Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Can someone I.D. this airplane?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Can someone I.D. this airplane?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 06:32 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can someone I.D. this airplane?

I was given a box of model airplane parts by a guy at the flying field. He said they were given to him so he didn`t know anything about them. The wing and fuselage are partly assembled and I stuck the wing on for this picture. The wing has 4 servo boxes built for I`m assuming ailerons and flaps.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:37 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The construction has "Goldberg" written all over it but I can't identify the type.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:54 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Chad may well be right about the manufacturer . For my part it does also look like a Goldberg kit , and from the looks of the beefy construction of the front of the fuselage it looks like it was intended for an engine instead of an electric motor . Trying to judge it's size by comparing it to the super cub it looks like it could be a ".40 sized" kit ?
Old 06-24-2018, 05:41 AM
Stickslammer

The wingspan is about 55"and the fuselage about 45". Beefy may be a bit of an understatement. The builder could have decided to do a little kit bashing on this one as here doesn`t appear to be a lot if any effort to save weight. All the control surfaces are built up with sheeting and there`s some pretty heavy duty hardware in various places. I think the model was intended to have a retractable landing gear also. I don`t think a .40 would pull it of the ground. I`m not a very experienced builder but I can`t for the life of me figure out what`s going on up in the firewall area.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:37 AM
Stickslammer

Here`s a few more pics. This looks like a model that would be out of my price range. Interesting, though, when you think of what happened with the original builder. I don`t know if I`ll see the person who gave me the stuff again or not. Chances are good that I`ll be able to identify the model here and can obtain a copy of the plans. Or maybe I can complete it from scratch, which would be a first for me. This may be the first mode that uses all 6 of my channels. We shall see.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:45 AM
Stickslammer

I thought for sure someone out there would know what this was. I guess I`m on my own on this one.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:41 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You may not be getting much coverage here in the Clubhouse. I would suggest posting your question down in the kit building section.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:40 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

IDK,,

I don't see any parts markings and the construction screams scratch build to me,, it could be a one off model

That firewall area looks awful small for the fuse, and bolts in from the back??, strange, never seen a kit that does that

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 06-29-2018 at 02:56 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:10 AM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Finally suspected a 'Great Pains' RV-4 - did some research of images and found this - cutouts in fuse sides, ribs, and constant chord wing look like a match - perhaps the previous owner decided to sheet entire wing and tail parts to glass it or for whatever reason...

I'd try to remove all the added weight at a minimum.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:04 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

good eye,,

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...html?styleid=7
Old 06-30-2018, 04:46 AM
Stickslammer

It looks like that`s the one. Nice build thread, too. Thanks for all the responses and info. I`ll see what I can do about obtaining all the missing stuff.