Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Work bench Table Top

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 09:08 AM
ohnow
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Work bench Table Top

Hi There,Hoping to take advantage of Cyber Monday. I'm considering picking up this electric sit/stand desk frame for my workshop, as I have trouble bending, sitting and standing. I'm not sure what to use as a table top?
https://www.btod.com/btod-vertdesk-v3-base

I heard a tip long ago saying hollow or foam core doors can make cheap, flat, disposable table tops. Maybe something like this but, I would think hollow doors could bow in the middle over time.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Woodgrain-2...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I rarely build, but even checking CG or balancing props needs a flat, level surface. I'm getting into larger scale planes so my current table is becoming a bit too small at 30"x60"x1". Any ideas?

And, I'd like to get it with locking castors. I wonder if I would need a way to make small adjustments to the top to level it since it uses two synced motors?

Also could use some advice on any rolling, pneumatic, padded stools?
Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts!
Old 11-29-2021, 09:18 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I use a solid core door with Homasote screwed down to the door. Very heavy but makes the table very sturdy. I am 70 in fairly good shape but I need a helping hand to put the top in place. The Homasote holds pins better than anything else I have used. It also works great when wood working as it does not mark or damage surfaces, edges and corners. When the surface gets too damaged just flip it over and use the other side.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:00 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a well used Hollow core door, same table used for about 12 years, simple 2x4 base, has stayed straight as far as I can tell,

I recently added a second door so it's about 64" wide for working on large planes

The following users liked this post:
flyalan (12-07-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 03:37 PM
ohnow

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
I have a well used Hollow core door, same table used for about 12 years, simple 2x4 base, has stayed straight as far as I can tell,

I recently added a second door so it's about 64" wide for working on large planes

Cool! I've thought about have two smaller tables but going with the electric option it feels like it would be too complicated. Thanks for posting!
Old 01-14-2022, 10:59 AM
OldCrawler

Location: Hinckley Leicestershire, Moved here 18 months ago from Portsmouth.
Default Free Table

If you join Freegle there are always people wanting to give away old(dark Wood) tables, several times I have had really good solid wood table's
You can also get large pieces of kitchen work top
Old 01-14-2022, 01:05 PM
OldCrawler

Location: Hinckley Leicestershire, Moved here 18 months ago from Portsmouth.
Default Free Table

If you join Freegle there are always people wanting to give away old(dark Wood) tables, several times I have had really good solid wood table
Old 01-14-2022, 01:22 PM
ohnow

Originally Posted by OldCrawler
If you join Freegle there are always people wanting to give away old(dark Wood) tables, several times I have had really good solid wood table
Fantastic, thank you! So glad you posted. I don't think there's a Freegle by Atlanta?

I received my bases and I've taken the legs off my current table. I need to figure out a plan to put supporting boards under the desk top. The legs and the motor will be screwed into the supports. I almost posted a pics for suggestions after I learned how expensive wood is now!

But, to save weight and cost, I think I have spare planks I can use and I won't have to go the whole distance of the desk since there are already cross beams for the drawers.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:16 PM
Raleighcopter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used 3/4" ply and.2x4 for mine
The following users liked this post:
ohnow (01-18-2022)