Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

What the hell is going on with rc planes in 2021?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What the hell is going on with rc planes in 2021?

Old 10-30-2022, 11:48 PM
David John Davis

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Frost
I preffer electrics, nice and clean fun with no nasty noise disturbance. Trying to sell my last giant IC/twin, no bites at all, everybody is afraid of it by the response so far, giving it away at less than the cost of one of the '70FS, running like a Swiss watch. LOL.

Can't give it away!
Wimps!
Old 10-31-2022, 03:40 AM
easystar123

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Nice aircraft

Thats a nice looking plane. I would buy it myself if I hadn't so many in my Hangar at home here. What engines have you in the plane?
Old 10-31-2022, 01:36 PM
Joseph Frost

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

TX, certainly a bargain as fully fitted out with 12 servos, E-retracts upgrade, power by "OS'70's FS, not to mention a E-starter, glow drives, valve/taps kit and few other bits.
BTW, about 5 weeks ago while handling, turning the model on my own I have pulled my shoulder a bit, the pain didn't go away till another disaster yesty morn while slipping on the local boat ramp and badly falling backwards on the concreet pad with my shoulder taking most of the impact!
People probably don't realize how dangerous these boat ramps are, same thing happened to me 5 years ago and still didn't learn lesson to keep off it!!!!
That was only to wash the sand off my feet after beach flying.
(B-25 Mitchell, test run)

100" span at 8.5kg AUW.

Old 10-31-2022, 02:10 PM
easystar123

I'm sorry to hear that about your accident, I hope your shoulder heals and you make a good recovery.
Old 11-01-2022, 12:47 AM
Joseph Frost

TX, getting better day by day, could have been lot worse at 85 kilo slaming down on solid concrete backward! Even managed more progress on my latest design today.

Old 12-04-2022, 10:25 AM
chudly73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im a long time rc flyer and builder , id just like to see if anyone knows whats going on with sig mfg i cant really get much info about them not haveing anything in stock, my fear is that horizon is gonna buy them and dissolve the company ?
Old 12-16-2022, 02:05 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ALL the world governments have really stopped any truthful release of how much damage all the diseases are doing to ALL companies. Massive amounts of EXPERIENCED workers no longer able to work or train replacements.

We are mushrooms. Feed us lies & keep us in the dark. Works every time.

Good luck to all of us this winter.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:47 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sig's stock is slowly coming back. They have started to ship kits again. Call them or email them - don't rely on what the Sig website says. They had supply chain issues - there was (still is?) a worldwide shortage of balsa. Balsa is used for wind turbine blades.
Old 12-21-2022, 10:43 PM
Joseph Frost

If they use balsa in wind generator blades there must be 20-50 cubic meters of it in one set of blades, no wonder the local supplier is selling now "modeling wood" alternative which is 3X heavier than balsa!!! LOL.
Old 12-22-2022, 05:00 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclops2
ALL the world governments have really stopped any truthful release of how much damage all the diseases are doing to ALL companies. Massive amounts of EXPERIENCED workers no longer able to work or train replacements.

We are mushrooms. Feed us lies & keep us in the dark. Works every time.

Good luck to all of us this winter.
No, many are just sheep willing to follow the garbage excuses. "Damage all the diseases are doing"? Or damage the lies about the "diseases" are doing? "No longer able to work"? Or no desire to work since staying at home gets more money?
The following users liked this post:
Henpecked (12-25-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 03:32 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

Merry Christmas Everybody!

Old 12-23-2022, 05:47 AM
easystar123

Merry Christmas David and all fellow RC flyers. May 2023 be a healthy one and may it bring many Happy landings to one and all.
JPMacG (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 09:57 PM
Joseph Frost

Nothing to celebrate in this screwed up world, the coming year will be just an appetizer to the worst decade in human history, and total economy world-wide collapse, brace yourselves as much as you can, because there's no way out of it, and think 3 times before you make a decission who you going to vote for at next ellections, no matter where you live!!! LOL at what the human sheep created for themselves.
RCoffroadracer (12-29-2022)
Old 12-25-2022, 06:31 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Frost
Nothing to celebrate in this screwed up world, the coming year will be just an appetizer to the worst decade in human history, and total economy world-wide collapse, brace yourselves as much as you can, because there's no way out of it, and think 3 times before you make a decission who you going to vote for at next ellections, no matter where you live!!! LOL at what the human sheep created for themselves.
I've read the last chapter of The Book. I know how it ends.
RICKSTUBBZ (12-30-2022)
Old 12-25-2022, 04:39 PM
orcldba

Originally Posted by JPMacG
Sig's stock is slowly coming back. They have started to ship kits again. Call them or email them - don't rely on what the Sig website says. They had supply chain issues - there was (still is?) a worldwide shortage of balsa. Balsa is used for wind turbine blades.
I’ve been out of the hobby for 34 years. Since I’m retiring (yea?) I’ve been building some sheet foam planes (flite test specials) and my wife surprised me today with a Carbon Cub, I’ll see what else I can find since I have 2 transmitters already.
My last real biggie was a 79” scale P51. I ended up crashing it from 350’ in an Oklahoma wheat field when the wing bolts broke: even the motor crank was pushed out the back of the engine. Gave everything away; 72 mhz radios, engines, balsa stash, silk, dope, everything.
It’s time to get back in: have 2 semi RTF now, and 2 built up. The foam board isn’t pretty, but it works and I need to convert the Spitfire to retracts.

Last edited by orcldba; 12-25-2022 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2022, 12:43 PM
RCoffroadracer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Horizon hobby is strangling the hobby imho. I dont even want to buy planes from them. Theyre too big and need so much revenue to keep the lights on they discontinued all kinds of products that wasnt constantly being sold. They're just an investment firm being ran by wall street. Even their great YouTube shows arent being made anymore.

​​​​​​AS far as foam vs balsa planes, jets etc were unobtainable for 90% of us that many years ago. They are $10k for a fiberglass plane. So i welcome ready to fly foam planes. You get a lot for your money.

Sig was closed for a little because the owners retired. New owners are up and running but said getting sheets of balsa big enough for their kits has been the hold up. I totally get the nostalgia of building your own plane but be real, mist of us do not have the patience nor the skill it takes to do a good job. It also requires a huge investment of tools and a workshop big enough to scratch build on.
A lot of us dont have the time either. Plus all the kits are simple square box and boring looking planes.
Old 01-02-2023, 05:33 AM
David John Davis

[QUOTE=RCoffroadracer;12756716

​​​​​​..AS far as foam vs balsa planes, jets etc were unobtainable for 90% of us that many years ago. They are $10k for a fiberglass plane. So i welcome ready to fly foam planes. You get a lot for your money.

...I totally get the nostalgia of building your own plane but be real, mist of us do not have the patience nor the skill it takes to do a good job. It also requires a huge investment of tools and a workshop big enough to scratch build on.

A lot of us dont have the time either. Plus all the kits are simple square box and boring looking planes.[/QUOTE]

Well your last statement is simply not true. This is a kit of a Spitfire and there's hardly a straight line anywhere in the airframe. https://www.dbsportandscale.com/spit...kit-6502-p.asp

As for you not having the skills, none of us was born with the skills to build a model aeroplane, somebody taught us. In my case it was my uncle.You could learn too if you had the time and the enthusiasm and someone willing to teach you. You don't need a "huge investment of tools...." A balsa knife, balsa saw, straight edge and cutting mat would see you able to build a simple model.

Lack of time? We all have time, it's a question of how we chose to use that time. I accept that some of us have family commitments which must always come first and which limits building time but most of us find the space within the family to knock off the odd model and to pass on our skills to the next generation. If they're interested...

Aye, there's the rub, the interest in building model aircraft is diminishing because it's so easy to buy an ARTF. When I first started in the hobby, if you wanted a model aeroplane you had to build it. I've a couple of ARTFs and enjoyed flying a few ARTF electric foamies but frankly, in the end I found them boring. There was no emotional connection to the mode. It was exactly the same as thousands of others produced in China. Let me assure you that nothing compares to the satisfaction which you get watching something that you have built and covered, flying through the air on its maiden flight even if it is just a simple boring box like the one I'm in the process of finishing. You get to chose your own colour scheme too. https://forums.modelflying.co.uk/ind...comment-924975

Last edited by David John Davis; 01-02-2023 at 05:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by David John Davis:
gow589 (01-02-2023), Henpecked (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 06:38 AM
gottabeme
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amen to that Dave. Don't think anyone here could have said it any better.
Old 01-02-2023, 02:40 PM
RCoffroadracer

Originally Posted by David John Davis
Well your last statement is simply not true. This is a kit of a Spitfire and there's hardly a straight line anywhere in the airframe. https://www.dbsportandscale.com/spit...kit-6502-p.asp

As for you not having the skills, none of us was born with the skills to build a model aeroplane, somebody taught us. In my case it was my uncle.You could learn too if you had the time and the enthusiasm and someone willing to teach you. You don't need a "huge investment of tools...." A balsa knife, balsa saw, straight edge and cutting mat would see you able to build a simple model.

Lack of time? We all have time, it's a question of how we chose to use that time. I accept that some of us have family commitments which must always come first and which limits building time but most of us find the space within the family to knock off the odd model and to pass on our skills to the next generation. If they're interested...

Aye, there's the rub, the interest in building model aircraft is diminishing because it's so easy to buy an ARTF. When I first started in the hobby, if you wanted a model aeroplane you had to build it. I've a couple of ARTFs and enjoyed flying a few ARTF electric foamies but frankly, in the end I found them boring. There was no emotional connection to the mode. It was exactly the same as thousands of others produced in China. Let me assure you that nothing compares to the satisfaction which you get watching something that you have built and covered, flying through the air on its maiden flight even if it is just a simple boring box like the one I'm in the process of finishing. You get to chose your own colour scheme too. https://forums.modelflying.co.uk/ind...comment-924975
everything in that link is boring looking. sorry. some day I will build one just so I can say I've built one. the plans you can pick up free most of the time. just gotta have it printed full scale like you did. this is more my style of RC flying https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...t-pnp-fj31611p

Last edited by RCoffroadracer; 01-02-2023 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:38 PM
David John Davis

Originally Posted by RCoffroadracer
everything in that link is boring looking. sorry. some day I will build one just so I can say I've built one. the plans you can pick up free most of the time. just gotta have it printed full scale like you did. this is more my style of RC flying https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...t-pnp-fj31611p
Very nice, but rather expensive.

I suppose that you are referring to my Guidato build as "boring looking" not the link to the Spitfire kit. I've never heard a Spitfire described in that way.

They say that recognising your limitations is a sign of maturity. If so then I'm a mature adult. Even though I have built many models, a large Spitfire is something I might struggle with, besides, at seventy-four I may well drop dead before I finish the model! So if funds permit, I may well buy Motion Rc's large foamy electric powered Spitfire so I'm not dead set against ARTFs. However, the sense of achievement and satisfaction I get from assembling an ARTF is not as great as that of building a model from the plan, choosing my own wood, making little modifications and choosing my own colour scheme if it's a sports model and my own prototype if it's a scale model.

I'm pleased that you are planning to build your own model. I think you will find the process satisfying. I'd recommend something fairly simple as your first model, a Stik for example if vintage and old timer models are too "boring" for you.

I chose to build the Guidato for several reasons. I am a club-level approved instructor in two countries and the Guidato is intended to be a basic trainer for nervous elderly beginners to fly on the buddy box on calm days. It was first published as a plan in 1957 when I was nine years old. I have always admired its quirky snub-nosed lines and tricycle undercarriage besides unlike Quaker Flashes, Lanzo Bombers and British Super 60s of which there are thousands, I have never seen a Guidato in the wood as it were. I've only ever seen two photographs of the model so when mine is ready, it will be unique. That appeals to me.

PS. The plans were downloaded from "The Outerzone" https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7378

Last edited by David John Davis; 01-02-2023 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:32 PM
Joseph Frost

"2021" is well gone, but after seeing what some are asking for RC junk on RCT in "2023", all I can only say , good luck you silly fools, LOL.
Old 01-06-2023, 02:54 AM
Johnwatsonusa

Everything in that link appears to be dull. sorry. I'll build one someday just to say I've done it. Most of the time, you can pick up the plans for free.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:54 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by David John Davis

You can certainly learn how to build a model airplane but that's not having the skills to build it true. Just like you can learn to drive a car, even race one, but that's not having the skills to win. Skills are innate capabilities, not something you can learn. The only thing you can learn about skills is that you have some and what you can do with them.
Old 02-18-2023, 10:03 AM
RCoffroadracer

I think a lot of the problem is there seems to be a "investor" problem going on here like every industry. these sharks have caused everything to come to a halt. the industry in america can no longer continue as a hobby. it has to be ran like a car company where it's not acceptable to sell 100 planes, they have to sell 10k a month or it get the axe.
if it weren't for china, this hobby would be extinct you can bet the farm on that fact. everything we use today is made there because every american and japanese made product we used to use is almost out of business or is. Futaba is about to be the next JR. zero hobby stores sell Futaba products where I live. Hitec is almost there too. they already stopped making radios. and their chargers are just rebranded SkyRc products. there are almost zero Hitec products being sold either.

Last edited by RCoffroadracer; 02-18-2023 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-19-2023, 03:28 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm still surprised that someone should regard a Spitfire as "boring."
The following 2 users liked this post by Telemaster Sales UK:
gow589 (02-19-2023), plumberdeluxe (05-05-2023)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.