Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Stay at home or go to the field....

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Stay at home or go to the field....

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 08:14 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Stay at home or go to the field....

My States "Stay at Home" shutdown starts Sat. A few guys in the club have been working toward having a club combat series during the summer. First one is to be Sun.
Not sanctioned. Not even "officially" declared a club event. Expectation will be 3-4 showing up. Even without the covid-19 event, at most one or two other general flyers might be at the field. Weather here is still leaning toward winter more than spring, so that by itself would reduce the number who feel the need to go fly.
No word from the Club Board on activity at the field (not enough time for them to discuss yet). Nothing in our by-laws that even allow the Board to unilaterally shut down the field (although they can cancel declared Club events)- so that may be a point of contention down the road.

Best we can parse the Gov's order, only essential businesses can stay open. Already have a restaurant/major event/school lockdown, so this is more of a small-ish ratchet up of the restrictions. 260 identified cases in the whole state.
Buying essentials is OK, as is getting out for exercise, provided one maintains "social distance". Police are empowered to issue $1,000 fines for violating the order, but there is no guidance yet on what is a violation.
Of course, there is the legal eagle or two in the group who insists this is exercise. And we are all "of that age".
No word on how other outdoor sports are dealing with this - driving ranges, archery fields, disk golf, etc. (too much winter still for real golf).

So, do we have what will be a very small session, where we maintain social distance? Or put out the word to just not bother to show up?

What is your opinion?
Old 03-26-2020, 03:29 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I am appalled. A 5-digit AMA member. Leader-Admin, IP Instructor and CD. Yet you appear to care very little about enforcing some basic common sense rules so you can have your fun. You can't even wait a few weeks until this a blows over. Just look at China's numbers - over 90% of their reported cases are now recovered. Maybe there is something to say about strict enforcement in a medical emergency. It is exactly your kind of attitude that has caused the drone problem.
The following users liked this post:
init4fun (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 04:06 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tedsander
Expectation will be 3-4 showing up.
Bottom line question ; DO you trust those "3 or 4" people with your life ?????

RG Burrill hit the nail on the head with his response ! As a 5 digit AMA member you certainly must be of an age to be considered "High Risk" , and certainly should be old enough to know better than to trifle with something so serious .

Old 03-26-2020, 06:23 AM
init4fun

Of course , if these 3 or 4 people are your best friends , and you've all made a pact of "fly together / die together" , don't let me stand in the way of your "Thelma and Louise" update
Old 03-26-2020, 06:28 AM
tedsander

OK, the post was edging into "trolling" territory. But I was interested in other responses to a texting discussion that was on-going in the mentioned small group.
I shouldn't have been surprised that from that came the assumption that I was planning to attend, or encouraging others to attend - and then be upbraided for such.
As of this morning the guidance by health/government is not as granular as one would like. Local disk golf and public outdoor archery ranges are remaining open, and along with outdoor activity (walking, hiking, biking, fishing, hunting) are actually being encouraged. Pronouncements for kids and playgrounds are mixed - some authorities are closing them, some keeping them open. Golf courses are seeking clarity over whether they should open the courses, if no buildings are open. - that whole encouraged (by authorities) "get outside" thing vs the "don't get too close together" prohibitions.

wnewbury (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 08:56 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

In my county there are 18 cases for a population a little north of 400,000. That amounts to .0045%! I'm going flying as often as the weather allows!
Old 03-26-2020, 10:06 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I will probably venture out to the field next week as weather allows.. for some flying, while also maintaining a very far distance from anyone that happens to be there, several yards or more. If there's more then 3 or 4 people I will just take my plane and go home. I usually go midweek anyway when everyone else is working(I am retired), but with many being off work for many reasons, we'll see how it looks.

Of course there's plenty of room for everyone if there's only a few or less pilots, and I can easily tether my plane to start and launch... but I will definitely be mindful of distancing, as well as I won't be using any facilities either I'm sure.

I'm not going out for a whole day of flying, but would like to get a few flights in, and a bit of solitude away from my house(that I've been staying in for at least 2 weeks now). This I deem acceptable based on directives we've been given and consider it outdoor recreation, but whatever anyone does just remember the directives we're supposed to follow, whatever they are in your area.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:16 AM
yoyohead55

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My opinion is that we should all stay home until this is over, or they find a cure.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:05 AM
init4fun

This new virus almost makes me miss AIDS .... Why , you ask ? Simple , at least with AIDS you got to have sex before you died , now with Corona virus there's no fun to be had first , you catch it then end up dead
Old 03-26-2020, 03:08 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am going to field as much as I can and I am thankful I don't live in a area where the gov will try to fine you for leaving home. I get the social distance thing and practice it but I think being outdoors in fresh air is one of
the safer places to be.
tailskid (04-03-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 06:38 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

kinda depends on just where that big ole asteroid NASA been watching is...
Old 03-26-2020, 07:37 PM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's things like this that make me wish I was living in the land of the free and the home of the brave.
daveopam (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 11:05 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo
kinda depends on just where that big ole asteroid NASA been watching is...
That would be good news.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:36 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I plan on going when I can. Just being smart about it. Maintain social distancing and don't touch anyone else's gear. Some of these responses seam heavy handed to me.

David
Old 03-28-2020, 12:18 PM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I flew yesterday and I'm flying tomorrow too. If more than one other guy shows up to fly, it will be a miracle. I typically fly alone.

carl
Old 03-28-2020, 01:26 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Went for a country drive yesterday with my wife. We stopped at the flying field for a short break, and there was 2 guys flying, pitted 40' apart. We all kept good distances apart, I only stepped out of my car for a few minutes.... to feel the sunshine and gentle breezes. None of us saw anything wrong with it. I'm still planning on flying early in the week, when there's even less chance of anyone being there.

We were well within all directives we've been given, and it's the first time in almost 3 weeks we've been out of the house for anything other then 2 quick careful trips to the grocery store. At some point we'll all have to come out. Some people will take longer for whatever reasons. We're not prisoners though... we're responsible adults, and we harmed nobody. We were in the confines of our car, and out in the open air for a little bit, and it felt great. I fail to see how that should be any problem after this long. Life will return soon. Next weeks weather looks to be in low-mid 70's... and I can't wait!

Old 04-03-2020, 03:04 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think all the flying clubs in the greater Phoenix AZ area are now closed But we can still play golf!
Old 04-03-2020, 04:02 PM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wish I could be smart enough to see the current situation as a reasonable response to an illness rather than an all out attack against the American economy.
RC_Fanatic (04-09-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 06:00 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

My runway is behind my house. No neighbors in sight. Now that the rainy season is almost over I did the first rough cut. Next will be a finish cut and some clean up. Then hopefully I’ll get to fly something. I stay at home.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:34 PM
tedsander

Just a follow up - the original "event" was abandoned, primarily due to weather. One member of the group pushed for a bit to schedule another date, but as news from around the country got more serious, he stopped. Most of the others just didn't respond to his suggested dates. I noted to them that I am on hiatus from flying for a while. One or two others sometimes go out for a couple of flights, but it is at most just 2 at the field. Generally it is one guy all alone. Sounds like far less contact than I currently get trying to go for a bike ride. Geez there are a lot of people out walking, even in areas nobody ever used to be before. Cases are increasing in my state, but even if under counted by a factor of 10 or 20, are nowhere near the levels in other areas of the country. Daughter lives in Brooklyn, so her reports keep me on the straight and narrow, if nothing else does. So I complete more aircraft than I will every really use on a routine basis....
Old 04-17-2020, 05:52 PM
rameleni1
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to go to the field, having time off of work. My flying sites are in Forest Preserves in Illinois. I have to pay for AMA, FAA, and County permit. Found out that all the Forest Preserves are open. They have walking trails, fishing, dog walk area's all open. Model Aircraft fields and bathrooms are closed! I can understand the bathrooms, but why close the flying fields? I also wanted to do some repairs on some planes. Have to buy some 1/32 balsa sheets. Go to any Hobby Shop, or Ebay and check out the prices... https://www.horizonhobby.com/balsa-s...810%29-mid6601
I'm not sure if this is because of the virus or not but wow!
Old 04-18-2020, 04:33 AM
bessiebeardsley

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just stay home.. it's not so difficult