Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

By the way, the sky is falling and the world is coming to a end...

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

By the way, the sky is falling and the world is coming to a end...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 10:16 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default By the way, the sky is falling and the world is coming to a end...

we are just pawns on a intergalatic chess board, the beings controlling us have pitted traditional plank flyers vs the MR/drone crowd....
Old 10-21-2016, 01:27 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually the MR/Drone crowd is more than welcome to join us they just don't seem to see the necessity or the value to do so.

Mike
Old 10-21-2016, 04:27 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh ya, you can see how welcome they are here, can make a pretty good guess how they are embraced at some clubs. Fear of obsolescence is a fascinating dynamic to watch unfold. Denial too.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:35 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
we are just pawns on a intergalatic chess board, the beings controlling us have pitted traditional plank flyers vs the MR/drone crowd....
Who are the beings controlling you, lol. Wife, significant others, or MasterCard credit limits, those are mine..

If we use the threads on this site as a guide, it's pretty clear who have made this issue so polarizing and decisive. Look no further then "traditional" modelers, whatever that means. Heck, we even have two people running to lead the AMA on platforms of separation, division, and segregation. Thankfully neither will win.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:30 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Actually FPV/Drones have mostly faded at our field as folks got tired of seeing the same things thru a screen. Only one or two actually fly an thats when the planes are not up as we don't take kindly to hovering over the runway or flying out of pattern...............both rule violations made years before FPV. Seems like birds of a feather flock together as a club has formed in the area! Good all the way around.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:37 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
Actually FPV/Drones have mostly faded at our field as folks got tired of seeing the same things thru a screen. Only one or two actually fly an thats when the planes are not up as we don't take kindly to hovering over the runway or flying out of pattern...............both rule violations made years before FPV. Seems like birds of a feather flock together as a club has formed in the area! Good all the way around.
Do you mean a club has formed in the area for MR/Quad fliers and pilots? That's good to hear, even more so for one of two guys here that steadfastly refuse to believe anything like that could happen. But happen it does, it's happening across the country. I guess it is good news, if everyone is happy and content, it's a win win.

The same thing is happening at a club I fly at, about 20 guys came in within the year focused primarily on MR/FPV as we are one of the few clubs that accept them, and even had a track area built for them. Usage of that area is down well above 50%, and when it is used it's only by a few folks. Almost everyone of them have been bitten by the fixed wing bug and are over with the majority of us flying planks. Win Win!
Old 10-22-2016, 04:42 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
Were seeing the same here there were 10 guys racing now that down to 2 or 3. They flit from park to park till their run off. We offered use of the club field but they don't want to pay dues or AMA fees. You can lead a horse to water....................

Mike
Old 10-22-2016, 04:58 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Were seeing the same here there were 10 guys racing now that down to 2 or 3. They flit from park to park till their run off. We offered use of the club field but they don't want to pay dues or AMA fees. You can lead a horse to water....................

Mike
Yup, that happens. I know someone who won't fly at a club for the same reasons, doesn't want to pay dues. He'd rather fly in a field and avoid those costs. To each their own.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:18 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

The club I was talking about is racing FPV's . The local guys are back to fixed wing for the most part and don't use their "Flying Camara"s" much because of lack of action? It may be running it's course? Hopefully some others will post on what's happening at their locations.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:05 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
. Fear of obsolescence is a fascinating dynamic to watch unfold. .
That is an interesting statement. How many people have told you they are afraid of obsolescence? I have spoken to exactly ZERO. Or is that just something you conjured up?

Astro
Old 10-23-2016, 03:14 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
What, wait,, if the "Being are controlling you",, how were you able to post that?? Do the Beings want us to know we're being controlled?? that makes no sense unless they're some spiteful beings?? ya that must be it
Old 10-23-2016, 06:08 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
What, wait,, if the "Being are controlling you",, how were you able to post that?? Do the Beings want us to know we're being controlled?? that makes no sense unless they're some spiteful beings?? ya that must be it
Maybe it's Thanos or Darksied or Galactus controlling us, or the beings from Prometheus... The wrolds pyramids might have been made by humans, but they had intergalactic help...
Old 10-23-2016, 08:16 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Better than the Borg I guess
Old 10-23-2016, 08:27 AM
franklin_m

Yup, that happens. I know someone who won't fly at a club for the same reasons, doesn't want to pay dues. He'd rather fly in a field and avoid those costs. To each their own.
And what exactly is wrong with that? Why should anyone be disparaged because they don't have an emotional, social, or operational "need" to fly at a club? It would be easier to justify if the facilities were better, but they're not. In fact, the grass at the local school is actually better maintained, smoother, and shorter than at the club where it would have cost me an additional $100 a year.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:33 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog
That is an interesting statement. How many people have told you they are afraid of obsolescence? I have spoken to exactly ZERO. Or is that just something you conjured up?

Astro
If you followed Mike's comments like you do mine, you would find those comments, and so many more. Many along the lines of "we're not needed anymore, we're old, they don't need us to teach them to build..etc etc etc". No spin, not my analysis or interpretations..his actual words. And I remember them because I genuinely felt sad reading them. And I'll be the first to admit if thats me not getting his deep humor or sense or sarcasm (I should know about that). When I pair that up with his vitriol when it comes to the MR/Drone crowd, and his complete denial of their emergence and growing popularity within the hobby, I'm left with the impression that's rally how he feels.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:37 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
And what exactly is wrong with that? Why should anyone be disparaged because they don't have an emotional, social, or operational "need" to fly at a club? It would be easier to justify if the facilities were better, but they're not. In fact, the grass at the local school is actually better maintained, smoother, and shorter than at the club where it would have cost me an additional $100 a year.
You're getting as touchy as the other one, it's not always about you either. Did you see where I said "to each their own". Did I say that was good or bad, or pass judgement on it? It's not a question of "need" either, it's a question of "want". One either wants to, or not. You know well I've said there are probably more people flying outside of the AMA field scenario than within, and that's honkey dorkey as far as I'm concerned. You don't have to be part of a club or the AMA for that matter to enjoy this great hobby, To each their own.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:52 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

We don't mind the drones at our field, we need the target practice.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:26 AM
porcia83
Banned

Lol!
Old 10-25-2016, 08:58 AM
Taildragger
My Feedback: (204)

Geeeeezzzzz!
Old 10-25-2016, 09:18 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

and that's honkey dorkey as far as I'm concerned.
Er , Honkey ? .... Dorkey ? ... Ok then , If that's what does it for ya ....
Old 10-25-2016, 10:18 AM
bikerbc

We only have two at our field and the guys that fly them fly planes too . They don't fly their Drones while there are planes in the air and we all share the air space . These guys are our friends . But drones are getting a horrible reputation , probably overblown but it only takes one bad apple . I have heard some guys use them to peek into neighbouring yards to see what they can steal . There is always somebody that will screw thing up for the rest of us .
Old 10-25-2016, 11:56 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Er , Honkey ? .... Dorkey ? ... Ok then , If that's what does it for ya ....

Maybe hunky dory?
Old 10-25-2016, 11:59 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Maybe hunky dory?
I would guess that was the original intent , yes .
Old 11-02-2016, 10:17 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

For what it's worth, in our area some of the city/county have passed ordinances so you can't fly a drone/quad to with in 500 ft., lower than 500 ft. of any structure, except at designated flying fields, and ware permission has been granted, and we do have some quad flyers in our club .

Cheers
Old 04-06-2017, 06:57 AM
moparbob498

Yes, we've had several "invasion of our privacy" issues a couple times in our neighborhood due to drone-"stupid dumb jerk" rail job.com
For the rest of us.so true is it that, only takes a couple morons to ruin it for the masses