Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

96' wingspan Kadet need advice on power

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

96' wingspan Kadet need advice on power

Old 01-01-2017, 04:17 PM
Frtdrmrose7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96' wingspan Kadet need advice on power

Ok tonight I was given an old Kadet ( obviously an old kit or scratch build) this has a wooden cowl and is pretty cool. The plane is a 96' WS and I'm going to restore it to fly, my question is what engine for power? I've seen the new SIG Kadet Senior 78' WS will fly with a .46-53? And the giant scale 110' WS needs a 1.20. I have a .60 2 stroke laying around and a .91 surpass II that is also laying around. Do you think the .60 would be enough? Or should I use the .91? I was hoping to save the .91 for an old Top Flite Fockewulf 190D kit I have. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by Frtdrmrose7; 01-01-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:00 PM
TangoBravo

A Kadet with a 96 foot wingspan? Would that qualify as "Giant Scale". As far as power, maybe...a small block Chevy?

Seriously, I have a Kadet that seems to be a perfect match for a Saito 91 four stroke.

Tom
Old 01-01-2017, 05:27 PM
Frtdrmrose7

Hahahaha yeah, no it's 96 inch but I will look at fitting the .91 surpass
Old 01-08-2017, 05:09 PM
carlgrover

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Your 91 FS would probably get that plane in the air but what you need to consider is balance. A larger engine might be needed in order to balance the plane properly so you don't have to add a ton of nose weight.

carl
Old 01-08-2017, 05:28 PM
Frtdrmrose7

I looked at the Sig Kadet Senorita which has a 78 inch WS and that is recommending a .46 2 stroke. I just figured a .60 or my .91 because mine is a 96 inch WS. I always check my balance and will check the weight of the engine.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:21 AM
beachsideflyer

I had a 96" Bud Nosen Champ that flew very scale like on an OS 91, Alas, nose weight neede to be added to the spinner back plate.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:27 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

A couple years ago, I built a Sig Seniorita and I was kind of using it as a test bed. For instance, I completely sheeted the outside of the fuse over the skeleton frame that these things are supposed to fly with. I also elected to use an OS LA .46 engine for power merely to delve in to how little power was needed to fly a well designed plane, Lo and behold, the thing flew magnificently with that engine and added weight. It will even do loops and rolls (sloooow rolls). Moral is, I am constantly amazed at how little power is required to fly a well designed airplane. You might be surprised at how little will be required to fly your Kadet. This is flying on the wing, not flying on the prop.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:22 AM
F4 Phantom blue angles

Hi guy,I had a Telamaster and I think the wing was as long as yours,if not close to it. And it had a long fuse. It was a flat bottom wing,and I put a Fox .40 on it with a 10/6 prop. Everyone said it wont get off the ground. Well it did,you just needed a little bit longer runway. Once in the air it flew like kitten. Personally, I liked the way it crawled into the air. Lots of fun.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:42 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

If I'm not mistaken there was a Senior Telemaster around 96" wingspan also. A Kadet Senior has a 78" span wing.. and that's it. There were no 96" wing Kadets...unless someone added 9" to each wing half.

A Kadet Senior will fly with a .46... easily. A Senior Telemaster is another story, being a bit bigger they were better with a .60 size engine. Still a floater no doubt...

A big difference from one to the other(at least in stock form).. The Senior Kadet is a tri-gear plane, the Senior Telemaster is a tail-dragger. Both have very similar flat-bottom wings, and both have long wing spans.. with the larger being the Senior Telemaster.

I'm only calling this out, as it's a coincidence that you have a plane that in many ways is much like a 96" Senior Telemaster, yet you're calling it a 96" Senior Kadet... both planes were about the same era, in development, as well as design. As well as there smaller versions of each, and a much larger version also of the Telemaster....which was the 12' Telemaster.... but the biggest Kadet was the 78" version.

It's fine... you can call it what you want... thing is though, if it looks like a duck, and acts like a duck.. It probably is a duck...although you could call in a chicken if you want... haha... I'm just kidding... You just might double check what you have, as what you're saying doesn't make much sense...that's fine too... So...

Here's a link to plans to the Senior Telemaster if you wanted to compare that to what you have now... unless you're sure it's a Senior Kadet that is... I'm just offering this up as a gesture... check it out...

http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5044

You can download those if you like.. or you might already be familiar with the outerzone and how it works.. .. not sure....

I know I'd like to see pics of this " 96" Senior Kadet" I've never seen one with a 96" wing.... In any case good luck with it.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:48 PM
DGrant

Another tell tale sign of the Telemasters were they have a very familiar "lifting tail"...meaning a flat-bottom/foil-top horizontal stab. Kadets have flat stabs.. just FYI.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:58 AM
Frtdrmrose7

Ihere is a pic of the plane. It doesn't really match the plans for a Kadet or Senior Telemaster. It has a very unique bolt on tail with internal control rods.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2208821  
Old 04-08-2017, 08:05 AM
DGrant

I can see a similarity of your plane to both the Kadet, and the Telemaster, of course more like the Kadet, as you've said. Interesting. I wonder if it was kit-bash of some sort... I'm not sure on what to recommend for an engine, other then probably the higher end of the scale... A .91 four-stroke might do it... That would depend on the overall weight of the plane... With a 96" wing, you'll have plenty of lift... depending on how light it's built would determine how easy it would fly really.

The Kadet's are very light planes when built stock... very light for the wing-area and the flat-bottom wing.. which gives those exceptional lift. A nice one, built per plans will float around for days with a little .40-.46 engine. With what you have though, it's hard to gauge really without checking it out up close. A Kadet's wing is also very light... seriously they are light planes..

How is the structure on your plane?... Is it beefed up, shored up, or seem overly built or heavy?...

The fuselage, and everything back to the just before the tail looks like it started life as a Kadet, but morphed into something else... I don't know... I kind of want to call it "Frankenplane"... haha... just kidding.. I call all of these unique unknown planes Frankenplane... So what engine are you going to put in it?
Old 04-08-2017, 11:53 AM
F4 Phantom blue angles

Yes I remember, It was the Senior Telamaster and it was a tail dragger. Like I said,I put a .40 fox on it and it just putted around in the air.It was my first build back in 1988, I think I paid less than $100. for it. It came with a small book about 4" by 5". black and white. and a print. Wow, Im shure it wayed more than it was suppose to. Anyway, It is a great trainer. You should have seen my first monokote job,EEEK. Do You know where I can still the same kit? I want to modify it here and there? Thanks for replying.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:33 PM
Frtdrmrose7

I put an O.S .91 surpass II in it and it flys scale like with that engine. I'm thinking about really making it a "frankenplane" with a DLE 30 I have sitting around. Thoughts?
Old 04-08-2017, 03:37 PM
Frtdrmrose7

I was given this plane as a partially completed build and I finished it. I don't know where you could find one (kit) anymore in this size. This is a fun plane to fly especially to watch it just about hover in place with the flaps.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:46 PM
DGrant

Originally Posted by Frtdrmrose7 View Post
I was given this plane as a partially completed build and I finished it. I don't know where you could find one (kit) anymore in this size. This is a fun plane to fly especially to watch it just about hover in place with the flaps.
You've done well with it for sure. Have fun.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:23 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

my dad once mounted a os 25fp on a broomstick and flew his 120" telemaster with it.. i would put the small gasser you have on it just because i am trying to phase out my glow planes. 30cc is plenty. and should hover it
Old 04-09-2017, 12:02 PM
F4 Phantom blue angles

I had 3 Sig Kadets, There a preatty good trainer,but I dont like any planes that use rubber bands, You never get your wing in the exact place every time,But I modified mine and put wing bolts in mine. But I smashed all 3 screwing around,Ha!
Old 04-09-2017, 12:15 PM
Frtdrmrose7

I hear ya! This flies pretty slow and I almost put it in trying to do a roll. Slowest and scariest roll ever!