than ARF's assemblers thing..........

I received my latest version of MAN, and there are 4 reviews in there for foamies, 2 wood ARF's, and one sad little build article in buried on page 92 of a 98 page magazine with 6 pathetic pictures of a .40 size plane called the "Pharaoh". Nothing against the plane, but COME ON!

I get it, foamies and ARF's are all the rage, but why can there be ONE magazine that is dedicated to people who build? It may not be MAN, but why do we need so many magazines that are nothing but foamies and drones while builders get shoved to page 92?

I will not be renewing my subscription, one of the other 1/2 dozen magazines I get can cover all that stuff.

Personally I am not a fan of "Foamies" (nor do I have a problem with those who are), and I do own ARF's, but this hobby has more aspects to it than for me, I would at least like the option of some variety.

Am I asking too much, for ONE magazine to dedicate itself to building?

Dave
Try RCM&E. from Britain...

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/

You can pick up issues at Barnes & Noble bookstores
Old 02-02-2016, 05:33 PM
ovationdave

Thanks for the input and tips guys. Hemi I was looking at those mags before, subscriptions are pricey, but I will have to look @ B&N.....

Dave
Old 02-03-2016, 07:36 AM
em14

I've subscript to RCM&E for several years now and presently it's my only subscription. It is a larger than other RC mags that I know about. I think that you would find lots of "Model building" and each month a free full size plan!
Leo
Old 02-03-2016, 07:47 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Drawing plans and writing construction articles is very expensive for mags. I too would like to see construction articles and more new plans available. But, alas, I'm not sure it is any longer in the cards.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:11 AM
carlgrover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you need are old copies of "RC Report". That was a great builders magazine. I have many years worth of them and still refer to them occasionally. It started out as a newspaper format, then went to a magazine format. When it was shut down, someone tried to keep it going as an electronic only thing. I don't know what happened to it or how long it lasted in that format but back in the day you couldn't beat it.

Carl
Old 02-03-2016, 10:17 AM
TomCrump

I know what happened, and it wasn't pretty..
Old 02-09-2016, 11:47 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Tell me Tom...I was sort of 'removed' from that mag when it went south....
Old 02-09-2016, 11:49 AM
tailskid

As far as a 'builder's Mag"....it isn't going to happen in the near future because there aren't many builders who are willing to write...and believe me it isn't as easy as you think!
Old 02-09-2016, 02:43 PM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by tailskid View Post
Tell me Tom...I was sort of 'removed' from that mag when it went south....

I believe that a few people were not paid. If you missed out on that, you were lucky.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:55 PM
tailskid

But I made up for it from RCM to the tune of over 5K.....OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2016, 02:58 PM
TomCrump

And they wonder why people don't want to write for modeling magazines.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:14 AM
jester_s1

It's quite simple. The mainstream of the hobby has moved to factory produced planes, and hobbyists spend their time flying instead of building. There are probably 20 ARF or RTF planes for every kit built plane in existence now, and I'd wager 100 ARF or RTF planes for every plans built and scratch built plane. So what you are asking is for a magazine to dedicate itself to maybe 1/20th of an already small group of potential subscribers (RC pilots in general). It just doesn't make business sense to do that. We get recurring columns featuring builds and building techniques, but if you want dedicated content for that websites are probably your best bet.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:55 AM
ovationdave

My only point was that we have lots of magazines with LOTS of redundancy and overlap. It would be nice if one of them could still have decent build articles. I know the reality of having one dedicated is nil, but it would be nice if one took building seriously, thats all.........

Dave
Old 02-11-2016, 01:01 PM
tailskid

me too!
Old 02-11-2016, 08:37 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Really guys, you're looking for the Earth and you're standing on it.
Forums like RCU have gobs of threads for building and designing. Almost real time. Two-way communication.
I don't mean to belittle the old mags (I have a stack of them,too.), but how can you beat what we have here?
Old 02-11-2016, 09:40 PM
tailskid

I think "Fly R/C" has some building articles.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:50 AM
JMCHASE

Dave, have you considered any of the UK magazines. They spend more resources on build, i subscribe to Quiet and Electric flight international lots of good articles on build not as much foamies abd not as much on drones as the US magazines they are of course in English. Also check out Australia magazines. I dont buy them to purchase items but to read and lern from build articles.....if you have trouble finding them just use google uk
Old 02-13-2016, 08:50 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Everyone;

Happy Valentines' Day greetings to you all from the very warm Valley of the Sun.

I do sympathize with ov-dave re the lack of good Builder's Magazines. There are a couple of Foreign Mags with good articles available at the newsstands, but the cost of these mags....approaching $10 per copy is a bit much. I totally agree with TFF way above: start scouring LHS for old back issues of Model mags, donated by fellow modellers, like RCM. MB, FM, MAN, AM/MAs etc, you can usually purchase them quite inexpensively, and in the old days, well pre Y2K/pre 100% ARFing/RTFing, there were literally 100s of great construction articles.

Fortunately in my case, I have not thrown out or donated my old mags, buying my first MANs/FMs/AMs in the late 50s and kept all of them. I grew up in rural, a way out in the boonies, Canada, and treasured these mags, reading and re-reading them cover to cover, even the page numbers, and set a goal, which I kept: to have and save all the named mags from January 1960>date, this I did. I have every single issue of RCM and MB ever printed, + I collected in LHS/eBay a whole bunch from the entire 50s decade, and have most filed in plastic sleeves and stored in 3 ring binders. And Yes, it has grown into quite a sizable collection, but I luv it, and am constantly referring to it to do research on various topics/designs etc., I could not imagine my life without these mags of old with the great model designs by the great designer modelers, oh man; you know, there really are not much in new building techniques or designs, as we all kind of rehash old designs and ideas and reuse and sort of re-invent stuff. Sadly, a lot of old products have come and gone , that I miss, like Hobby Poxy, K&B Epoyy finishes, RS paints, Ambroid cement for example, but then we have the wonderful CA glues now.

ANyways, short story long, I am glad I kept and held on to my old mags. I never expected that most would die, and be replaced with ARF/RTF user reporting.....YUK!, so 0v-dave, start searching for old mags in LHS and eBay, I think you will enjoy the results. Just one old time/life-long model airplane builder, whose been happily destroying balsa for over 65 yrs now, with no end in sight, best regards from Glendale, Arizona,

Joe Nagy.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:12 AM
rcmiket

If you into the scale side of the hobby check this out.

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/

Mike