Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Interesting Modelling Garage Sale Find

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Interesting Modelling Garage Sale Find

Old 04-22-2022, 05:51 AM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interesting Modelling Garage Sale Find

Hi Everyone;
While out driving around this past weekend, and stopping at a few, [or more], garage/yard sales, stumbled onto something real interesting. On an older rural property, not run down but old, was an estate sale taking place by family members; and I am always on the lookout for old tools, etc. Well, there was an old barn type garage-utility shed, and over to one side, under a work bench constructed of 2x10s, was a small pile of old lumber, and on the top of this pile were some dusty-dirty model airplane kits or such, virtually untouched, so, I/we had to have a look see......Oh Boy?

There were 4 kits I guess, stacked one on top of another on this old lumber, with very active and damaging termite damage. The termites had really done a thorough feasting job on the lumber, plus onto and into the first 2 kits. The first kit turned out to be an old Midwest ARISTA-Cat kit, kitbox and plans thoroughly destroyed, but the kit box label and most of the balsa wood and hardware OK, with lots termite chewies adhered to them, a rea mess.....possibly restorable. The next kit was a Midwest Whiz Kid, kit box again destroyed, but label, plans and kit contents AOK, the termites loved da box but hated the molded foam wing and stab, and the contents seemed to be all there....kit easily buildable. The third kit just had minor damage to the one end of the kit box and on the bottom; it was a Dumas STAR 45 Sailboat, and the kit contents seemed to be fully in tact.....AOK for building, [if I were in to sailboats]. The last kit on top of the pile was a real surprise, undamaged and unmolested by the termites at all, it was a small WILDFIRE BIPE kit, by Techical Model Products Co. in virtual mint condition, plans wood and all.....AOK again.

Short story long, #1 and only Wifey, The Shirl, purchased some fabric and sewing stuff for her quilting hobby, I purhased a few hand tools: a nice old hand saw, a small sledge hammer, and hatchet; and yes, I made an offer for the miserable looking pile of 4 damaged and dusty-dirty old kits of $5......and got them! Yeah! for Little Joey!

On checking my plans/magazine archives: I had the plans for Bud Atkinson's ARISA-CAT kit, + his design-construction article in an old '64 Model Airplane News mag; the WHIZ KID was published in RCM magaine 12/66; I do not know much about the Dumas STAR 45 sailboat, other than there is a sailboat class for it with the American Model Yachting Association; and as for the little WILDFIRE BIPE, I cannot find any information on it, other that magazine ads from long ago, but, it is so cute looking, I am going to build it in the not too far distant future. If anyone has info/or has built/flown the WILDFIRE Bipe, please let me hear of you experiences.

Will close for now, and as you can see, lifes' experiences in our strange'o'late times can be good. Hoping you enjoyed my garage sale adventure, best regards from very warm Wickenburg, Arizona,

Joe Nagy.