Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Say a Prayer for the Canadians !

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Say a Prayer for the Canadians !

Old 05-07-2016, 10:00 AM
init4fun

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Say a Prayer for the Canadians !

The news just said the wildfire in Canada is larger than the five boroughs of New York , land area wise , and shows no signs of being controllable anytime soon due to high winds .

The people of Canada have my prayers for a lot of rain and a lot less wind , and my sympathies for all they've already lost .....
Old 05-07-2016, 07:04 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine too, bush fires are a terrible thing.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:26 AM
mogman

Thank you for your thoughts.

At last count over 1600 homes are gone, 80,000 + people evacuated. People have lost everything. The fire is now too big to be contained (150,000 hectares and growing) and will take a lot of heavy prolonged rain to slow it down. The word is that it was human caused.

Next door in B.C. there are over 50 wildfires burning, a lot for this early in the season. It's going to be a bad year for forest fires.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:43 AM
init4fun

Hi Mogman ,

I saw it on the news and I was SO sad for all the loss that I figured I'd post here , since I knew at least a few Canadians post here . Wildfires are one of the scariest natural disasters to me , heck hurricanes and earthquakes don't last days , weeks , and sometimes months like fires do . I gained a first eye view of wildfire destruction in Greece one year , it seemed every bit of woods was burning , and I really do hope things improve for you folks soon .

PS , I also hope my country is sending help in the form of firefighting equipment and manpower , seeing how we help all over the world with earthquakes & floods & such it would seem the right gesture to offer help to our next door neighbors . I mention this , only because I haven't yet seen it mentioned on the news that we are sending help .....
Old 05-08-2016, 12:46 PM
mogman

Listening to the news, they figure that this fire could burn for months!

The rest of Canada is sending help in the form of firefighters, but in B.C. we have our hands full with all our own fires.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:06 PM
RC Pilot 007

god bless
Old 05-10-2016, 02:05 PM
init4fun

This fire has dropped off of the radar as far as my TV news reporting goes , has anyone heard anything , hopefully positive ?
Old 05-10-2016, 06:03 PM
RC Pilot 007

see cnn.com
Old 05-11-2016, 03:55 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Things aren't looking up anytime soon. Hopefully the damage is contained to the woods only, not structures and people. Some pretty amazing images here:

http://gizmodo.com/satellite-images-...a-s-1775764345

The only remotely positive thing is that native vegetation and forest growth seems to fiercely rebound sometimes after fires.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:03 AM
mogman

Fire now at 350,000 hectares and growing. Fire has swung to the north and has destroyed an oil field work camp and is headed toward the oil fields.
There will be no stopping this for a long time.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:28 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by mogman View Post
Fire now at 350,000 hectares and growing. Fire has swung to the north and has destroyed an oil field work camp and is headed toward the oil fields.
There will be no stopping this for a long time.
I am very sorry to hear this , and you all have my prayers for getting some kind of a handle on this thing . The news here did mention recently that the oil fields are in danger of burning and were blaming the same winds that are fanning the California fires and making them difficult to fight as well .

Be well , and I do appreciate your updates .