Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Need advice attaching Speed 400 motor to an old EPP combat foamie

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Need advice attaching Speed 400 motor to an old EPP combat foamie

Old 04-14-2018, 03:56 PM
Armchair Bronco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice attaching Speed 400 motor to an old EPP combat foamie

I have an old Speed-400 based EPP foamie, a 1-meter Bowmanís Scooter, that Iím trying to make air worthy again. I need to mount a NOS Graupner Speed 400 motor into a cutout that is no longer snug enough to hold the motor securely on its own.

Originally, this was a tight fit, but after multiple crashes and several engine replacements, I need a new solution.

Hereís what Iím currently thinking:
  • This is my last brushed Speed 400 motor, and Iím already planning to upgrade my fleet to use brushless E-Flight 2000Kv motors which should be drop-in replacements. So, when the new Graupner motor dies, I want to be able to easily remove it from the plane without too much work.
  • Iím planning to wrap the motor in some 1/64th cardboard and use CA to glue the seam. The cardboard paper needs to be thick enough to give me a snug fit. Iíve seen threads where builders made plywood motor mounts out of 1/64th plywood, but I expect to have lots of crashes and donít think a plywood sleeve will survive. I'm not sure if I need to fabricate a fake cowling.
  • Next, Iíll use a slower curing CA to secure the motor + sleeve into the cutout, making sure to get the thrust line and alignment right.
  • I figure as long as I can avoid a direct nose-dive crash, this setup should keep things in place. And even after a cartwheeling crash, I may be able to do makeshift repairs in the field using fast-curing CA.
  • Then, when the S400 motor inevitably dies, I'll just drop in a brushless version, wire up a new ESC, and I'll be back on the slope.

​​​​​

Old 04-14-2018, 11:51 PM
Armchair Bronco

Sorry, this was the wrong place to post this thread. I meant to target an electric foamie forum but figured there might be more traffic here. Didn't mean to spam you guys.

I ended up buying some 1/64th birch plywood after all, and I'm busy getting a tube made that fits around the motor. The motor and the sleeve are separated by some wax paper. After I toughen up the seam on the plywood, I'll glue it into the fuselage using the shaft and a prop for alignment. When it dries I can remove the motor and the wax paper, and then wrap some masking tape around the motor until I get a snug fit. With luck, I'll be able to pull it when I'm ready to upgrade but still keep the motor cavity intact and aligned.

That's the plan, anyway.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:25 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Won't this setup hold a lot of heat, possibly causing premature failure of the motor?
Old 04-15-2018, 11:44 AM
Armchair Bronco

Originally Posted by JollyPopper View Post
Won't this setup hold a lot of heat, possibly causing premature failure of the motor?
Yes, it will. That's the trade-off with these types of EPP foamies with a motor cavity. If the motor doesn't die from a nose-diving crash, it will likely die from overheating.

I try to use the motors sparingly, and I typically run the Speed 400's at no more than 50% power for small bursts here and there. When I upgrade my fleet to E-Flight Six Series 2000 Kv motors, I will probably use a plywood firewall and try to keep the motor more exposed to the elements, but even then I won't be going full throttle as if I were flying hotliners.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:02 PM
Armchair Bronco

Well, I've gone full circle on this one. I managed to fabricate a 1/64th sleeve out of birch plywood, and the motor was a tight fit, but then I couldn't find my old 20 amp Pixie ESC, so rather than wasting time looking for that old piece of hardware, I've decided to just bite the bullet and do the brushless motor and ESC upgrade now and be done with it.

I'll probably end up going with some heavy card stock for a motor mount once the new motor kit arrives. Thanks for the feedback.