Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

ftx brushed/brushless help!

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

ftx brushed/brushless help!

Old 05-05-2020, 01:27 AM
rich16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ftx brushed/brushless help!

Hi guys, first post! Im desperate to be pointed in the right direction here.

UK based by the way if that matters.

Me and my 8 y/o son both have standard off the shelf FTX outlaw brushed cars. We have a large gravel area on our neighbours farm and we take some cones, set out a track and have an absolute ball!

We have two 5000 mah enrichpower batteries each. They last ok, maybe 25 mins of fast driving.

We both actually like the speed and performance of the standard cars. They are fast enough for us to race and have fun, but also it's easy enough to drive mainly for my son and when we crash we often get away with it (although many steering parts have been consumed!)

Problem is, my son is on his 4th motor in a year (understood it's the way we drive them probably) and mine went last night, I think the brushes have just worn out looking in there so general w&t.

Also, my son has been heavy handed with his controller and the 'steering wheel' has snapped something inside, meaning you can turn it past its lockstops.

Lastly! One of our batteries only lasts 10 minutes, I haven't discovered which one yet in between my motor going and his controller last night. And our fast charger we purchased is temperamental. We have to give it a tap to charge sometimes.

What we really want is the same performance atleast as a standard brushed car with the 5000 nimh battery, but reliability and long running. My sons used to the speed so dont mind going faster. Naturally im looking at a brushless setup.

I dont know what motor to get! or esc. I dont know if I should keep these batteries or go lipo. It's an absolute minefield. As I said, I want reliable performance, no interest in more speed whatsoever but understand brushless and this go hand in hand, and we want a set of batteries where we can go out and be out of the house for an hour or two. Money is no object in a way (of course it is) but I mean, i'll buy what's right if I know what's right. Bearing in mind we have two cars, one lost a motor, one battery down, a charger playing up and a broken controller!

Im wondering if the way to go is purchase the brushless setup out of the OEM brushless ftx outlaw, but run our nimh batteries with it and change the connectors to something more reliable on the batteries, purchase a new charger, another pair of batteries. Im thinking this will be reliable, but just improve the speed a little rather than loads by not using lipo?

Understand this comes under the noob question category! Sorry in advance

Thankyou!!

Last edited by rich16; 05-05-2020 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:00 AM
Big Alice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you decide to go brushless put in a lipo as well. Nimh doesn't do well in brushless applications.