Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Spray on ingredients to seal monokote trim over monokote...

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Spray on ingredients to seal monokote trim over monokote...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 03:54 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray on ingredients to seal monokote trim over monokote...

I'm trying to relocate a complete set of pics covering Tom Herrs 55/60 ArrowMaster in monokote...I've lost the web-site for this complete start tonfinish series...In it, they discussed a solution of TrimCoat, ammonia, water, and liquid detergent to use when applying monokote trim on top of monokote...I was hoping to find someinevwho might be familiar with the web-site, or better yet, the ingredients to the solution..

thanks,
N5225SDK
Old 02-18-2019, 11:42 PM
egldriver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've got a bottle of TF trim solvent if that helps and some trim sheets
Old 02-18-2019, 11:44 PM
egldriver

Old 02-19-2019, 11:39 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Research the "Windex Method" for applying trim. You should find what you require.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:46 PM
egldriver

windex worked well when i applied stars and bars etc to monokote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:45 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

When I'm doing TrimKote, I just take a bowl of appropriate size for the graphics I'm applying. I put a few drops of dishwashing liquid in it(maybe 3 or 4 if it's a large bowl), put water in, and stir it.

I take my graphic and dip it through the bowl making sure I get the whole thing wet, then I carefully place it as close as I can, and holding onto a corner I can get it perfect, as the water solution will let it slide and shift if needed. One I have it placed perfectly where I want it, I just use a soft cloth and blot/press it carefully so it won't shift, and to work any bubbles out(there's usually nothing though).

After it's all blotted, and it sits overnight, that stuff is stuck stuck. Seriously there's no special solution.... This or any of the above techniques others mentioned will work just fine. It works for many adhesive applications actually.

The adhesive on TrimKote isn't water soluble, and water doesn't affect it at all, other then creating a barrier so the adhesive can't stick to the film. The soap only is a lubricant. Once the water/soap evaporates the TrimKote is nearly vacuum sealed in a sense.