Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Silk and Dope!

Old 10-08-2022, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Silk and Dope!

It looks like I may be going back in the good old days after all because I am having a hard time getting some Monokote covering that I want to use.
So I'll have to go back to the good silk and dope and paint my models this way I do have a good paint sprayer on hand.May be the best after all I'm only building 1/4 scale model so maybe it will look more like the real thing after all.The only problem with this setup is the smell it does not hurt me but my lady it's going to be heck on her.It's been about 42 years cents I have use silk and dope on a model.Guess it's time to get high again lol.The good old dope smell it stays with you for a while or it does me.And it's just way to cold to do this outside here in Caribou Maine.Temps get to 45 below degree here in the winter some times.And I think I may want to build a set of skies for some of my models too.I did this about 42 years ago too guess going back in time will be the new norm for me I always did things different anyway.I'll give an update on my Sig Spacewalker 2 I now have the wings put together and the top sheeting done on it.Now I have to start the fuselage before I can finish the wing or so it tells me on building this model.And it has turned out that the only way I can have anytime build this model or any other model that I want to build is I had to tell the lady here I'm going to build my modes no matter even if it means I have to stay up all night so be it.And that just what I have done this time around I've been up cents 12am here and I not going to bed until I get to start my fuselage started today.I hate to be this way but I'm getting back into building my RC planes again and I am loving it too.
Old 10-09-2022, 08:04 AM

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Rather than silk I would recommend Sig Koverall. You still adhere it to the frame like silk but it will heat shrink. Lately I've been getting my nitrate dope from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. Since Koverall is heat shrinkable, an alternative is to use Minwax Polycrylic water based urethane as a filler for the fabric. Final coats will of course depend on what you are using for power but fabric is still a very viable covering technique.