Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Tower Hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 01:58 PM
bhady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the Tower web-site gone or just down, I haven't been able to get on for a few days now. I know Horizon is handling G.P. stuff now, just wondering what will happen to the Kaos ARF's
Old 05-30-2018, 02:48 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bhady
Is the Tower web-site gone or just down, I haven't been able to get on for a few days now. I know Horizon is handling G.P. stuff now, just wondering what will happen to the Kaos ARF's
Logged in the other day and logged in just now, they are up. Might just be an Internet or server glitch of some sort. Kaos .40 ARF is back ordered expected Late June, Kaos .60 ARF is expected Late May.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:17 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was on there yesterday and everything seems to be on back order now with exception of few things here and there Michael
Old 05-30-2018, 07:26 PM
GallopingGhostler

I was saddened when Hobby People (AKA Hobby Shack in its earlier years) totally folded. A couple years ago while in the LA area, I picked up some balsa and hardware items and some stuff that I have a harder time getting here in rural NM outside mail order. Their hay day was when they offered kits and engines cheaper than most the competition. They even contracted with other sources to sell kits and then foam ARF's under their own name.

Early on they really impressed me. While in Hawaii as a young man in the early 1970s, I ordered an OS Pet .06 standard (CL/FF) because I wanted a touch more power for my single channel Goldberg Jr. Falcon. They were out of stock (or discontinued), they substituted an OS Max .10R/C at no added cost!

Then about 15 years ago, they seemed to have changed, no longer had the good deals or type of stuff I was looking for, for a mail order outfit. I wasn't interested in ARF aircraft and then new line of electric motors. Tower Hobbies had seemed to offer better deals, and so off and on I bought stuff through mail from Tower, and once in a while from their sister store, Omni Models.

Yes, something must be going on, because they have dropped almost all glow engines, most fuel remains back ordered, many kit lines remain back ordered with no anticipated fulfillment date. Those items that do not have an anticipated arrival date I figure are pretty much toast. I saw Super Tiger engines on back order for a long, long time, which told me that they would probably never be fulfilled, which became the case.

In the Horizon - Hobbico merger, the dust has not settled yet. We most likely will see definite changes. Actually, I think it would be good if they would start selling their Evolution and Saito engines on Tower. This would make up for the lack of current engines carried by Tower. Also if they would restore fuel sales to Tower would be good, too.

Regarding kits, I have already located a few well known laser cutters who sell partial & full kits and plans. They have planes I've wanted to build, but would have to scratch build, and for their reasonable prices no longer have to depend on the now defunct big names.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:32 AM
JNorton

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding kits, I have already located a few well known laser cutters who sell partial & full kits and plans. They have planes I've wanted to build, but would have to scratch build, and for their reasonable prices no longer have to depend on the now defunct big names.
So who are they? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:22 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by JNorton
So who are they? Inquiring minds want to know.
| .:: L a z e r-w o r k s.c o m ::. Lazer Works - Engraving & Design |

Laser Design Services

Aero-werkes
Old 05-31-2018, 05:15 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I have used Laser Design Services and was impressed by his speed, service, and quality. Limy Bob does a great job. If the other two have the same quality and service you have a winning trio!
Old 05-31-2018, 06:46 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

As far as the OS engines Tower sold, they were an exclusive distributor, and now that they no longer exist as Tower, that distributorship more than likely no longer exists either. HH would have to negotiate with OS to be able to sell them, and since HH is the exclusive Saito Dist, there may be a conflict of interest. So lets see what happens when the dust settles and who licks up OS and Futaba.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:08 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
As far as the OS engines Tower sold, they were an exclusive distributor, and now that they no longer exist as Tower, that distributorship more than likely no longer exists either. HH would have to negotiate with OS to be able to sell them, and since HH is the exclusive Saito Dist, there may be a conflict of interest. So lets see what happens when the dust settles and who licks up OS and Futaba.
There was a short period of time (months), back in the 90's, where Tower sold Saito, along side of OS.

I don't see why there would be a conflict of interest. Deals can be struck with multiple manufactures. Unless a contract is signed, stating that a supplier will sell one brand only, there should be no reason that Horizon can't sell OS. The question may be,"Do they want to?".
Old 05-31-2018, 06:41 PM
mkjohnston

well there is a rumor that Hobbico owed OS and Futaba over a hundred million each as they had paid them in along time but as part of the deal Horizon is not assuming Hobbico's debt so if OS and Futaba want to continue to sell in the US they will continue to deal with Horizon because there is really no one left to distribute there goods in the US. You can already buy Spectrum Radios on tower hobbies website and losi's car are also available too.
Michael Johnston
Old 06-07-2018, 11:34 AM
ma_mulcahy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I saw that virtually all of the Great Planes and Top Flite kits appeared to be on backorder today, I sent Tower an email asking if they would truly be restocked or whether they were at the end of the line. Here is the reply I received:

Dear Tower Hobbies Customer,
Thank you for contacting Tower Hobbies. We are currently in transition with our new owner Horizon Hobby. We hope to have our inventory improve soon. Our webpage, www.towerhobbies.com is updated daily with the latest availability information. WE apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

We appreciate your time and business with us.

Janice
Tower Customer Service

I'm going to be a pessimist here and say that their kit business is toast. The only way to get those kits will be on the second-hand market.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:02 PM
acdii

canned response, so you betcha. Pretty sad too.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:39 PM
GallopingGhostler

It is what it is. For builders fortunately, there are still plans available from various sources and sufficient laser kit cutters to make up for the shortages.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:06 PM
acdii

The most difficult part about building a kit, without the kit, are the canopies and cowls, and other molded parts. Unless a place like fiberglass specialties carries it, you basically are on your own to scratch one up.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:45 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by acdii
The most difficult part about building a kit, without the kit, are the canopies and cowls, and other molded parts. Unless a place like fiberglass specialties carries it, you basically are on your own to scratch one up.
Of course, resorting scratch builder or laser cutters won't resolved accessory issues that normally came with a kit. Sig has generic bubble canopies. Some builders are skilled and equipped to roll their own. In some cases, a suitable spare part canopy from an ARF might work, if available separately from manufacturer / distributor. I've made engine cowls from the right sized vitamin or medicine plastic bottle.

Overall, issues like this may dictate what a builder will consider for a suitable candidate. Thus, I've been a fan of sport models versus scale, because overall they are easier to build and fly well. Bottom line is having fun no matter that tickles your fancy.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Of course, resorting scratch builder or laser cutters won't resolved accessory issues that normally came with a kit. Sig has generic bubble canopies. Some builders are skilled and equipped to roll their own. In some cases, a suitable spare part canopy from an ARF might work, if available separately from manufacturer / distributor. I've made engine cowls from the right sized vitamin or medicine plastic bottle.

Overall, issues like this may dictate what a builder will consider for a suitable candidate. Thus, I've been a fan of sport models versus scale, because overall they are easier to build and fly well. Bottom line is having fun no matter that tickles your fancy.
Reminds me I have an RCM plan that recommends using a Cool Whip bowl as a suitable cowling or it can be used to layup fiberglass to make the canopy. House of Balsa has a small T-6 kit that use to specify using the hard black plastic bottom of the old style two liter soda bottle.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:09 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Reminds me I have an RCM plan that recommends using a Cool Whip bowl as a suitable cowling or it can be used to layup fiberglass to make the canopy. House of Balsa has a small T-6 kit that use to specify using the hard black plastic bottom of the old style two liter soda bottle.
This is my first attempt at using common 3/16" (5mm) thick poster foam board and cowling from a vitamin supplement bottle. Engine is a 1963 A.C. Gilbert .074 Thunderhead. It is patterned using Sterling Ringmaster flying surface outlines and Keith Laumer's Gee Bee Z profile fuselage with Ringmaster cockpit outline.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:23 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have never seen a vitamin bottle look so good and the profile is unmistakable! The Gee Bee must be feather light and the engine should provide a good deal of power! C/L is in it's renaissance here in OKC. On Saturdays you see a lot of C/L pilots at one of the local clubs with the Ringmaster well represented. I traded a friend an old used O.S> Max .40 FP for a NIB old stock Enya SS15 he couldn't sell but I could use on a new project. He didn't keep it 2 weeks before someone bought it off him and converted it to C/L. The FP had a lot of life still in it and was in the air last Saturday.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:57 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Is TOWER HOBBIES on a "self-destruct mission" ?

I placed an order, all items are in stock and the shipping delay is 7 to 14 DAYS ?

I tried the usual Promo codes and they didn't work so I wrote to TH about it.....

This is not the way to make money in this business, I think ?!
Old 06-19-2018, 04:37 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sounds like Horizon is going to kill Tower's coupon program. I would have thought denying a third party coupon would fall under price fixing laws. We got any legal eagles on this board?
Old 06-19-2018, 04:46 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I would have thought denying a third party coupon would fall under price fixing laws. We got any legal eagles on this board?
Exactly my thoughts : I'm not buying from Horizon, I'm buying from Tower Hobbies store! So why should I care about Horizon ? I want the discount from Tower Hobbies because that's what they offer
Old 06-19-2018, 06:21 AM
GallopingGhostler

At least it is clarified on Tower's website, for example, mentions coupon does not apply to all items:

For E-Flite, it is clarified again on the particular ARF:

So, we may not like what coupons apply to and not, but it is clarified. It is what it is.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:10 AM
mkjohnston

to me it looks like horizon is already gutting TH. I was looking at this site this morning as I got a 50 dollar gift certificate to spend there. I see where futaba has set up its own shop again in Alabama and I wonder is OS going to do the same as they are owned by Futaba. I have never liked Horizon they are just like Hobbico was and its just another sign that this hobby is a big decline. Buy out their competitors and put them out of business.
Life goes on
Michael
Old 06-19-2018, 09:56 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Refusing to accept coupons for certain Horizon brand product is nothing new,, if you ever ordered from A_main,, you've been down that road,, They have a minimum price they'll allow to sell at online,, Believe it or not,,the policy is there to make LHSs competitive,, something Hobbico/Great Planes didn't do,, Hobbico selling through Tower undercut the LHSs constantly one of the reasons so many are gone,,,
Old 06-19-2018, 03:18 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bottom line Tower is now just a store front for Horizon and they can not undercut Horizon. I suspect Tower sales will never recover to the point they were before they started to
have inventory problem and the ownership by Horizon will have a farther negative impact on sales. I have heard that Tower is now charging sales tax on purchases they
never did before to some customers. combine the sales tax with no coupon and sales will only decline.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.