Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Milwaukee area shops.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 02:58 PM
ron ward

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milwaukee area shops.

there's very little to be had where I live,...."hobby shops" around me carry stuff like video games, Dungeons and Dragons figures and dice t-shirts and a bit of r/c car stuff . I frequent the Milwaukee area often enough that it would be reasonable to get stuff there, assuming there are better shops in the Milwaukee area. I grew up in Milwaukee and worked as a teenager at Hobby Horse, but all of the shops that were around 40 years ago are long gone. are there any decent r/c shops left in the Milwaukee and surrounding area?.
I've been to Hobby Lobby on HWY 100 & National (?), but I wasn't impressed, all they had was mostly ARF, RTF stuff.
i'm interested in shops like Garmans in West Allis and Hobby Horse, if anyone remembers them ...real "hobby shops".....but are now long gone.
thanks.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:31 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I know nothing about Milwaukee , but in the major metropolitan area where I live you'll not find any "old time" hobby shops either , cause that's not where the hobby is right now . ARFs outsell kits by such a margin that my LHS generally have no kits on hand but can order any that are presently still on the market for the few who ask for them . Same with the electric VS glow , all 5 of the shops near me have far more electric flying equipment on hand than glow , cause again , it's what sells . Kits are still to be found , three view plans and sheet balsa are still around too . it's just that now you have to order them on line , due to their "niche market" status , and you will likely never find each and every item needed to scratch build something at your LHS ever again .
Old 03-30-2016, 07:07 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I feel your pain Ron and sorry I have no direct answer for you either. Unfortunately the type of LHS you are searching for are rapidly disappearing and almost extinct. The victim of not only the internet but also loss of interest in aviation. What stores are left will possibly be just "Drone" stores with "Quad Copters " even pushing RC cars aside to some extent.

Since I am in the western region I am only aware of possibly two stores like you seek in the entire Los Angeles area.

However It might make you feel better to know that your post stirred some memories up at the mention of Hobby Horse! I purchased several of my first 'computer radios' from them clear across country the old fashioned way, Mail Order

John