Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Resumed Hobbies After Months Of "Time Off" >

Resumed Hobbies After Months Of "Time Off"

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Resumed Hobbies After Months Of "Time Off"

Old 09-08-2022, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Resumed Hobbies After Months Of "Time Off"

I got banged up in a motorcycle accident. Once fully healed, I will be in better shape to resume a hobby I left for quite some time. I'm in the process of cutting down motorcycle or scooter related activities in favor of R/C models. Anyone else take "time off" from the R/C hobby, only to resume it much later in life? I'm finding out which remotes still had AA batteries or nickel rechargeable batteries in them. Unfortunately, what comes with this discovery is the battery leakage and corrosion that fresh lemon juice with a Q-tip can clean up. To go along with this are nitro engines that might be locked up. I'm sure the AA batteries in the model for the receiver power are probably leaking and need replacement as well. Some of my truck models are so old they are using AM or FM radios. I'm sure some of my sailboats and/or planes are also in need of a 2.4GHz upgrade. I've got an HPI Baja with a locked up 2 stroke engine, so that will keep me busy. They are a lot of fun, but I recall grinding away the teeth of one of the key drive gears and getting extras online compatible with the Rovan(?). I'm sure I have "puffy" LIPO batteries that need proper and safe disposal. It's going to be quite an adventure getting back into this hobby, especially since I don't own my Ford F250 truck anymore. That full bed had room for transporting 5 foot wingspan planes, etc. I might wait for some cold waves here in South Florida USA, since I'd probably pass out going to the Delray Beach park off Atlantic Avenue with the weather the way it is right now. My AMA expired and I don't have Namba membership yet.
The following users liked this post:
Alinaa (09-08-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 02:24 PM

I was out of RC for 15 years. A lot has changed. I would trash all of the old stuff and start fresh. Bite the bullet and go electric. Somehow, I am finding foam electric as much fun as nitro motors and balsa kits.
Old 09-10-2022, 07:53 AM

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome back to the hobby! Last thing I would do would be to get out of Nitro. Like to hear the roar of my Fuelies! I have a few Lipo planes, but mostly Nitro planes interspersed with electric cars and boats. Running one nicad and the rest Life batteries in my Nitro stuff. Two nicad boats, everything else is Lipo. Done mentally with batteries..... Anything with alkaline/nicad/NiMH batteries need removal when not in use to avoid leakage for sure. If I could power my transmitter on Nitro, I would..... Batteries are a pain.... Heat in the oven at 150 degrees or so and soaking in Fuel will usually free up engines. Good luck healing and have fun!
Old 09-10-2022, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just returned to flying rc after 20 years away. Had my first flight this week. Things sure have changed but the tech is so much better now.
Old 09-11-2022, 03:02 AM

Hope you have many more Spike!
The following users liked this post:
PilotSpike (09-11-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 06:46 PM

Thanks, I intend to. I really want to get into building again, but seems most of the kits I wanted to build are gone. Lol.
Old 09-11-2022, 07:05 PM

What kind of planes do you like to build? I prefer WW II myself. We might be able to steer you in the direction of what's left to build.
Old 09-12-2022, 02:01 PM

I believe that I am going to tend towards Golden Age & WW1. There are a few sig type kits that have my interest but it sounds like its going to be a while until they have stock. Some of the balsa usa kits are interesting.

Id love to find 1/4 scale decathlon or citabria, but haven't seen much.

J
Old 09-13-2022, 01:10 AM

Glad you got back into it now have some fun,,
Old 09-23-2022, 01:30 PM

Best of luck man
Old 09-23-2022, 04:35 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Agree that those batteries that are leaking must be discarded otherwise, radios shouldn't go bad.

A lot of replies for such an occasion are usually met with a response of replacing all batteries for radio equipment without regard to status in the interest of safety which is admirable and well intentioned.

However, since you have been in the hobby before and if you have the equipment, check your battery packs that aren't leaking before discarding. NiCads can be revived in some cases by "zapping" the cells with higher voltage and then trickle charged overnight. I've used a 12-Volt motorcycle battery to do this task with no more than approximately 5 seconds of "zapping" one time and progressively shorter duration "zaps" with 5 second beaks thereafter - approximately five times preceding an actual charge event. Check your batteries with a multimeter if necessary. Cycle the batteries several times to evaluate status and to see if you can get by with what you have. If you get two-thirds rated capacity out of a particular pack, I'd definitely use it. Been doing this procedure on existing equipment for at least twenty years without failure.

As stated previously, heat was always found to be the best way to loosen up frozen engines.