Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Need advice

Old 08-07-2022, 06:57 AM
badangle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice

Hello allI have a medical ailment named 'benign tremor ' that causes my hands to shake but only when trying to do something like put a key in the door lock.
I usually fly later in the day to avoid the crowd and I fly by bumping the stick with my thumb instead of resting my thumb on top. This was how my instructor had me learn long time ago..
Question...is this a problem?
Last time flying a club member was not pleased that my thumb has not on top of stick..
I'm thinking of quitting flying.....age 67.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:19 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badangle View Post
Hello allI have a medical ailment named 'benign tremor ' that causes my hands to shake but only when trying to do something like put a key in the door lock.
I usually fly later in the day to avoid the crowd and I fly by bumping the stick with my thumb instead of resting my thumb on top. This was how my instructor had me learn long time ago..
Question...is this a problem?
Last time flying a club member was not pleased that my thumb has not on top of stick..
I'm thinking of quitting flying.....age 67.
Many years ago, I trained a gentleman who had Parkinson's. I had him sit in a chair and rest his arm on his lap. That helped a lot, but within 10 minutes the tremor in his hand all but stopped. You could try pinching the stick, with your arm on your lap. This hobby/sport is much too important to quit. All I do is twist arms to give people at least a 30 free RC flying experience. That's how I kept my hobby shop open I had some 10 years ago. I got more walk-in new fliers than from local clubs.

Fly Before You Buy Hobby was the name of my hobby shop.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:28 AM
badangle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I said, I usually fly later in the day as it's much less crowded... sometimes I'm alone and I don't have any problem. Every year the club wants me to fly in front of them I guess as some safety thing...last time I had to fly under those conditions I was very nervous and my knee started shaking. I always thought that was just a saying until it happened...
I Shake much more when I'm being watched.....it's a curse...buy maybe it is a safety concern for the pilots around me.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:01 PM
init4fun

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by badangle View Post
As I said, I usually fly later in the day as it's much less crowded... sometimes I'm alone and I don't have any problem. Every year the club wants me to fly in front of them I guess as some safety thing...last time I had to fly under those conditions I was very nervous and my knee started shaking. I always thought that was just a saying until it happened...
I Shake much more when I'm being watched.....it's a curse...buy maybe it is a safety concern for the pilots around me.

Hi badangle,

In my not so humble, crotchety old guy opinion here ,

As long as you can safely maneuver the plane from the ground to the sky, and back to the ground again, I'd say it's none of their goddamned business how your manipulating the sticks !!!

If they get mouthy again, say to them; "Your right, if you think my thumb movements are scary, , , , , wait'l ya see me bump the sticks with a different appendage !"
The following users liked this post:
RCFlyerDan (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 02:10 PM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A fellow club member of mine has Parkinson's, and is dealing with it in a way that seems clever to me. I don't know if he learned this from someone else, or came up with it himself, but he says it helps him greatly.

On his aileron / elevator transmitter stick, he slid a little foam disk over the stick and pushed it down toward the bottom. The foam dampens his hand tremors, and makes it possible for him to fly. It looked like open-cell spongy seat cushion type foam. I imagine it would take some experimentation to get the right effect, without it restricting full stick movement.

Just something to consider.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:21 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Don’t give in!

Originally Posted by fliers1 View Post
This hobby/sport is much too important to quit.
This hobby of flying, building and camaraderie has mentally and physically saved many of us.

As long as you can safely take off, fly and land somewhere near the runway, if not on it. Then it truly isn’t any of their business. There are those younger, without medical issues, that can’t land on the runway. Living in retirement land of the old crotchety, especially when the old crotchety snowbirds come back every year…..most of the time. Some don’t make it back….ever.🤔 But, they come here to Florida and tell those of us who live and fly year around how to fly. They act like we couldn’t survive without them the six to nine months they are gone. But, I digress.
Besides the great advice for trying to solve some of the physical flying issues. If one of the instructors, or officers is a buddy of yours, consider taking him to lunch and meet him when he fly’s. Maybe he can fly with you on your time schedule and convince the others that you are safe. Consider becoming an officer, so that more are aware of how important this hobby is to your life and mental well being. I belong to two clubs and have been a member of four clubs per year to solve my flying needs. Consider joining another near by club. The issue is that they may require you to fly a flight check.
Now that I have written my response, I happened to look to see where you are located. Do you fly at Area 52? If so, get in touch with Gordon McLean. He has been an officer and I think was even the President a couple years. He is super nice and would be very helpful. If you love warbirds, you’ll fit right in with Gordon and a few others that fly them there. If you don’t belong to the field, consider joining. I miss flying there. It is a beautiful wilderness flying field out in the middle of nowhere. There are two HUGE and WIDE 750+ Foot runways. Easy to hit for any check flight. The only thing that you can hit at this field is maybe a wild hog, deer, tree, and would have to try really hard to hit anyone or things in the pits or parking lot. Truly a beautiful field with lots of space. Some of the other fields, like Ingles, and others that I have flown at are kind of small.

https://www.baycityflyers.org/

Best wishes! Dan
init4fun (08-19-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 12:44 AM
Joseph Frost

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

There is a time every used by date modeler should know when to quit this hobby, you can always take up chess, it takes more to think about.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:46 PM
Charlie P.

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have Dupuytrens Contracture and osteo arthritis. I'll be damned if I let some f*cken condition ground me as long as I can safely see and control a model. It's therapy to use what I may otherwise lose.

Maybe you should take up knitting instead of giving advice?

Last edited by Charlie P.; 08-17-2022 at 06:48 PM.
init4fun (08-19-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 08:18 PM
Joseph Frost

Originally Posted by Charlie P. View Post
I have Dupuytrens Contracture and osteo arthritis. I'll be damned if I let some f*cken condition ground me as long as I can safely see and control a model. It's therapy to use what I may otherwise lose.

Maybe you should take up knitting instead of giving advice?
How about 10 pin bowling? Heavy ball makes you more stable. Another great alternative.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:46 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

what do yall expect from a prisoner in austrailia...

heck, they will not even stand up for their own rights and liberty.
Old 08-18-2022, 12:58 AM
Joseph Frost

Originally Posted by mongo View Post
what do yall expect from a prisoner in austrailia...

heck, they will not even stand up for their own rights and liberty.
Yea, agree with all these convicts down here, not long ago even got locked in this historical prison with my GIANT Delta turbine jet for a month of hard labor to be flogged by public, didn't win, some other crap did, LOL.

Last glimse of freedom!

Finally released after month of no flying punishment and LOL.