Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Flying RC After long hiatus, need advice on a couple things

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Flying RC After long hiatus, need advice on a couple things

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 07:04 AM
Gunner1068
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying RC After long hiatus, need advice on a couple things

Hello everyone. I've been away from flying for several years and I'm going to start flying again. Since I've been gone there has been a lot of changes in technology and I'm debating a few things:
1. Radio. I have an old Futaba radio with collapsible antenna. It was the premier radio baxk in the 90's and early 2000's. Id like to switch to a newer system and looking for input. I fly both airplanes and helicopters so I'm looking for 8 ch systems.
2. Engines. I have several engines that have never seen fuel, brand new in box. Thinking of switching to electric before I install power plants in my planes. What brands are best for reliability and

Last edited by Gunner1068; 08-01-2022 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:28 AM
Joseph Frost

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

By the sound of it your several year absense seems more like several decades! New computer radios are very cheap these days especially if you buy it S/H on RC/traders. You can also buy dual module at the back of your old tranny, so you can easilly switch from the good old SPCM to 2.4 modulation and make a good use of old receivers, (subj. to Range checks) I do it daily with couple of my 20 YO, 9ch. MX22's. I find superior to some new brands.
If you like to invest in new TX, go for more channels, at least 9-12 always comming handy further on.
IC engines in RC models will be soon a museum exhibits the way the things are going, get rid of it, sell it, while there are still few fools to buy them, LOL, go E-power, it is clean, quiet , more power and hassle free, just plug it in and fly. Too many to choose from now days, go for better brands, I use lot of Eflite, AXI, Hacker, Scorpion, Dualsky etc. that don't brake your pocket ballance.
Start with the smaller gear like 32 to 46 size equivalent to IC and go from there. When you look further into it you can buy lot of combos, motor/ESC to match and batteries of any voltage or capacity to suit.
Before 2000, I was 100% IC, nowdays 3% by my latest de-commission of Kero powered jet.

After flogging this out of date gear,

it bought me this and 5kilos of more thrust.

Just plug it in and enjoy.

Last edited by Joseph Frost; 08-02-2022 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 12:17 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunner1068
Hello everyone. I've been away from flying for several years and I'm going to start flying again. Since I've been gone there has been a lot of changes in technology and I'm debating a few things:
1. Radio. I have an old Futaba radio with collapsible antenna. It was the premier radio baxk in the 90's and early 2000's. Id like to switch to a newer system and looking for input. I fly both airplanes and helicopters so I'm looking for 8 ch systems.
2. Engines. I have several engines that have never seen fuel, brand new in box. Thinking of switching to electric before I install power plants in my planes. What brands are best for reliability and
Shorter answers that really deserve very long ones:
1. Spektrum (similar to old JR) and Futaba are the two big main line brands. Several others in a lesser market position but highly regarded (Jeti, Multiplex, Hitec for lower end). There are the OpenTX (open source control software) radios produced in China. Frsky and RadioMaster. Can do anything, and more, than you could possibly imagine, at a very inexpensive price - but you pay with time by going through a long learning curve. No longer can you get, generally, complete setups. Transmitters, receivers, and servos are all sold separately. Transmitters and receivers usually need to be the same brand. Servos are almost always "generic" and can be swapped between systems. Brands noted are all dependable. There are some aftermarket receivers sold by others that are less so.
2. With everything being pretty much ARF (Almost Ready to Fly), electrics usually come with the items installed, or a very specific list of items to purchase separately. Not as easy for retrofitting an older plane - there is no equivalent to "any .40 size engine". Hence you have to become familiar with choosing from the myriad of Speed Controls, Motors, Props, Batteries - their specs and how they work together, before considering brand. Best to seek recommendations in the various Electric forums from those that have retrofitted the same (or similar) plane as yours and get what they used/recommend to start.
Old 08-02-2022, 02:36 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

When you last were flying did your equipment give you any problems? If not your FM radio is still legal to fly with. There are a few clubs that have gone 2.4 only. Does the old radio have a plug in module? If so you may be able to replace it with a 2.4 module. A couple new receivers, and you can be in the air in no time. Then my best advice would be to fly with what you have and this will give you time to look around and ask questions before you purchase new. In the meantime you will be out flying and working the rust out with equipment you are familiar with.

As far as flying IC or electric it's mostly personal preference. Even though I have lots of electrics I still love to hear the sound of an IC engine.

Last edited by Propworn; 08-02-2022 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:37 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Propworn gives good advice. The only things to watch for if firing up your old system:
a. Batteries must be replaced. Most are using Nickle Metal Hydrid as a direct replacement for NiCads. NiCads can still be found. NiMh has much greater capacity, and faster charging ability. Your old chargers will work, but due to increase of capacity will take a lot longer to fully charge the packs.
b. At very least, do detailed range checking both power off and power on. Components can age, and tuning can drift. Places like Radio South can do a full check/tuneup if needed.

The good news is that you likely will be the only one using the frequency, or any 72mhz frequency, at the field..so no conflict worries!
Old 08-03-2022, 05:51 PM
Joseph Frost

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm one of those rarities, and LOL, flying daily on 36 megs. problem free, making use of the superior 9-10ch. SPCM receives that we used to pay 300 bux plus for. The wind sock comes handy on my radios.

Antennawind sock comes usefull.

Nicer in dead calm.

The worst model in my fleet still on 36 meg.