Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Is an ICD (defibrillator/pacemaker) harmed by RF from our 2.7 GHz transmitters?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Is an ICD (defibrillator/pacemaker) harmed by RF from our 2.7 GHz transmitters?

Old 07-07-2016, 08:53 AM
krashkart
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is an ICD (defibrillator/pacemaker) harmed by RF from our 2.7 GHz transmitters?

This year I had to have a 3 way bypass done on my heart and last week they installed an ICD.
The book seems to imply that the transmitters we use for RC may be a problem for the ICD.
Who has any experience with this?
Old 07-07-2016, 09:04 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

My guess is that while we all sympathize for your dilemma, if we would give you medical advice that you then followed and later had an unfortunate medical event, we could feel somewhat responsible for that event. You are asking a question of a potentially very serious nature. Maybe someone out there has enough experience with this or feels confident enough to respond, but if you get no responses, it may not be because we are ignoring you but because we do not feel qualified to give advice of such a serious nature. I too am having some heart problems and understand some of what you are going through and hope it all works out for you in a very positive way.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:12 AM
krashkart

The only thing that I have seen so far recommends a buddy box.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:13 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

What jolly said above.....

Would going to 72mhz make a difference? There are a few guys at my club with ICD's and they fly both 2.4 and 72, none have ever noted any issues.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:38 AM
krashkart

I don't think the freqs would matter in that range.
I am going to have to send St. Jude, the makers of the device, an email I guess and give them output of the transmitter and frequency.
Better to error on the side of caution here I guess.
I just knew that as many of "us" are older that I figured there would be people here with recent previous experience.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:05 PM
All Day Dan

krash, all the guys at my field take their transmitters to their doctor's office and get tested when it is on. Dan.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:16 PM
krashkart

Originally Posted by All Day Dan View Post
krash, all the guys at my field take their transmitters to their doctor's office and get tested when it is on. Dan.
Interesting. What are they doing, monitoring the ICD while they play with the transmitter to see what effect it could have?
Hell of an idea though. In fact, with my box communicator that sends messages to the doctor's team that monitor me via cell I wonder if I could just play around with the transmitter here and let them see the "live" difference?

I have not flown in some time due to the problems with the heart and would like to get back into some things I did before.
I have also been advised to give up ham radio due to the higher power levels.

Last edited by krashkart; 07-07-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:06 PM
dingo9882

I work in healthcare and I will say this.....You must speak with your Cardiologist. None of us here have any idea what kind of pacemaker or defibrillator you may have. I cannot stress this enough. We just found out several weeks ago that certain CT's can actually affect certain kinds of pacemakers due to the amount of radiation involved. This includes some insulin pumps as well. This is not something to take lightly and I must advise you from taking advise from anybody on these forums that is not a provider. The answer may be obvious when you speak with your doctor...but everybody is different...do not take a chance on this.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:53 AM
All Day Dan

Right on dingo. Dan.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:08 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

When I started reading the OP's question I was going to give much of the same advise others had already given after reading down. All of you guys are really good, I am impressed!