Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Spray painting Momo or Ultrakote?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Spray painting Momo or Ultrakote?

Old 10-17-2020, 03:59 AM
Sti491

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spray painting Momo or Ultrakote?

I am repairing a Hangar 9 ARF P-51. It has very nice covering I assumed was Ultrakote, that is printed with riviets, panel lines, and the matte aluminum, matte black and a dull cream white color scheme. I understand when the model was current they sold the printed covering for the complete model, for repairs.

I am not so concerned about the panel lines an rivet markings, but I would like a reasonable match to the 3 matte colors. I’m fortunate to have Anderson Hobby near-bye. The have a large supply of coverings, but nothing in Mono or Ultrakote comes even close.

I have covered a lot of models, but never painted a covering, which is what’s needed here I think. I’m good at masking and spray painting... but what covering do I use, and how do you prepare it for painting? Any suggestion how to go about this?
Old 10-23-2020, 12:11 AM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I've painted over Ultracote. I prepped by masking the area off and using 0000 steel wool to take the shine off the covering so that the paint could adhere.
The following users liked this post:
Sti491 (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 01:14 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The steel wool works well, I wiped everything down with denatured alcohol before I painted with Warbird Colors paint. I think it turned out well, the paint has stuck for a couple of years. I don't remember if it was Mono or Ultracote that I shot it over though. I don't imagine there is a great difference between them as far as making paint stick. You will probably want to ensure that you are at a good point in shrinking it before you shoot. I haven't had to reshrink since I put it on. I went to an art store and bought a very fine point permanent marker to add lines and rivets with.

Last edited by bingo field; 10-23-2020 at 01:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sti491 (10-23-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 02:45 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Late to the party,, I wipe down with acetone, that will take off any oils or waxes that might remain and I also scuff the paint, 600 grit wet sand

both rattle can enamel and latex stick fine,,

good luck

Old 10-25-2020, 02:52 AM
Sti491

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you. Does it matter if it’s mono or Ultrakote? Any color will work?

Beautiful work!
Old 10-25-2020, 06:42 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any specific brand of Enamel? Just wondering since I can't get Warbird Colors anymore.

unpainted

painted

on the field
Old 10-25-2020, 08:09 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I strongly suggest a polyurethane paint that can flex when the covering wrinkles as it surely will sooner or later. Other paints that do not cure with some flexibility may flake off or delaminate when the wrinkles occur or when you reshrink them.