Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Just put together a Seagull Boomerang with .46 cu.in (7.45cc) engine.

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Just put together a Seagull Boomerang with .46 cu.in (7.45cc) engine.

Old 07-07-2022, 01:06 PM
2W0EPI

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just put together a Seagull Boomerang with .46 cu.in (7.45cc) engine.

Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd mention my buying rc planes and equipment has measured up. The first thing with the Boomerang 2 is nothing fits, everything is a struggle vague instruction manual etc just hard going, Also, the servo tray wooden cut outs were not the right size, I had to shave 2mm of plywood depth and you can't use a file because of constraint spaces.

I would say the most heart dropping episode happened when I had to match up and drill 4 holes in the engine mount(nylon), also when I completed the build today the trike system wouldnt balance so I ended up having to fit a tail dragger wheel to its back end, which was very challenging, it took me 1/2 a day to sort out.

However, despite having many issues the quality of finished model is quite good, I rejected rtf(electric) as being too easy, My engine choice was a Force .46 cu.in, about the best bang for buck. I'm already thinking of going 2 stroke gas/petrol as this would halve the fuel costs for a slight reduction in performance and possibly an alternative second battery?
Old 07-08-2022, 12:00 PM
2W0EPI

I thought the two front wheels were a bit hard, I reckon the most difficult thing with rc flying, is landing. As a result, I ordered some soft rubber/foam wheels which I have fitted them to my plane and I'm not sure whether it will help landings? They are quite softer than the wheels supplied with the Seagull 40 trainer kit.
Old 07-08-2022, 02:39 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 2W0EPI
I reckon the most difficult thing with rc flying, is landing.
Yup. Takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory.
Old 07-08-2022, 08:54 PM
David John Davis

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

I have exactly the same model fitted with a Thunder Tiger 46 PRO but I had none of the problems with the assembly which you had and mine has the tricycle undercarriage. I don't consider removing 2mm of plywood that difficult and you can use a small file in a confined space with short strokes. Having said that I built my first model aeroplane at the age of eleven and I'm seventy-four now so I've benefited from a fair bit of experience but at least you've managed to assemble the model ready for flight despite some difficulties.

I wouldn't bother trying to convert a simple 46 two stroke engine.if I were you. What you save on the cost of fuel you lose on the cost of conversion and engines below about 20cc ( a120) don't seem to convert well.

You don't say what flying experience you have but if you've never flown a balsa and ply model please let a more experienced pilot fly the maiden flight for you. Better still, join a club if you're not already in one, that way an instructor can take you up on linked transmitters, the so called buddy box and he will be able to take over control when you make a mistake. Flying a model aircraft is not as easy as it looks and even if you can already fly an electric powered foamy, the Boomerang has a much heavier wing loading and flies quite a bit faster. That said, its semi-symmetrical wing section allows it to fly in quite a breeze.

Picture below of Your Humble Servant on the right with the Seagull Boomerang after its maiden flight.

The following users liked this post:
2W0EPI (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 12:51 AM
2W0EPI

Originally Posted by David John Davis
I wouldn't bother trying to convert a simple 46 two stroke engine.if I were you. What you save on the cost of fuel you lose on the cost of conversion and engines below about 20cc ( a120) don't seem to convert well.

You don't say what flying experience you have but if you've never flown a balsa and ply model please let a more experienced pilot fly the maiden flight for you. Better still, join a club if you're not already in one,
Yep, agreed, I will stick to nitro for the time being, I have never flown rc before but I do intend joining a club and receiving expert help in flying.

Old 07-09-2022, 02:36 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by 2W0EPI
Yep, agreed, I will stick to nitro for the time being, I have never flown rc before but I do intend joining a club and receiving expert help in flying.
Well done.

You give no indication of your age or location but in my experience younger beginners learn more quickly than retired beginners and by joining a club you'll get the added advantage of the insurance.

Have you already bought your radio? If not it would be a good idea to visit several clubs near to your home, to join the club you like the most and to buy the same make of radio which the instructors are using on their trainers. There's lots of choice these days.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:55 AM
2W0EPI

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Well done.
You give no indication of your age or location.
I'm 57 years old and located in North Wales U.K., I have never flown before but I have set up all my servo/flaps which is given me a good idea of how to control my aircraft in flight.

When I do visit my club, for the first time, I do not expect to fly but rather let a more experienced club member to do the maiden flight.

My radio system is a Futaba 6L sport which impresses the hell out of me, all my 4 servo's(no name brand) are working the flaps and engine throttle.

Last edited by 2W0EPI; 07-09-2022 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-10-2022, 03:13 AM
David John Davis

Do you know where your nearest club is?

If not this will help: https://bmfa.justgo.com/clubFinder.html
Old 07-10-2022, 04:01 AM
2W0EPI

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by David John Davis
Do you know where your nearest club is?
Yes, I can pull them up from the web, they are not that far away, visiting my local club is the next step in my rc jigsaw puzzle.Also, I'm looking forward to it just for the human contact alone.

Last edited by 2W0EPI; 07-10-2022 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-10-2022, 10:01 AM
2W0EPI

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Have you already bought your radio? If not it would be a good idea to visit several clubs near to your home, to join the club you like the most and to buy the same make of radio which the instructors are using on their trainers.
Well, I have bought and chosen the Futaba 6l sport, it is with out doubt that Futaba know there stuff?, so originally I figured out only 4 channels is all that is needed to fly a nitro plane, so I further figured that 'what I lose on the roundabouts we gain from the swings' which means pile all the unnecessary channels together, buying the 6 channel Futuba 6l has given me one channel extra(not in use), so why do I need 10 or 16 channels seems like what the hell are trying to formulate or control there? The other f6l factor is it does not have a digital display, typically a 128x64 lcd screen whereby all the switches are done with menu's yes/no decision push buttons, you pay for this convenience, at your finger tips, the F6l is simple and easy to learn. I can further get potentially stable level flight with free sticks, except to the throttle which will be approx. centre stick travel.I can then fine tune my level flight with f6l sport using its available up or down sliders( I think they are just zero adjustments.?)

Incidentally, my F6L does have 'instructor' jack socket on its back rear.

Last edited by 2W0EPI; 07-10-2022 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:47 PM
David John Davis

I'm sure you'll find lots of kindred spirits at your local club and an experienced instructor to help you.

Futaba are the Volkswagen of radios, a long-established company with a reputation for quality so I'm sure that you'll find someone with a Futaba set who is willing to take you up. If not, many clubs have their own trainers and buddy box set ups. When I lived in Shropshire for example, my club had two electric and one i/c trainer with master and slave transmitters in both Mode 1 and Mode 2.

Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.
Old 10-31-2022, 04:52 AM
easystar123

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Good luck

Good luck also with your Boomerang, I hope you found a club and I hope you are doing well at your flying? I also have a Boomerang and enjoy flying it. I have a Saito 62 on board mine simply because I love the sound. My radio is Futaba and I havnt changed in 36 years, so you have picked a good one.