Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Simple RC lever

Old 12-11-2017, 01:18 PM
SimpleLever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple RC lever

Hi everyone,

i want to build what could be one of the simplest rc projects out there but so far nothing has been simple! Experience is valuable and right now I have none.

I would like to operate a mechanical switch remotely (probably with a servo?) that will select one of two coax inputs.

I would like to use a key fob style transmitter with an A and B button. I don't think I would need any feedback, if I pushed the A button and the switch was already in that position the servo wouldn't move but I would have confirmed the switch was in the desired position by pushing the button. I haven't made much progress because I can't find a simple, nice looking, transmitter (not just a pcb) and I'm not sure what I would need for a receiver and motion controller to drive a servo.

Are there servo's with defined limits built right into the servo, such as 60 deg. or 90 deg? How much torque would I need to operate a small plastic switch that would normally be moved with 1 or 2 fingers?

If someone could point me in the right direction to some good components or maybe a good article that explains a project like this.

Thanks for helping a guy get started in the world of RC!

Jason
Old 12-12-2017, 04:26 AM
Calvinman

Hi Jason, Welcome to RCU. You are right nothing is ever simple. You could use a remote that controls the power from an outlet. I got one with a garage door opener package I picked up. The transmitter is a garage door remote and the switched unit plugs into a wall recepticle that you can plug a lamp into. Now figuring out how to do the switching, that could be interesting but they have a servo called a sail winch servo. Not 100% sure but this servo may rotate multiple times to wind rope to control a sail?

You may be able to even find some form of solid state switch to simplify things even more. There are also IR repeaters that work well for use when your DVD player is in a closed cupboard or otherwise out of line of site that may be usable.

I am sure that someone with more experience will be able to give you more help than I can. Looking forward to seeing how you solve your problem.

Calvi
Old 12-13-2017, 09:10 AM
SimpleLever

Calvin,

Thanks for the suggestions. In my case the coax switch I want to operate mechanically is in the drop ceiling about 40 ft. from the living room. It looks like there are some IR repeaters out there that send the signal wirelessly, so that might be an option. I was hoping to use an RF signal because I figured I could accomplish my goal with just a few small components, now if I could only figure out which components I should be using.

The sail winch servo is interesting, I love to sail full size boats and have seen some RC sailboats around, it's amazing what they can do with one controller.

Jason