Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

The Drone Menace Continues

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

The Drone Menace Continues

Old 07-02-2017, 07:40 AM
  #1  
topspin
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 1,168
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Drone Menace Continues

I guess we all knew it was not if but when. This news article shows that which so many of us argued about when drones first hit the market. The people who do these things are unwittingly, or uncaringly damaging our hobby beyond all repair. Won't be long before the FAA cracks down again.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-su...014847624.html
Old 07-02-2017, 04:16 PM
  #2  
bingo field
 
bingo field's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Mt. Morris, NY
Posts: 1,731
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

How do you enlighten people that are absolutely clueless? I was at a tractor supply store this morning and they sell them ready to go for $150. Only 1 in 1000 people walking into that place would even know of the AMA (if the odds were even that good) or anything regarding safety.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:58 PM
  #3  
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Fairfield Glade, TN
Posts: 549
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by topspin View Post
I guess we all knew it was not if but when. This news article shows that which so many of us argued about when drones first hit the market. The people who do these things are unwittingly, or uncaringly damaging our hobby beyond all repair. Won't be long before the FAA cracks down again.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-su...014847624.html
Thank the AMA for supporting these things as part of our hobby/sport. In reality, they are a source of advertising income to the AMA.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:07 PM
  #4  
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: hastings, MN
Posts: 5,953
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Just my thoughts on this, To bad they don't have built in instant auto shut down sensor for 425 AGL that can't be altered or bypassed.

I hope they make an example out of him make him pay wages for all of the fire crews and aircraft time, and put it on the front page of all the papers and run it on the news networks, Now I am not a drone hater as I see them helping farmers looking at crops search and rescue efforts ware manned aircraft can't go.

But that is just me
Old 07-19-2017, 05:46 AM
  #5  
rcmiket
 
rcmiket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,217
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rt3232 View Post
Just my thoughts on this, To bad they don't have built in instant auto shut down sensor for 425 AGL that can't be altered or bypassed.

I hope they make an example out of him make him pay wages for all of the fire crews and aircraft time, and put it on the front page of all the papers and run it on the news networks, Now I am not a drone hater as I see them helping farmers looking at crops search and rescue efforts ware manned aircraft can't go.

But that is just me
Past track record is just a slap on the wrist. To date every FAA imposed fine has been bargained down to nothing. 25 grand and jail time my *****. These idoits need to be held accountable to the FULL extent of the law. Zero tolerance.

Mike..
Old 07-19-2017, 05:13 PM
  #6  
fourstar40
My Feedback: (27)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ft. Wayne, IN
Posts: 165
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JCOKEEFE View Post
Thank the AMA for supporting these things as part of our hobby/sport. In reality, they are a source of advertising income to the AMA.
I am not defending the AMA when I say this, but like was said in a previous post most people think of the Doctor group or motorcycle group when they hear AMA. I saw in Walmart the other day a Phantom 3 on the shelf. Regardless of the AMA or not there are going to be people who will buy drones and misuse them. As much as we would like to think it can be done the AMA can not control the actions of irresponsible people. As we have heard time and again, "You can't fix stupid".
Old 07-20-2017, 03:55 AM
  #7  
rcmiket
 
rcmiket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,217
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fourstar40 View Post
I am not defending the AMA when I say this, but like was said in a previous post most people think of the Doctor group or motorcycle group when they hear AMA. I saw in Walmart the other day a Phantom 3 on the shelf. Regardless of the AMA or not there are going to be people who will buy drones and misuse them. As much as we would like to think it can be done the AMA can not control the actions of irresponsible people. As we have heard time and again, "You can't fix stupid".
Who said the AMA could control them? What they did wrong was to get onto bed with them with both feet at great expense and time invested. The FAA controls the airspace and has the ability to fine and jail offenders which they have not done. The biggest screw up the AMA made was not protecting what model aviation has been for the last 80+years. When this all went down we were lumped in with the "droners". I have no beef with any form of R/C but the AMA OWES us the membership protection for cumbersome legislation and has not provided it.

MIke
Old 07-20-2017, 09:10 AM
  #8  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 25,258
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts
Default

Same was said when helicopters started flying 3D, then planes started flying 3D, and when ARF's came around.....

There's no reason not to embrace and educate, it will do us all good in the end. FWIW, I was in a lot of those meetings, the FAA never ever separated "models" from "drones" nor did they ever intend to. A marketing campaign would have cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and still the general John Q Public wouldn't know the difference between a "drone" and a model" They did appreciate the work we (the AMA) have done in regards to safety standards and an extremely safe historical record, they know that "we" are not the problem.

And oh yea, it was a guy flying a fixed wing that started putting all of us in the cross hairs, it wasn't a multi-rotor.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:33 AM
  #9  
rcmiket
 
rcmiket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,217
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
Same was said when helicopters started flying 3D, then planes started flying 3D, and when ARF's came around.....

There's no reason not to embrace and educate, it will do us all good in the end. FWIW, I was in a lot of those meetings, the FAA never ever separated "models" from "drones" nor did they ever intend to. A marketing campaign would have cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and still the general John Q Public wouldn't know the difference between a "drone" and a model" They did appreciate the work we (the AMA) have done in regards to safety standards and an extremely safe historical record, they know that "we" are not the problem.

And oh yea, it was a guy flying a fixed wing that started putting all of us in the cross hairs, it wasn't a multi-rotor.
Yea I remember when heli's showed upon the scene and the news got all over how unsafe they were than Congress had hearings and demanded the FAA deal with the issue..........................................tha n after that registration.......................Wait that never happened........................ Till recently ..........wonder what changed............................
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-20-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:59 PM
  #10  
bingo field
 
bingo field's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Mt. Morris, NY
Posts: 1,731
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Just yesterday, an incoming international flight reported a close encounter with a drone at about 900', we will hear more about this one, I am sure.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/0...k-airport.html

Last edited by bingo field; 08-02-2017 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Update with link to story
Old 08-02-2017, 04:34 AM
  #11  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 25,258
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts
Default

Where did you see that? Link to the story?
Old 08-04-2017, 05:36 AM
  #12  
JMCHASE
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 208
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drones not the problem

It's the FPV. helicopters and fixed wing are all within a fixed field the drone or quad introduced first person view now you can travel with it that's the real issue.... the thrill is flying like a bird with the quad
Old 08-04-2017, 08:18 PM
  #13  
the pope
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: goolwasa, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,680
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Here in Oz a light plane hit a reported drone . Turns out to be a bat . Now there the real menace . Germ infested blood sucking freaky things . The bats that is not talking politics ! Cheers
Old 08-14-2017, 03:28 PM
  #14  
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)
 
tailskid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Tolleson, AZ
Posts: 9,551
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

I heard on the radio this morning something about a 'drone' from Syria coming close to one of our warships.....don't know why they didn't deep six that puppy!
Old 08-15-2017, 05:55 PM
  #15  
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: hastings, MN
Posts: 5,953
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

That drone would have made good target practice for there AAA gunners, the 50 ca'sl ones would make quick work of it

Cheers

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.