Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

When did you discover RC?

Old 01-02-2023, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When did you discover RC?

I have always been interested in mechanical things. I loved building static model cars, planes and ships in the 80's. I got a programable robot tank in like 1982 for Christmas. It had a keypad that you had to input a sequence of numbers to program the path it took. At the time I thought this thing was amazing. A few years after this I tried building an rc plane. Back then it was balsa and tissue for the covering. No electric motors back then. It was a small nitro motor. Cannot for the life of me remember the name of the plane or where I bought it. It took probably 3 months to build and about 20 seconds to destroy. During the build my parents were convinced I was getting high on the glue. Once the plane was built and electronic and motor tested I took it to the field for the maiden. Back then it was just an open field. Not sure if there were clubs or not. Set the plane done, started the little glow motor and checked the flight controls. All looked good. Gave it throttle and it took off.... but veered to the left... and crashed into 1000 pieces. I don't remember if I tried to repair it or not. Probably not. Found a really cool Tamaiya F-150 rc truck to play with. This thing had a pretty powerful electric motor, rubber tires, spring shocks and a sealed electronics bay so you could drive anywhere. This thing was amazing. After that I took a long hiatus when I joined the military but found the hobby again in 2005 with a Walkera RTF Heli. I must have been sleeping when electric flight took over....
Old 01-02-2023, 05:46 PM

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

I have discovered RC when you needed some skills to handle it. Never had more fun ever since, LOL

My first RC discovery, 5ch. running off 4ch primitive radio. That rotor blade would kill you on the spot! LOL.
Old 01-02-2023, 06:10 PM

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

1967. Echo transmitter by F&M Electronics. Just two buttons - one for power, one momentary push button. No servos back then - used a "compound" escapement powered by a long rubber band. Push the button once for full right rudder, rapidly twice for full left rudder. That was all. Airplane was a Goldberg Skylane 62 powered by a Golden Bee .049
Of course it crashed. Built another, and it crashed. Built a Mini-Mambo and it flew long enough to hit a water tower and crash. Still have the electronics, although in no state to actually use.
Old 01-03-2023, 05:02 AM

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

1966 - Don't fully remember the transmitter but it only had one push button for two channel control. I think it was a Kraft.