Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC Online Members.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:50 PM
rcjake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Online Members.

I was just remembering way back in the 1900s (hahaha!) when RC Universe was RC Online. I would get online daily and chat with many members who were from all over the world. I would also check out the forums and for sale ads.

Are there any other members who frequented RC Online back in the day?

Jake
Old 08-01-2020, 03:22 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

there are still a few of us left.
ed had a great system for a while back then.
The following users liked this post:
rcjake (08-01-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 06:39 AM
rcjake

Originally Posted by mongo View Post
there are still a few of us left.
ed had a great system for a while back then.

I remember chatting with Art Grabow Sr almost daily back then. He was a great guy.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:42 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Still around since before the beginning
rcjake (08-04-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 03:59 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I joined RCO back in 98 or 99
rcjake (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 01:56 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was a moderator on RCO. I to also remember conversations with Art.
rcjake (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 04:16 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I was a member, then a moderator on RCOnline early on. I remember many of the people. I went from there, and was one of the first moderators on this site for about the first five years here when RCUniverse launched. My screen name was LordVader99 until I had it changed several years ago. There's a few of my old posts somewhere that are still listed with that screen name for some reason.

I definitely remember Art Grabow, AKA MgtMustang, actually had several phone conversations with him, he definitely liked to chat it up.... and Minnflyer (AKA Mike B).was another member that was a really nice helpful guy. Neither one are with us any more though unfortunately, There's many others that pop up that I recognize...

So yeah... I've been around the block no doubt. I'm pretty quiet here in the last several years. I still fly more then ever though and am actively involved in all sorts of RC media.
The following 2 users liked this post by DGrant:
bingo field (08-13-2020), rcjake (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 04:23 PM
rcjake

I remember chatting with a member in the Philippines that went by the name of Immungoy (sp?) There were others whose name escape me now.

I too had many chats with Art Grabow on the phone. He was a great guy and an American hero.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:36 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Does anyone remember how RCO ended?.... It's a vague memory for me, but I recall the owner was having fits, and troubles keeping the site going, and we were all having trouble using it, and at some point some guy from Hawaii actually seized the site and created turmoil for an already troubled site, and the owner couldn't get the rights to the site back. It was just about that time that this site RCU was launched by Marc Vigod,.. and RCO just died.

At some point this site(I'm not sure if it was still owned by Vigod), attained and absorbed what was left of RCO... and this site ultimately grew like wildfire. I remember gentlemans bets in the moderator forum as to what day it was going to hit 1000 members, then 2000, and so on... and I also remember it hitting 100,000 members... it was gaining several hundred members a day for quite a long time, and RCO was no longer to be. This site is nowhere near what it was though. There's still some of the moderators around, but I just got tired of it. I got tired of being called heavy handed, etc... when many of us were dealing with unruly users. I got PM's every day from people complaining about something. No more though... haha. .. and never again.
rcjake (08-11-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 10:19 AM
scottrc

I joined right before it folded, then came to RCU. I used to be on RCU everyday, now its about once every three months. Nothing is like it used to be, the whole hobby seems to have become commercial and impersonal. I fly nitro and balsa and not a lot of action in that part of the hobby anymore.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:57 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Still here....things have sure changed over the years!
Old 08-20-2020, 09:20 PM
Stikum

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I went by Teachu2 back then. Art and I took a youngster by the name of Radley under our collective wing. Kid lived in the L.A. area, family moved here from the Phillipines. Radley was a bit of a pest, but really wanted to get into R/C. Art sent me a NIB ARF trainer, and my summer school students assembled it. I donated a Hitec 4 channel radio and a 40 bushing two-stroke, along with a collection of field equipment. Radley and his father drove up and met me at the flying field. He got his first lesson on a buddy box and then got to take it all home.

Art and I tried to meet in person a couple of times, but never made it work - and then he was gone.

Trent Combs