Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

LEDS for Shop/Garage

Old 04-10-2021, 03:06 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default LEDS for Shop/Garage

My shop/hobby room is my 2 car garage. Lighting has always been a hassle. I have 14 four foot fluorescents some old style ballast some newer electronic ballasts. I have been buying both 40 watt and 32 watt daylight tubes a real pita. I tried the plug and play led tubes but again I would have to have daylight or 5000K and I could not find a tube that worked with both types of ballast so I purchased one set and found these effected my radio reception. I spoke with several that experienced the same thing with the plug and play tubes (these use the old ballast).

I did some research looking for 5000K and 3000 lumens in an LED tube. The best deal was ballast bypass led tubes so I ordered 4 which was the minimum order and cut the ballast out and ran a hot wire to one end connected to all the wires at that end and the neutral wire to the other end resulting in straight 115 volt power to the tubes. I ordered a box of twelve tubes and have converted 8 fixtures to LEDs and what a difference much more light and no visual change in color indoors or out. Can't wait to get the rest of the bulbs in so I can change the rest over.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:45 AM
marlin847
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Led

Try these,
Amazon Amazon

Or these,

Amazon Amazon

Have to wire a little different still direct.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:16 AM
Propworn

L
Originally Posted by marlin847 View Post
I ordered mine from Amazon also ballast bypass but I chose 5000K Daylight LEDS. To my eyes these are closer to outside lighting range. 3200 Lumans for the 14 fixtures give me the closest thing to shadow less working environment. Rewired my old fixtures cost was just the two tubes and about 10 min work per fixture.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:34 AM
PopeyeCharlotte

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I skipped the bulb and just replaced the full units... too much of a hassle trying to figure out if the bulb or the fixture was broken. More expensive, but everything works.

Also, I painted the dark ceiling (osb plywood) white. Not a "million dollar" paint job - just rolled on one coat of the cheapest white in a 5-gallon bucket at HD. The paint reflects a lot of light, and it makes a huge difference in how bright the garage is.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:14 PM
Propworn

Can you change the bulbs in your led fixtures or are they a single array with a fixed number of leds as part of the whole fixture? In all cases in my hobby area I never had to take the fixture down. Just unplug it remove the old bulbs, remove the cover snip out the ballast. There are two ac wires coming in the fixture the ground was already connected. hot wire to one end neutral to the other end. Put cover back on install ballast bypass tubes and plug into power easy as can be. Why pay for a whole fixture that you cannot change the tubes if need be?????

Dennis
Old 04-12-2021, 12:47 PM
PopeyeCharlotte

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fair points - fully agree. My rational - I am not saying mine is right - is LEDs last a very long time. I have yet to replace any leads installed in the past 10 years.