Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

What the hell is going on with rc planes in 2021?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What the hell is going on with rc planes in 2021?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 06:33 AM
gow589
My Feedback: (1)

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RCoffroadracer
I think a lot of the problem is there seems to be a "investor" problem going on here like every industry. these sharks have caused everything to come to a halt. the industry in america can no longer continue as a hobby. it has to be ran like a car company where it's not acceptable to sell 100 planes, they have to sell 10k a month or it get the axe.
if it weren't for china, this hobby would be extinct you can bet the farm on that fact. everything we use today is made there because every american and japanese made product we used to use is almost out of business or is. Futaba is about to be the next JR. zero hobby stores sell Futaba products where I live. Hitec is almost there too. they already stopped making radios. and their chargers are just rebranded SkyRc products. there are almost zero Hitec products being sold either.
There are still countless plans and kits to build from. When I started, people built from plans out of magazines routinely. The interest is not there.
The following users liked this post:
David John Davis (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 03:28 PM
Joseph Frost

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

What's going on with RC planes in 2023??? I have never seen so many new listings FOR SALE!!! They coming up just like mushies after the rain, and the money some are asking? LOL.
Incubation of a major depression is right here, I can smell it, LOL.
Even I'm selling few to make a space for more of my new creations, as on pic.

The GIANT Herc has to go for more fun with these.

Giant has to go!

Had enough of "Marry-Go-Around".
Old 05-05-2023, 03:03 AM
plumberdeluxe
My Feedback: (209)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I’m going to the shop to work on my 14th balsa and glow powered plane this year. I hope everybody on here finds their own personal hobby happy place. Mine is at the table creating stuff like this and spending time flying my stuff. I got 11 flights yesterday and 5 the day before in 25 mph winds. Cheers gentlemen!

Old 05-05-2023, 03:23 AM
David John Davis

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts
Default I've got an STM too!

...but mine is with the earlier Karl-Heinz Denzin wing with the so-called Barn Door ailerons. Laser 91 up. The in-flight picture shows it when it was fitted with a Thunder Tiger 91 FS.

Last edited by David John Davis; 05-05-2023 at 03:26 AM.
Old 05-05-2023, 03:36 AM
plumberdeluxe
My Feedback: (209)

Here’s mine with little brother….

gow589 (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 10:04 AM
David John Davis

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

This is the little brother of my STM.

Old 05-06-2023, 06:02 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Boring? Depends on what you are interested in.

Sometimes the most boring looking planes are the most exciting to fly, while the most exciting looking planes turn out to be stupid boring to fly. Eye candy always sells!

No one is born with building skills and you don’t need anyone to teach you how to build. It is one of those things you can learn by reading and doing. Many of us started building with very simple planes and worked our way up to more complex projects over the course of a lifetime. Today it seems most people lack the patience and focus to build and therefore miss out on the part of the hobby that can be enjoyed at times when flying is not practical.

Old 05-11-2023, 06:02 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am enjoying the past couple of pages of balsa building.
Old 05-11-2023, 06:36 AM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Smile

Originally Posted by plumberdeluxe
I’m going to the shop to work on my 14th balsa and glow powered plane this year. I hope everybody on here finds their own personal hobby happy place. Mine is at the table creating stuff like this and spending time flying my stuff. I got 11 flights yesterday and 5 the day before in 25 mph winds. Cheers gentlemen!

Hmmm.....where did that Classic come from?

Funny how "trainers" are always something we come back to to relax and enjoy flying. Here is my Trainer 60 I've been out flying is calmer winds.
Not much trainer about it.

This Orange Telemaster 40 was only $120 local pick up (no engine) so I mounted an OS SF 46 on it, and it flies great. Check out those vintage wheels!
With the sun in the right direction, you can't miss the chrome leading edge on landings. Tail dragger is the only way to go!

I sold some balsa wood, Monokote covering irons, and a sanding bar, $230 in a day to recycle back into the hobby and Saturday, I pick up an Ultra Sport 40 with a Rossi 53 w/ pipe on it, $230, receiver ready.
The engine or the kit sells for about that, so what a bargain I thought. I'm sure I'll be pleased with the workmanship and hours someone else had put into building the US 40,
and I'll be focused on the flying chores instead, because in CA they say balsa dust leads to cancer, so you can never be too safe!
Old 05-18-2023, 05:53 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I re-entered the hobby in 2020, after a 6yrs break. (divorce)

I wanted a trainer to get my thumbs loosened up again, but an addiction to gasoline 2-stroke engines gave me no choices for a kit or ARF large enough. (SIG giant Rascal ain't worth half what they're asking for it so that wasnt an option) I decided to enlarge a Sig Kadet Senior to 106 inches. It's 125% of the original. I took the measurements and transferred them to new drafting paper. Drew it out and started cutting. It's not done, but it did spark me to get back into building. I've been flying a scratch built 80" Stick and a couple foamys.

On the building board:
Midwest Super Stinker biplane
Direct Connection Doddger Q500

In the que:
Whyte Wings 90" Piper Pawnee
Lanier 1/3 scale Extra

You CAN build whatever you want to build. You just gotta WANT it and DO it.

Yoda (Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope)
"There is no try. Only do."

Old 05-18-2023, 04:22 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

.. Chris... is this you ???
Old 05-18-2023, 05:24 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyboy Dave
.. Chris... is this you ???
yep
I responded to your PM a few days ago. How ya be?
Old 05-18-2023, 06:34 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm fine... I just got back to the hobby as well... I just shot you an e-mail... replies and such 'are sketchy
here on RCU it seems.
Rcpilot (05-18-2023)