Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

I'm back after a few (13) years, my how the hobby has changed!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

I'm back after a few (13) years, my how the hobby has changed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 06:29 PM
Adui

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm back after a few (13) years, my how the hobby has changed!

Like the title says, back!! I talk often and fondly o my days in the early 2000s flying at the Evergreen Aeromodelers club and field. Since 2010 I have been out of the hobby due to finances. I'm in a place to start back flying park models and electrics, but had not pulled the trigger on anything except Real Flight simulator my wife got me in 2017. All that ended Friday when my buddies bought me a cheap little P51 park flyer.

I found a place nearby in Mesa that allows flying and went expecting to be the only guy there actually flying. Sunday is the gathering day, and there was a large group flying!! I flew my little bird through both batteries but nearly lost it on the first flight. The thing has the gyro and assist mode. Beginner mode means watching your plane fly away! (I had nearly zero control. I walked 200+ yards to find my plane...) Intermediate let me fly with some safety like a buddy box, Expert... well I still have to get my wings back LOL! But the good news is the tiny little foamy weighs nothing so it didn't hit hard enough to break it.

I have a Flite Test model I bought and built, just the airframe. I'm going to get the rest of the gear to fly it next. meanwhile, I intend to go every Sunday morning to visit with the group and fly my squirrely little mustang.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:32 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

great news!
great story!
thanks for sharing, which flite test model did you get? I bought some for my grand kids for S.T.E.M. They used to enjoy my flight simulator.
read up on real lipo safety and see how others are doing it. This is something that can bite.
Welcome back.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:33 AM
Adui

I'm pretty sure it's the Bloody Barron kit. I still have to get the electronics for it, as well as a battery and charger, but as I said in my previous post I do have the little mustang to fly till then
Old 01-25-2023, 11:08 PM
1Deerwhacker

Default Me too……

I’m just returning to the hobby from the 80’s !
Imagine how I feel…….electric EVERYTHING, and here I sit with all nitro stuff, and FM radios…..😱
Old 01-26-2023, 07:49 AM
Adui

Originally Posted by 1Deerwhacker
I’m just returning to the hobby from the 80’s !
Imagine how I feel…….electric EVERYTHING, and here I sit with all nitro stuff, and FM radios…..😱
Nothing wrong with Nitro, except the price these days! .😱 The FM, you might want to upgrade that, but for now you can be relatively sure no one is on your chanel!
Old 01-28-2023, 09:39 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I love the fragrant odor of a glow engine when someone flys one at the field. But they are becoming few and far between. So don’t be embarrassed, or fear that the electric guys will snub their nose at you. There are still those of us that love the sound and smell.
With the older radios, as others have mentioned, make sure they have the FCC updates. Be aware that a lot of clubs have gotten rid of the frequency board. So you might have to be your own monitor. But don’t worry, you will be about the only one still flying 72.
Depending upon battery price, some are expensive, even in NiMh. If close enough to a $100, consider buying one of the less expensive 2.4 radios that will also come with a new battery.