Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Time Travel Story With R/C Model Plane

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Time Travel Story With R/C Model Plane

Old 10-16-2016, 07:18 PM
averagebear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time Travel Story With R/C Model Plane

About 45 years ago, in the late 1960s, one of the mainstream American model aviation magazines
published a short fantasy story submitted by a modeler. It might have been RCM or AAM, but I can't
recall.

The plot involved a model builder and flyer in the present day who is somehow transported back to
a battle in World War II. The man helps an American squadron in distress by flying his R/C plane over
the enemy position and dropping a grenade. Then just as mysteriously he's returned to point of origin.

The story was maybe 2 pages with a line drawn illustration of troops under fire and the model in flight
above them.

It was of course very unusual to see something like this published at the time, and is why I remember
its occurrence so vividly. The magazines commonly published stories decades before this, as in Air Trails
where the latest building article followed an exotic aviation adventure yarn. But by the 1950s and 60s the
fiction content had been virtually eliminated.

I wonder if anyone reading this remembers the R/C story and might have it in their magazine archive.
I'd appreciate seeing it reprinted here in RC Universe.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:16 AM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sure wish I could help you with this. I remember reading the fiction story you mention as well as a couple of others during the period 1968-1970 when I also had subscriptions to AAM and RCM.
One of these stories was named "Joe Brenlen's Transmitter" and was about the great fortune a modeler had after purchasing an estate radio system.
I have a pretty extensive RCM collection for this period and haven't had any luck finding these stories, so I think AAM may be the place to look.
-Ron