Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Damaged tune pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 09:43 PM
jimboq8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged tune pipes

Hello everyone.

I cant see the topic when I search so I am sorry if this is either in the wrong place or has been asked about before.
I am currently building a 170cc pau with a Dle 170, I have tune pipes for this engine but they have sustained some damage from the last plane they were in.
the question is how badly will this affect the performance?

Cheers.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:20 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Hello,

I am not sure how the damage will effect the performance of your tuned pipes, but I have removed major dents from my tuned pipes in the past.. I taped shut one end of my pipe, and filled the pipe with water put it in the freezer, and the expansion of the ice will press out the larger dents.. I froze and thawed mine about 3 times, and the thing looked nearly perfect.. One bit of warning tho, when you get it fairly close to dent free, STOP!!! I very nearly popped out the side of one of my pipes by trying to get it too dent free..

Craig!
Old 04-25-2016, 10:27 PM
jimboq8

Hey sea jay.

Yeah ive done that before on smaller pipes but these bad boys are 3 foot long And it's a double wall. I don't have a freezer big enough to do it.
The reason I ask is because I know that the shape and capacity of the pipes sets the tuning if this is altered in any way does it affect the engine, and to what degree ?