Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Powering Light Kit

Old 01-09-2020, 06:55 AM
hookedonrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powering Light Kit

I have had an Aeroworks Cessna 195 in the box for several years now, and recently started to assemble it. I am at the point where I am powering the light kit, and am have a question. Normally, I would just attach it to the Gear slot and use it to turn them in and off. However, the slot is in use for the opto kill switch (6 channel Spektrum Receiver. So, I thought I would use a Y plug to hook up the lighting to the same channel. However, the light kit has a female plug, and the Y will also have the same. What it seems that I need is a Y plug with a male for the receiver, a male for the light kit, and a female for the kill switch. Do I have to have a special Y plug, or am I going at this from the wrong direction?
I have 2 batteries, two switch/charge ports, and a DLE 30 RA with electronic ignition, if that helps.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:43 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

I am sure you will be able to find an extension that has male connectors on both ends.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:46 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Male-Le.../dp/B000BMM2UI
Old 01-09-2020, 10:54 AM
hookedonrc

Thanks Steve, this might be the one. I did set up a temporary connection, and I think I may not be trying with enough channels. I have a Top Flite Cessna 182, but I used an 8 channel receiver. On the 195, I am working with 6.

1- Throttle
2- Rudder
3- Elevator
4- Aelerons (Y harness on single channel.)
5- Flaps (Aux 1 with a Y harness. Will assign Aux to flaps.)
6-Gear (To Optical kill switch for remote kill.)

Bind and Data port (from second battery with Y for lights)

In between each battery Is a on/off charge switch. So, technically there are two batteries connected to the RX when the kill switch is feeding power to the electronic ignition module. Seems like a big circle to me, but it may well be the receiver is only 6 channels and I need the 8 channel receiver. The drawing I found on the net shows 2 batteries. One battery to the optical kill switch (excel), and the second to the receiver. No more detail on the drawing.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:32 PM
hookedonrc

Since writing the above, I have been looking at other planes in my hangar. Instead of using the Opto Kill Switch for DLE engines, I think I am going to switch it out. I have used the RCATS 100x in other planes and it doesn't need multiple ports, and it works well. I am not sure what I am doing wrong on the DLE Opto.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:59 AM
hookedonrc

Well, I stuck with the DLE opto kill switch. After moving wires around several times, I think I got it. My biggest problem has been trying to use a 6 channel rx and still hook up the kill switch 2 power switches, and a light kit. Even though I have it working, I still might step up the rx to an 8 channel as I have a DX8 so plenty of slots then. And, since the light kit has a female plug, I will need to use a male to male connector like the one Steve shows.