Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hot glue gun use.

Old 07-31-2022, 12:19 AM
Joseph Frost

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Hot glue gun use.

While cleaning my work studio I came across couple of 'glue guns' (small 15W & larger 60W) that I have owned at least 25 years but never used them in any application. Out of curiosity I have hooked both of them and tried on few small Depron pieces. Took a bit of time before they both heated up for use and seem to work great but I have few questions to regular users of these gadgets.
I'm thinking of using it in one of my next projects where I have to join larger area of 6mm Depron, at knife edge lets say 150 to 180cm long joints. I'm concerned that by the time I apply it along, the glue stick will cool down at the beginning stage, and I don't like to do it in smaller sections for practicality.
Are there actually sticks that may retain liquid state longer or what is normally the time limit to get reliable bond? Any tips most welcome. TX.

Last edited by Joseph Frost; 07-31-2022 at 12:23 AM.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:11 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd say practice on some scraps of some sort. Hot melt sticks are cheap cheap. I'd also say the low watt gun is the low-temp, to be used on more sensitive materials, and the high watt is for robust gluing... each uses different glue sticks. When using hot melt, there are at least a few seconds or more of workable time, and it can come out really clean with practice. Great for foamy building. I'd say too the low temp should be what you need for Depron, especially thinner 3mm type.... but yeah practice up. You'll like it.

Google and/or YouTube search "hot melt glue gun use" and you'll definitely get some information and demo videos. Also look up Flite Test(they're on FaceBook too), and they use hot melt quite a bit.

In my opinion hot melt isn't for wood structures, but lends itself very well to foam/depron/cardboard/cardstock and those types of applications, even fabrics of some sorts.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:35 PM
Joseph Frost

Practice comes handy in every aspect, but I was hoping for more speciffics to my questions. Time wise! or type of sticks retaining liquid state longer? My intention is to use it only with 6mm Depron on long joints up to 2 meters in one go! My concern is also the weight, compared to Epoxy I normally use in these scenarios.
I'll do bit more search on YT to check some videos, a good tip.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:21 PM
DGrant

Ok, hope you find your info. I'm not sure if there's any particular easy answers to your working time question, as alot of that is directly related to your environment. Obviously a warmer environment will yield longer work times just by the inherent nature of the glue, and colder climates will set the glue faster, for obvious reasons. So therein is where you might practice and see what's possible based on your very environment. In the winter you won't have as much working time as in summer. If done in a warmer shop(no air conditioning, etc) in the summer you'll probably have several more seconds of working time. You'll do fine, and definitely check the videos. In any case its super simple and cheap to use, and I think you will be able to use it as you're intending once you find the right technique and such.
Old 08-18-2022, 04:36 PM
bisco

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

you need a high temp gun and glue for long joints, and then clamp and hold for a minute or two.

high temp glue won't melt in a low temp gun.

for glue gun help, look to josh bixler and flite test on youtube

Old 08-18-2022, 08:05 PM
Joseph Frost

After looking at numerous video tips on use there was nothing I could learn,they were very basic instructions. I didn't check the hotter gun use yet, but after looking closer into it I rather stick with my old use of Epoxy, giving me lot more time (5-10 min.) for precision adjustments of long Depron section placement, which is very critical in my construction, also it is lighter than the mess with the glue sticks which can't be sanded after setting with out damaging the delicate soft Depron. So it would be totally inpractical for my use.
The following users liked this post:
bisco (08-19-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 01:04 PM
DGrant

This stuff works great on Depron and the likes... I used it quite a bit when I was building foamies.... precise foamies that is....

UHU POR Glue | HobbyKing
Old 08-24-2022, 03:42 PM
Joseph Frost

Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
This stuff works great on Depron and the likes... I used it quite a bit when I was building foamies.... precise foamies that is....

UHU POR Glue | HobbyKing
Yes I know, I have done bit of experimenting last few weeks to find out how practical it is in my scenrious to build huge 2 to 3+ meter foamies. I have found sparing use of 5,15 and 30 min. Epoxy lot more workable, I also use in some sections "Foam2Foam" friendly to Modeling foam and Depron.
What is the largest Depron build you have used it on? These are few of mine using Epoxy. (pics)

I found Hot glue gun totaly unpractical in complex builds like this.

Slow cure required for precission.

Depron 18Kw Giant in making.

Finished project with 6 to 8 kilos of lipos.

Last edited by Joseph Frost; 08-24-2022 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:01 PM
DGrant

Those are some nice foam planes!! Very crafty indeed. I've not built anything near that big with Depron. I have built several wood builders kits though, up to 43%(126" wingspan/200cc engine). The largest foamie I've ever built though was probably 40" wingspan.... haha. Therein is where I've used hot-melt, and other types of glues of course. I'm a long time builder though of all sorts of stuff.

I'm pretty sure you're doing fine for what you need if you're creating such works of art. I know there's alot of people making crazy cool models from all sorts of foam. Best wishes with your planes, they're very nice! It's understandable why you need a glue that will do long runs, and yeah I see where the hot-melt wouldn't be an optimum glue for airframe assembly. Small stuff yeah, but not your monster foam stuff.
Old 12-20-2022, 06:59 PM
Area 8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I glue everything. Some sticks seem to dry harder than others.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:38 PM
Joseph Frost

After some further experimentation I have found use of heat glue gun totaly unpractical in use with modeling foam/Depron, in my building process. Sparing use of Epoxy, Foam2Foam and white glue mix with Micro ballons to finish off any gaps works so much better from my experience.

My current project using my traditional bond agents, Epoxy, F2F and white glue mix to thicken it up with powders.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:49 AM
loran32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aside from industrial uses of hot glue, glue guns are used in small joint attachment, surface lamination, and other product assembly applications in appliances, HVAC units, and mattresses. Glue guns can also be used to adhere to small joints in furniture assembly and woodworking projects.