Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Insurance

Old 10-15-2021, 10:42 AM
acugnini

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Insurance

We know that AMA membership includes liability insurance coverage for aerial operations. It would be useful to start a discussion on alternatives, for those who don't want to join the AMA. (BTW, no need for the "Why not join" discussion here.)

Although some sources have suggested that homeowner's insurance might cover liability, I suspect that most policies exclude it (as does mine).

Any information out there?

-- agc
Old 10-15-2021, 02:30 PM
tedsander

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Each company varies. Mine exempted aircraft a few years ago, but specifically noted that this does not mean models. I haven't checked to see if that has changed since then. For policies I had years ago, it was pretty simple to add a rider specifically including risk due to model aviation, which I did. The cost came when increasing the coverage to higher limits. Clubs could likely do the same with a "commercial" policy covering them and the site owner. Something to ask your agent about when it is renewal time, or you are shopping for coverage. And yes, there are companies that just flat out deny coverage for anything that flies.
For many years the AMA coverage has been secondary to any primary homeowners insurance (with coverage) that may exist. Have not confirmed the current state, but it would make sense as it would reduce their cost to do so.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:51 PM
rgburrill

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by acugnini View Post
We know that AMA membership includes liability insurance coverage for aerial operations. It would be useful to start a discussion on alternatives, for those who don't want to join the AMA. (BTW, no need for the "Why not join" discussion here.)

Although some sources have suggested that homeowner's insurance might cover liability, I suspect that most policies exclude it (as does mine).

Any information out there?

-- agc
Many years ago I joined the AMA for two reasons-1) the insurance and 2) the fields I knew about required it. Today a third reason comes along -the FAA requires a "Community Based Organization" and the AMA is the only one they acknowledge so far. So if you aren't planning on flying at a field that requires it and don't give a hoot about the law, or think the excuse you are flying within the rules of a CBO without belonging to one will hold water, why bother with insurance?
OTOH if you are thinking Part 107 then remember that is commercial and commercial insurance is a lot more expensive.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:01 PM
Plumcrazy Preston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a piece of the rock?
Old 10-26-2021, 08:49 AM
carlgrover

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Years ago there was another place to get insurance from that tried to compete with the AMA. I don't remember what it was called but it was started by a group of lawyers. I think they advertised in the rc magazines. There was some discussion about them on all the forums. They folded after roughly two years. Someone around here will remember what they called themselves.

carl
Old 10-26-2021, 09:58 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

SFA
Sport Flyers Association i believe
Old 10-26-2021, 10:32 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Yeah,, If I remember right they tried to sue to be accepted at AMA fields and events and lost, so with nowhere to really use it it became useless insurance
Old 10-26-2021, 02:06 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

there has been at least 2 other attempts since the old SFA folded.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:17 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo View Post
there has been at least 2 other attempts since the old SFA folded.
The SFA has been the only active/operational organization with paying membership and a few operational fields. There was no operational recognition between the two organizations, SFA and AMA. Lawsuits, internal disagreements and financial problems unfortunatly hastened the end of this fledgling organization. The other two attempts never got much beyond the idea phase no membership no actual stand alone flying fields, nowhere near the development of the SFA. One could hardly consider these to be serious attempts at a competing organization. After the SFA's demise I think any fledgling organization is going to have a difficult time establishing a foothold.

There were more than a few in Canada keeping close eye on the SFA's development some even in touch inquiring about the possibility of expanding into Canada.

Last edited by Propworn; 10-27-2021 at 05:54 AM.